A BRIDGE?

rigney

Sort of scary. But! will such a rationale of interaction ever exist in this world, other than such an incident?

http://www.liveleak....=69c_1324490734

Sort of scary?! Movies can be "sort of" scary. Being a meter away from an unknown silverback in a chance encounter like that would have had me watering the foliage as I sat there.

MAN... I would have crapped my pants. I'm not quite understanding your question. Are you asking if we will ever have any reason for such interactions? If so, I say because it's f**ing cool. If that wasn't the question you intended though please elaborate.

Ditto. The title threw me off. It sounds like you're aghast that this happened and are calling for someone to put a stop to it.

Just sayin'.

No! not aghast at all. But seeing this and at the same time trying to understand the bitterness between nations and cultures, I do wonder at our overall civilized intellect???

Maybe civilized is where we went wrong? I can understand the sentiment. I have thought about this several times while growing up in the sticks. The sound of cars on a near highway that didn't used to be there would make me angry at times. But on the turnabout to that thinking you would also have to wonder what we would be like without the advancements we've made. Would we be just as mean as that silverback would be if someone made the wrong move in his territory? We wouldn't be as knowledgable, but does that sort of thing really matter in the long run?

No! not aghast at all. But seeing this and at the same time trying to understand the bitterness between nations and cultures, I do wonder at our overall civilized intellect???

Most nations and cultures are not bitter about each other at all. Especially if you are not seen as a threat, you are not likely to have problems.

If you are seen as a threat, then gorillas and humans alike will defend their territory.

I've visited a lot of places in the world, and I felt welcome everywhere... and I guess that's because I did not make a wrong move. But when you are among other humans, it is really easy to make the right moves. And even if you make the wrong move, you are likely forgiven because you're a stranger.

You might like to see the video this link takes you to. http://www.wildfilmhistory.org/film/241/clip/419/David+Attenborough%92s+legendary+encounter+with+a+family+of+mountain+gorillas.html

In my life I have lived for a time among people of a few nations. Germans, Singaporeans and Maldivians. In my working life within the Royal Air force and in civilian life I have taught technical matters to Jordanians, Egyptians, Iranians (in the time of the Shah), Nigerians, Malaysians, Argentinians and Omanis . Without exception I have found that a human being is a human being and even differences of religion and culture have very, very little effect on the rapport and empathy that can rapidly develop if goodwill and a willingness to extend the hand of friendship exists on both sides.

I can easily understand the unofficial cease fire said to have taken place in the trenches of WW1 for carol singing at Christmas 1914.

Edited by TonyMcC

You might like to see the video this link takes you to. http://www.wildfilmhistory.org/film/241/clip/419/David+Attenborough%92s+legendary+encounter+with+a+family+of+mountain+gorillas.html

In my life I have lived for a time among people of a few nations. Germans, Singaporeans and Maldivians. In my working life within the Royal Air force and in civilian life I have taught technical matters to Jordanians, Egyptians, Iranians (in the time of the Shah), Nigerians, Malaysians, Argentinians and Omanis . Without exception I have found that a human being is a human being and even differences of religion and culture have very, very little effect on the rapport and empathy that can rapidly develop if goodwill and a willingness to extend the hand of friendship exists on both sides.

I can easily understand the unofficial cease fire said to have taken place in the trenches of WW1 for carol singing at Christmas 1914.

Likely, this is as close to what I meant to say, as anything else I may ever add. Read his bio.