Poor science education standards

Santalum

It depends on the misinformation. Am I giving misinformation when I say that kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2?

That in turn depends on the situation (relativistis vs Newtonian physics). In your case one can be reasonably confident that the answer will fit the context.

In the case of a lawyer or MD I have no such confidence.

I want to agree, but there are certain conditions where one shouldn't make mistakes. Imagine a lawyer not knowing a tiny piece of law that could get his client off; a doctor that thinks a stethoscope is a tongue depressor...

Well, we are all human with a finite capacity to assimilate knowledge and from time to time we will get "caught out". The point should be that elementary mistakes should not be made. But then who defines elementary?

With the emu's knee, in retrospect that looks like an elementary mistake, with the proviso that the person is familiar with avian anatomy.The tour guide should brush up on that, but I would not let that be a guide to educational standards.

I was under the impression that it was the emu's knee that was backwards, it looks like that until you look at it closer. I learnt something new due to this thread :D

That in turn depends on the situation (relativistis vs Newtonian physics). In your case one can be reasonably confident that the answer will fit the context.

Maybe this is the point. Maybe the tour guide knows the anatomy quite well and was trying to fit the description to the audience of children. I mean it looks like the knee and in essence plays the role of a knee in loose relation to our anatomy. Without asking the person in question we will never know.

Maybe this is the point. Maybe the tour guide knows the anatomy quite well and was trying to fit the description to the audience of children. I mean it looks like the knee and in essence plays the role of a knee in loose relation to our anatomy. Without asking the person in question we will never know.

This is a very good point. And if we wanted to critique description of the tour guide in terms of precision one would also have to know the correct wording. Obviously other metrics (i.e. certain statistics) paint a better picture in terms of scientific education. However, without looking at statistics I can think of the movement to teach "alternative theories" to evolution in science classes as detrimental to science education.

I learnt something new due to this thread :D

Yeah, me too! It would take me fifty years of intense study to be able to conduct a decent conversation with some of the incredible brains here. Well, I don't have fifty years, so I'll settle for picking up little tidbits of knowledge from this site.

It depends on the misinformation. Am I giving misinformation when I say that kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2?

Do I need to open a new thread to ask why the ^ in that equation? It's: Kinetic Energy equals half the mass, times velocity squared (which is the 2).

I see a lot of equations like P1 with the 1 being small (subscript?). What's that about?

Do I need to open a new thread to ask why the ^ in that equation? It's: Kinetic Energy equals half the mass, times velocity squared (which is the 2).

Many programming languages represent exponentiation with the ^ symbol; hence x^2 means "x to the power of 2". In cases where we can't easily write out the nice mathematical notation, it's easy to just use ^.