Atmospheric footprint of volcanic explosion

pink_trike

Hello,

I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me out with re: a volcanic explosion that took place in Death Valley approx. 800 years ago, carving a half mile wide crater. This explosion has been described as:

"would have created an atom-bomb-like mushroom cloud that collapsed on itself in a donut shape, then rushed outward along the ground at some 200 miles an hour, while rocks hailed down. Any creature within two miles or more would be fatally thrown, suffocated, burned and bombarded"

My question is:

Taking into account west to east wind patterns, what would be an estimate for how far east the cloud of ash and gases might have traveled before dissipating?

Thanks,

Jeff

I'm no expert on this, nor do I have access to references... Perhaps another member can give a more precise answer to your question, but I strongly suspect that the ash cloud would spread all the way across the globe. It may be very thin and heavily dissipated, but it would likely be carried across the entire planet in some form or fashion. Again, though... Be sure to check with an expert before accepting what I've said as true. Cheers.

I'm no expert on this, nor do I have access to references... Perhaps another member can give a more precise answer to your question, but I strongly suspect that the ash cloud would spread all the way across the globe. It may be very thin and heavily dissipated, but it would likely be carried across the entire planet in some form or fashion. Again, though... Be sure to check with an expert before accepting what I've said as true. Cheers.

Thanks, iNow. Do you think it would be safe to assume that at 500 miles due east the clouds of gas and ash would still have been pretty thick?

It's really hard to say. I haven't studied it, but it would depend on the the intensity of the eruption, the density of the gas and ash ejected, the atmospheric conditions, wind speed, etc. It also depends a bit on what you mean by "pretty thick."

It's certainly very possible, though. Did you see the Iceland volcano eruption in April 2010?

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/icelands_disruptive_volcano.html

Or the volcano in Chile from June of 2011?

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/06/volcano_erupts_in_chile.html