How Effective is Spermicide?

kenel

How effectively does Spermicide reduce the number of active sperm in a semen sample? And if possible, what percentage is neutralized?

(More specifically...what is the sperm reduction rate of spermicide used in Trojan Brand condoms?)

Statistics vary, but condoms are highly effective in preventing pregnancy. Their efficacy is very much dependent upon consistent and proper use. There are no good data on the added benefit of the spermicide in actual use. We do know that the amount of spermicide we put in the condoms kills sperm completely and quickly in lab tests. It is there to help kill sperm if the condom should break or some semen spills out. However, the actual amount of added benefit has not been established.

Source: http://www.justrubbers.com/faq2.html#10

Interesting question, kenel :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have only used condoms. I tried spermicidal condoms once. They have a bad odor and not only that the condom seemed much smaller. I actually couldn't use them. I was really mad I wanted to get action that night but I couldnt. Anyway, I have never had a condom break on me. Condoms will cut it, but if I remember what my teacher said in health class condoms are 93% effective. Spermicidal lubricants are 75%. If you use them together (condom and lube) they are 99% effective. The only way it isnt 100% is if you dont let the lube become active. I hear it takes 15 min for it to work in. And most of us are not that patient...

Before I got married my now ex-wife used a diaphragm and got pregnant. Then with her third husband she was on the pill and got pregnant.

It happens so be careful. I still have two great step-sons from the accidents.

I decided on getting a vasectomy as safest. It hurts but is still just as fun and messy just in case you ever consider it. They give you a sperm count test before and weeks after the surgery. I thought I had a low sperm count but I peeked in the door of the lab and saw the nurse was only spitting half my sample into the test tube. Good luck you all.

Just aman:banme:

• 2 weeks later...

Condoms don't always work. I fathered 3 children who obviously chewed through the latex.

Birth control pills are less effective.

Diaphrams aren't any better.

Vascectomies work well. I'd suggest that every young man get one at the age of 12. You can reverse it, and if you can't afford to, then you need to seriously reconsider your reasons for fathering a child at that time.

I'm going to do my boys the favor of having it done at about that age.

You make a good point Hogslayer. If there was a reversable birth control and it couldn't be reversed till you were 18 then a lot of problems would be solved. Of course aids and vd might get worse.

Oh well.

Just aman.