Does gravity work at absolute zero?

losfomot

Ophiolite:"Yourdad is just being his usual inaccurate self."

5614:this place is about learning' date=' just coz he's wrong dont mean you should put him down... more you should just teach him.

[/quote']

If he was uneducated and none too bright I would never consider 'putting him down'. I don't believe he is either of those things. He has displayed, from time to time, what I take to be laziness. If one is going to make an absolute statement, as he did in this case, it should be checked. It took me well under five minutes to check it and confirm my suspicion that he was wrong. I would like to think I am teaching him in two ways: one, through providing the link; two, through kicking him repeatedly till he checks his facts.

I can find nothing to support his contention that gravity is less at absolute zero. I did not challenge that because I sensed a less than total refutation from our physics gurus.

Thanks for the suggestions on Smilies. Sometimes I can drag and drop from 'Post Icons', sometimes I can't.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe by definition absolute zero is the temperature at which all motion stops. If an object is moving toward another, there is motion so it can't be at absolute zero. I have a model in which gravity is due to pressure variances within an aether, where masses of aether (and the matter within) move in the direction of lower pressure (details at dynamictensegrity.com). Equal temperature (absolute zero) throughout a system would indicate equal pressure (I think) so no motion.

I believe by definition absolute zero is the temperature at which all motion stops.

but all velocity or motion cannot stop due to quantum mechanic's uncertainty principle. a thing called zero point energy has been discovered, this is the minimal amount of energy something must contain. The minimal velocity allowed by quantum mechanics is therefore not strictly zero, and therefore the minimal energy is not zero either.

one sec... you type 1 instead of 0 ????

if that's so then Ophiolite's quote: "If he was uneducated and none too bright I would never consider 'putting him down'. I don't believe he is either of those things. He has displayed, from time to time, what I take to be laziness." is dead true.

[edit] its just that like 1 and 0 are at opposite ends of the keyboard!

hey buddy, look at your keyboard. the 1 is right next to the 0.

I can find nothing to support his contention that gravity is less at absolute zero. I did not challenge that because I sensed a less than total refutation from our physics gurus.

uh, lower temp=lower energy=lower mass=lower gravity.

I have a model in which gravity is due to pressure variances within an aether, where masses of aether (and the matter within) move in the direction of lower pressure (details at dynamictensegrity.com).

I missed this first time around.

I suspect that your model is, at best, incomplete; an aether implies an absolute frame of reference for the universe, and that went out with Newton, let alone Einstein.