Conspiracy theories agogo

greg1917

Having joined this website recently, I looked over some old threads. the ones involving Adam and Zarkov were most amusing purely for their blind faith in their own theories, if you can call their inane ramblings theories.

the thing i found most amusing was a general point about conspiracy theories. Adam thought that there was a planet with an elliptical orbit which caused earths magnetic poles to flip every 3600 years. he then said it was the US governments biggest secret and it was usually hushed up because we were told it was a supernova.

Now for the sake of argument lets suppose he was right. The US government with its multi billion dollar security budget would probably do a half decent job about covering that up. The chances of somone like adam stumbling onto this are somewhat remote given the scale of the proposed conspiracy.

aside from adam, how can people believe they uncover things like this? 'lies' of this magnitude wouldnt have cover up stories as flimsy as most conspiracy theories. I dont know about most people but i tend to be a believer of the simplicity theory, that is in most conundrums the first simple, logical explanation people think of is usually the right one. not the US government covering things up, or black helicopters following rednecks and doctoring their tax return forms or my favourite one, the Raelian philosophy. not really a conspiracy theory but laughable none the less.

The chances of somone like adam stumbling onto this are somewhat remote given the scale of the proposed conspiracy.

And this is exactly the way it always is proported (by conspiracy theorists) to be. They alone have stumbled upon the world's greatest secret!! Aliens have visited them, God has talked to them, the ancient summarians predicted it...whatever it may be. One person starts a ruckus, and then people jump on board.

I tend to think it is something psychological for these people who believe in this sort of thing; perhaps that they WANT to believe in something more than just the ordinary. I even find myself very interested in reading what they have to say, it has some strange attaction. Mind you, my common sense is alive and quite active, but I often find myself fascinated with the unknown and unexplained. Some people are obviously so fascinated they are able to block out common sense in order to believe what they want to believe. Suppossedly, planet X is going to slam into earth sometime this spring. Common sense woudl tell you any amateur with a half-way decent telescope would be able to see the planet by now, especially since its supposed to be a lot larger than earth. But I'm sure they have some explanation as to why this is not possible. What they want to believe dictates the way they think. Those of us who still have a shred of sense left can't understand how someone could be so blind.

Of course, maybe thats just what the government wants you to believe ;)

i tend to agree with blike on this one. the mentality of some people that post this stuff is somewhat bemusing at times. i can't remember exactly what Zarkov came up with now, but i've been reading the forums for a while before i actually started posting here the other day, and i believe it was something along the lines of spin gravity or something. now, i'm not a physicist by nature (i'm currently preparing to start a maths degree at Warwick), but i can tell what's right and what is fundamentally wrong.

what probably astounds me more is people's acceptance to take this stuff in (especially when it's popularized so much by the media) even when significant evidence is provided to the contrary. i suppose, as you say, that is has something to do with people wanting to believe something different than the truth. one of the more famous ones is the NASA conspiracy that nobody actually landed on the moon, which i personally find quite amusing :)

Psychology must play a big part I suppose. Although a lot of it must be self appreciation - by attacking something as massive as the US government one makes oneself feel more important and it could be seen as an attempt to elevate yourself above people who dont subscribe to the theory, most conspiracy theorists seme to treat others who dont believe with contempt.

Originally posted by greg1917

Now for the sake of argument lets suppose he was right. The US government with its multi billion dollar security budget would probably do a half decent job about covering that up. The chances of somone like adam stumbling onto this are somewhat remote given the scale of the proposed conspiracy.

Adam wrote to the CIA enclosing a self-addressed envelope and they told him everything.

Do try to keep up.

:D

I thought zarkov was being sarcastic when he was proposing his zarkovian gravity theory but when i saw how big the thread was and how much hed developed his theory (although he never gave any of the amths to my knowledge) i began to realize that sarcasm was giving way to misguided over zealous self belief.

Gravity due to spin (centrifugal force) is actually a real force, but it's certainly not the only force that exists like he claimed.

And it doesn't account for crop circles, which one of the most stupid claims he made while here.

Originally posted by fafalone

And it doesn't account for crop circles, which one of the most stupid claims he made while here.

I think he was actually being sarcastic on that occasion, which is paranormal in itself.

Originally posted by Dudde

hmm...sort of makes me wish I'd sought relief from my intellectual boredom sooner...

pyramids being used for water?O_o

His argument wasn't that bad actually, but his complete lack of evidence let him down.