Time Travel: Can history be changed?

noz92

I think the title of my thread explains what I'm going to say.

If someone were to build a time machine and go back in time, and ettempted to change history by, say, telling Abraham Lincoln not to go to Ford's Theater, for he'll be shot by John Wilkes Booth. Would this change Lincolns mind about going, and thus avoid the whole thing, or would that be the cause of Lincolns going in the first place (temptation)?

If the former is true, I wonder if the original timeline would have ever existed at all, and what would happen to intellegent beings of that timeline, would they all just die, or would they stay but not really exist?

actually, past, future, and present are relative. time dilation is exaggerated ofer lond distances. say you run ten miles an hour. while running, your present contains the present of a region of the universe 150 years future. cool, huh? well, too bad you wouldn't know what would happen at that time, for that region of space is 10 billion light years away and it would take ten billion years for you to know what happened. similarly, if you ran in the opposite direction, your present would contain the present of 150 ago of the same region.

as for the lincoln thing, he WAS told not to go.

I really REALLY dont think that if you were to find some incredible way to go back in time (Im not ruling it out, but it is rather improbable) Then, in my opinion, you could not change the present in our dimension. If you refer to one of my first posts, I follow the pathways theory in which each alteration the path splits (not phisically- as Yourdadonapogos said, they're all relative)

So you may in theory be able to change the future of another pathway, but ours will always stat the same. (Unless when you disappear, you create a vacuum and destroy the univer- but that's a little farfetched :) )

Everything happened in the past,many years ago and yesterday.It is nice to think that what if !!but unfortunately thats our lott.Just like the grandfather paradox, its silly to contemplate ever travelling back in time.You were not there then so you will never be there.The only logical scenario would be if ever there was such a thing as time travel,one could only travel back to the time when the first TT machine was made.And then the same rules apply,you could at best only go back as an observer.

Well, when you said we were never there, so we never will be,: Remember, matter can be niether created nor destroyed. So technically we were there.

And the first time machine part, wouldn't that be at the exact time of the big bang. At that time, it would be posible for an Einstein-Rosen brige to have formed, thus being the first time machine type thingy.

In my opinion, I think that logiaclly we can never be there in the past, & if ever someone had a time machine he could only be there watching the events & no more, we can't change the past, it's been best formed to produce our present right now, so the past somehow was formed to give us our present life, so when we deal with our everyday life & interact with it, we'r dealing & interacting wiht a part of the past....

But somehow we'r involved to form the past of the incoming generations,, we'r forming the events will be told to the incoming people,, we'r involved in forming a whole culture of a whole incoming world...so relatively WE R IN THE PAST NOW :rolleyes: ....

Just a thought on time in general....

If there is no way of going into the past, then isnt it true that there is no way to change the future? If we do no know our future then we have no choice but be a slave to it. Though everything may be random, as long as the past remains the past, the future will happen one way and one way only simply because of the fact that we only have one chance to do everything.

What i am trying to say is everything is going to happen a certin way, though that way is most likely random. If i cant tell my past self to change the future, it will remain the same. The future, then, is just as set in stone as the past. The only way to change the future is to change the past, and vice a versa.

Everything happened in the past,many years ago and yesterday.It is nice to think that what if !!but unfortunately thats our lott.Just like the grandfather paradox, its silly to contemplate ever travelling back in time.You were not there then so you will never be there.The only logical scenario would be if ever there was such a thing as time travel,one could only travel back to the time when the first TT machine was made.And then the same rules apply,you could at best only go back as an observer.

you are forgetting that both space and time are maleable.

If there is no way of going into the past, then isnt it true that there is no way to change the future? If we do no know our future then we have no choice but be a slave to it. Though everything may be random, as long as the past remains the past, the future will happen one way and one way only simply because of the fact that we only have one chance to do everything

I don't think we r slaves to wot should happen in future, that's when we choose to do something we choose freely, we always have the choice between good & bad, sweet & sour, right & wrong..so we rn't obliged to do anything,, we can form the future the way we choose it to be.. & as an evidence for my words, we always here our parents when urging us to study well saying: put ur all to get the best marks...so that indicates that when we want to do something we can do it, but not without an effort for achieving it...

yeah, but if we cant change the past or see the future then no matter which road we choose, good or bad, we will choose the path that we will choose Even though we choose our path, the future is just as set in stone as the past becasue we only get one chance to make each descisino, which means the chain of events can only happen once. It doesnt matter what desicion we could have chosen, as that will not effect the future, only the path we do choose matters becasue that desicion effects our next descion and so on. In theory, our desicions could be predeterminded, though we still come to the them on our own. Just because i choose to answer no doesnt mean i couldnt answer yes, it just means i didnt.

i dont mean to talk in circles but my point is hard to make.

i have the power to decide, but i will always decide the descion i am supposed to make, as long as i cant see the future or the past.

after i make a decision i understand why, even if i dont agree with it. the only difference between the past an dthe future is that i understand the past, while the future is still a mystery. That does not mean i get to change the future any more than i can change the past, it will happen in a certin way that i will contribute to.

yes your getting it,your playing roulette and have 50 dollars to place...your going to choose red....yes red it feels right but at the last minute no more bets pleese you place your chips on black......red 24...shite you knew you should have placed red but you didnt..its gone in the past now ,despite you believing you had a choice,free will !!you picked black when your instincts, deja vou whatever told you to pick red.You didnt though you had no real free will to choose you picked black because thats what you were meant to pick.Thats when you have a lucky streak you get the feeling your invinsible,you just know in advance your in tune, you pick a horse,dog,football team and you just know your going to win.somehow you are tapped into the pre-determined future in advance of it happening....so bet big my friend..bet big

Time commes at us from the future and becommes the past in an instant. We can not move in it, we never will be able to. Time is relative to us only becouse we have a limited amount of it. We look out into the universe and see what has all ready become history. Some of it millions of years ago. We can not change what has happened. Nor could we expect to change what has not happened yet. There never will be a method of time travel. Its either all ready happened or it hasent happened yet. It really is that simple.

We may however be able to make an impression on the universe. The third planet in this solar system may oneday simply disapear in an instant as some scientist explodes us into an anti mater experoment. :mad:

Unless somehow we can travel faster than the speed of light, then can we go back in time through space-time continuum. The light cone is 45 degrees everywhere, and you need to travel faster than the speed of light, i.e move at even greater angles more than 45 degrees before you can move to a point in space time that is history. But, as you know from special relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, or else its mass will be infinite. So I believe we cannot go back in time.

Another strong reason stated by Stephen Hawking that time travel is not quite possible. If it is possible, then we would have experienced future people to have travel back to the present, but this does not happen. Again, if this is true, we would have experienced Grandfather Paradox, and history will be changed. Through the intimate relationship of causality, it is deemed impossible to time-travel.