I can see you all have a sense of humor.

homie12

I can see you all have a sense of humor. Ending a topic with a question then locking it. Darn thats like being in a round room and being told to sit in the corner :D

And sense we are in the specualtion forum. We must move dark matter and dark energy over here. Because an opinion being popular is no proof of its reality. Also one doesnt have to want to be different to realize, being well adjusted to a profoundly sick society is no proof of health. thamks for all the insight.:rolleyes:

Are we here to learn something new or reinforce what we think we already know :rolleyes:

after reviewing back through related themes and paths I have been in, I have to know,,, How old are you kids?:rolleyes:

Possibly as low as zero.

As far as I can see he has started 2 threads and they are both still open (thus far).

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/63870-i-can-see-you-all-have-a-sense-of-humor/page__pid__656146#entry656146

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/63850-cohesiveness/page__pid__656144#entry656144

It seems the OP can't count to zero.

I can see you all have a sense of humor. Ending a topic with a question then locking it.

In the two threads you've started you've raised issues with absolutely no supporting material, and your other posts show a lack of comprehension of what thread hijacking is (please review the rules) That's not exactly an auspicious beginning. To which topic do you refer?

I have to know,,, How old are you kids?:rolleyes:

You first.

And sense we are in the specualtion forum. We must move dark matter and dark energy over here. Because an opinion being popular is no proof of its reality. Also one doesnt have to want to be different to realize, being well adjusted to a profoundly sick society is no proof of health. thamks for all the insight.:rolleyes:

Are we here to learn something new or reinforce what we think we already know :rolleyes:

after reviewing back through related themes and paths I have been in, I have to know,,, How old are you kids?:rolleyes:

Dark Matter and Energy have been hypothesised by qualified scientists who have years of training and the requisite math's ability to contemplate the problems left in science that these two ideas are trying to solve...not some guy sitting at his pc suddenly having a "eureka" moment and feeling a compelling need to share it with the world. There's a big difference, in terms of effort and eventual consensus, between a peer-reviewed idea and a back-of-the-envelope one. This is why the latter ends up in Speculation.

The overall tone of your posts will ensure you a short stay here if you persist with it. May I suggest you shut your mouth for a while and just follow the flow of the forum and see how it operates and, hopefully, it will make sense to you why things are so? ;)

Edited by StringJunky

well its nice of you 3 to be the ones taking cheap shots. I probably deserved it. So let me work on my communication skills here. As I am new I will get better. I was refering to the age thing because I guess some of you have been texting on this site for a while. and yes some even call yourselves experts. I will have to watch your style and maybe gain some new experience. By the way what importance are blanket statements such as qualified scientists with years of training and are you assuming that im sitting behind a pc with a eureka moment or who were you refering to? well i managed to stick to this topic thats a start yes?

In the two threads you've started you've raised issues with absolutely no supporting material, and your other posts show a lack of comprehension of what thread hijacking is (please review the rules) That's not exactly an auspicious beginning. To which topic do you refer?

im sorry could you be more specific? And yes my comunication skills need a lot of improving. this I wil immediately work on. as i have seen a commitment on the part of most of you to genuine about wnating to discuss factual ideas. and thanks for your responses.

You first.

Dark Matter and Energy have been hypothesised by qualified scientists who have years of training and the requisite math's ability to contemplate the problems left in science that these two ideas are trying to solve...not some guy sitting at his pc suddenly having a "eureka" moment and feeling a compelling need to share it with the world. There's a big difference, in terms of effort and eventual consensus, between a peer-reviewed idea and a back-of-the-envelope one. This is why the latter ends up in Speculation.

The overall tone of your posts will ensure you a short stay here if you persist with it. May I suggest you shut your mouth for a while and just follow the flow of the forum and see how it operates and, hopefully, it will make sense to you why things are so? ;)

and no you may not suggest to me to shut my mouth. You can however tell me or explain my shortcomings. I do have legitimate questions. Now I will have to learn legitimate ways of stating them. . And i wont suggest nor would i want you to shut your mouth. I would like to know what is in your head so thanks for your responses.

I don't know about the others but I'm 46. Perhaps the most interesting facet of that is that it's in my profile where homie12 could have looked if he had the sense.

On a related note I wonder if the "12" in his name is his age, shoe size , IQ or what.

Would you speak like that to any human in real life?

Would you speak like that to any human in real life?

Probably not. I doubt, for example that anyone would have prompted be to do so by asking "I have to know,,, How old are you kids?"

If, in real life, they had complained about someone locking a thread that wasn't locked, then (in spite of the fact that my age is probably fairly obvious from my looks or from checking my profile) gone on to ask how old I was, I might well speak like that.

I wonder if Homie12 does that sort of thing in real life.

Edited by John Cuthber

well its nice of you 3 to be the ones taking cheap shots. I probably deserved it.

Yes, quite. People were responding to your cheap shots. Don't for a minute think that you can show up make an unsubstantiated accusation (which is still unsubstantiated, BTW) and ask a snide question and think that it is not provocation.

I have not seen on this Forum a presentation page of Mods & experts. Something like age/profession/PhDs/field of expertise would be informative.

Users are free to mention that in their profile and introduction thread. Some people want a level of anonymity, though, so this cannot be mandatory. In due time, the qualifications of users will become very apparent. Professional scientists will act like professional scientists and crackpots will act like crackpots.

Probably not. I doubt, for example that anyone would have prompted be to do so by asking "I have to know,,, How old are you kids?"

If, in real life, they had complained about someone locking a thread that wasn't locked, then (in spite of the fact that my age is probably fairly obvious from my looks or from checking my profile) gone on to ask how old I was, I might well speak like that.

I wonder if Homie12 does that sort of thing in real life.

I wasn't aware that he was personally attacking you, John, when he said "how old are you kids?"

But anyway, you don't know who you're making fun of, saying they have an IQ of 12. It's hard to remember when you're accustomed to the anonymity of a forum and the bleakness of the pixels... but there's an actual PERSON behind these posts, believe it or not.

Yes, I would talk to people like this in real life, especially if they were an arrogant ignorant fuckwit like this guy. What's your point, exactly?

Actually... Let me take that back. In real life, I'd probably punch this guy in the throat, but alas... Online I'm restricted to using my words to make a point. C'est la vie.

I wasn't aware that he was personally attacking you, John, when he said "how old are you kids?"

But anyway, you don't know who you're making fun of, saying they have an IQ of 12. It's hard to remember when you're accustomed to the anonymity of a forum and the bleakness of the pixels... but there's an actual PERSON behind these posts, believe it or not.

Do you plan, at any stage, to criticize the liar who started this thread by making a false allegation, then casting aspersions on our maturity?

The victims of that slur are PEOPLE too.

I don't know about the others but I'm 46. Perhaps the most interesting facet of that is that it's in my profile where homie12 could have looked if he had the sense.

On a related note I wonder if the "12" in his name is his age, shoe size , IQ or what.

I am 51, but I manage to change that from time to time.

Hoping that John don't believe I am 123456 years old. Free to believe that's my IQ. That is not my shoe size.

I strongly suggest a presentation note. I know that anonymity is a must over the net, but it would be good to know that a moderator/expert is not a teenager acting like a scientist, but a scientist.

It is very time consuming to go to each interlocutor profile and learn nothing in most of the case.

What does that cost?

Swansont, physicist, PhD from [insert country will do], age [twenties, thirties,will do].

Michel123456, Architect, ISABr Brussels Belgium, 51. oops I am not a Mod...

-------------

edit

John Cuthber, Chemist, England, 72? (my idea from his posts)

------------

edit#2

iNow, student?, Texas, 24? (my idea from his posts)

Edited by michel123456

Yes, I would talk to people like this in real life, especially if they were an arrogant ignorant fuckwit like this guy. What's your point, exactly?

Actually... Let me take that back. In real life, I'd probably punch this guy in the throat, but alas... Online I'm restricted to using my words to make a point. C'est la vie.

:lol: :lol:

I am 51, but I manage to change that from time to time.

Hoping that John don't believe I am 123456 years old. Free to believe that's my IQ. That is not my shoe size.

I strongly suggest a presentation note. I know that anonymity is a must over the net, but it would be good to know that a moderator/expert is not a teenager acting like a scientist, but a scientist.

It is very time consuming to go to each interlocutor profile and learn nothing in most of the case.

What does that cost?

Swansont, physicist, PhD from [insert country will do], age [twenties, thirties,will do].

-------------

edit

------------

edit#2

Nope, sorry. 72 is my IQ. :D

And I think stringjunky has a point.

I can see you all have a sense of humor. Ending a topic with a question then locking it. Darn thats like being in a round room and being told to sit in the corner :D

The mods are generally pretty lenient as long as there is some well supported science behind what is being said. Another thing is how the idea has been presented, if an idea is presented as fact and the OP plans to argue about it like he or she has made an earnest contribution to the scientific community the mods will likely shut it down pretty fast. The reason for this--I assume--is pretty much the same as my assumed reason why you are making your points, they feel insulted. People work really hard to make their contributions to have less scientifically mature individuals come along waiving their big ideas around, and a lot of the time they really do not understand what they are even saying. Threads that deal with controversial topics are best addressed by maintaining them as controversial, where they are best presented as open questions under debate which is quite different from presenting them as fact.

I have not seen on this Forum a presentation page of Mods & experts. Something like age/profession/PhDs/field of expertise would be informative.

Would be, but for most individuals this would probably not be to their benefit and it would be asking an awful lot. I say most because there are those who enjoy living dangerously!

Do you plan, at any stage, to criticize the liar who started this thread by making a false allegation, then casting aspersions on our maturity?

The victims of that slur are PEOPLE too.

I don't believe he was referring to his own threads, he may have been smug at points but I would expect that ignoring him is the most appropriate maneuver where confronting the behaviour might incite further such behaviour. I guess how individuals deal with their affronts are based on what the individual wishes to gain from their experiences. For me, molding those who do not meet my expectations into what I would prefer of them is more productive than chasing them away; unless of course they are simply impossible as individuals, in which case I terminate the relationship. I say this because I am interested in what drives your personal approach, and not because I condone his behaviour.

@homie12 I would like to point out that my thread on little green aliens was opened in speculations by myself, it was not moved there!

Again, anyone is free to check out my profile and access the information I have made available. I don't list my age, but I got a PhD after serving a hitch in the navy and then did a postdoc, and have been at my current job since before I discovered that SFN existed, so you can easily put a lower bound on it.

-------------

edit

------------

edit#2

This is completely unnecessary and superfluous. You can't "act" like you know science. Sooner or later, you'll say something stupid or you won't be able to address the issue with the math.

I can tell Swansont is a physicist because he *talks* like a physicist. I can tell John Cuthber is a chemist because he *talks* like a chemist. I can tell you're an architect (not architect, specifically, but someone not in a field of the natural sciences) because your speculation and opposition to certain subjects has a very "layman's" tone to it. I do not mean to be degrading or insulting; I'm only saying this to reinforce my original idea. You could not pretend to be a physicist. It would be very easy to see through.

An avenue already exists for people to discuss their qualifications. Let's leave it at that instead of some wild mandate about posting personal information.

This is completely unnecessary and superfluous. You can't "act" like you know science. Sooner or later, you'll say something stupid or you won't be able to address the issue with the math.

I can tell Swansont is a physicist because he *talks* like a physicist. I can tell John Cuthber is a chemist because he *talks* like a chemist. I can tell you're an architect (not architect, specifically, but someone not in a field of the natural sciences) because your speculation and opposition to certain subjects has a very "layman's" tone to it. I do not mean to be degrading or insulting; I'm only saying this to reinforce my original idea. You could not pretend to be a physicist. It would be very easy to see through.

An avenue already exists for people to discuss their qualifications. Let's leave it at that instead of some wild mandate about posting personal information.

and who are you to regard michel as a layman? what is your field of expertise?

I wasnt asking you. I already know what to expect from you.

It doesn't freakin' matter. Good grief. Arguments rest on their own merit, not on the qualifications of the person who makes them.

Nobody here is allowed to appeal to authority when making a point. You could be a triple PhD postdoc who's worked in a given field for 5 decades, or you could be an 8 year old with no formal training and just an awesome curiosity. It doesn't matter what someone's expertise is, nor how old they are. What matters is the quality of their argument, and the merit of their position.