Need some good chemistry and physics learning sources!

Exothermic

Hi and thanks for reading my thread. I'm a 14 year old student in Wales, UK. I am currently doing my GCSEs and am interested in maths, chemistry and physics. I'm really looking to expand my knowledge on the subjects as I find school pretty easy and boring. I was really hoping someone would have some good sources they could suggest to me. Thanks alot!

Righteo- Despite having a bunch of relatives in england I still have no grasp on how exactly the GCSE works- but I'm led to believe it's somewhat similar to the school certificate in aust. *Just saying that because I managed to confuse myself yet again*.. haha

Anyway- so what I used to do was spend my free time surfing wikipedia (and I know it's not a creditable reference- but I find it's great for just overveiwing general trends, concepts and satisfying curiosity) until I found things that interested me, and then I'ld go back and click on the interesting links and eventually I learned what I wanted to learn more about (for me it was organic chem). Then once I did that I used text books, google and whatever other resouces I had available to me to learn more.

The only downside is that it makes school even easier! Haha, I used to make my friend draw crazy organic molecules so I could work out the systematic name to pass the time.

Khan academy is always a good place to start. MIT also has a nice series of free lectures, though this may be more advanced than you're looking for.

Thanks a lot. I have viewed a Khan Academy video on viruses (a subject I'm already familiar on) and it basically packed all that I know from hours of reading into 20~ minutes! Very good source! I will be sure to check out more of their videos. I haven't watched a MIT lecture yet but I will try one and see how advanced it is later on.

Righteo- Despite having a bunch of relatives in england I still have no grasp on how exactly the GCSE works- but I'm led to believe it's somewhat similar to the school certificate in aust. *Just saying that because I managed to confuse myself yet again*.. haha

Anyway- so what I used to do was spend my free time surfing wikipedia (and I know it's not a creditable reference- but I find it's great for just overveiwing general trends, concepts and satisfying curiosity) until I found things that interested me, and then I'ld go back and click on the interesting links and eventually I learned what I wanted to learn more about (for me it was organic chem). Then once I did that I used text books, google and whatever other resouces I had available to me to learn more.

The only downside is that it makes school even easier! Haha, I used to make my friend draw crazy organic molecules so I could work out the systematic name to pass the time.

That's what I've been doing up to this point - just reading wikipedia and once I find something I like I will research it a bit more.. Up to this point it has worked great, but I was just really looking for some more sources to maybe make things a bit easier. Thanks a lot for your suggestion none-the-less.

Hi and thanks for reading my thread. I'm a 14 year old student in Wales, UK. I am currently doing my GCSEs and am interested in maths, chemistry and physics. I'm really looking to expand my knowledge on the subjects as I find school pretty easy and boring. I was really hoping someone would have some good sources they could suggest to me. Thanks alot!

Books are your best source. Books by people who have demonstrated an ability in the subject are usually a good bet.

Physics: The Feynman Lectures on Physics by Feynman, Leighton and Sands

Chemistry: General Chemistry by Linus Pauling

I am newbie in this field and i want to say. Google is your friend go to Google and ask it, it gives you the best solution.

There is some good information on the internet. There is also a lot of utter nonsense.

Unless you have enough knowledge of the field of interest to be able to tell the difference you would be better off sticking to information from known sources.

Hi and thanks for reading my thread. I'm a 14 year old student in Wales, UK.

Where in Wales are you?

If you are near Cardiff or Swansea both Universities have good libraries that you could get access to.

There is the School of Chemistry at Bangor University, so I think their library may be of some help to you. Most of the books will be too advanced for you, but some will be more suitable. I am sure some of the 1st year books will be okay for a bright student at the AS level.

Good luck.

I totally agree with hypervalent_iodine that the Khan Academy is excellent. It's good for almost all ages and levels. I think that 8-year-olds will be able to learn something from it, as well as 80-year-olds. They have maths, physics and chemistry (and possibly more).

It has helped me to refresh some topics that I should have learned at university but that I never use and mostly forgot.

They have 10-20 minute lectures in the format of a Youtube movie. Somehow, watching a movie is so much more relaxing than reading a book. You actually absorb the same amount of information, but with less effort. Totally worth anyone's time.

There is the School of Chemistry at Bangor University, so I think their library may be of some help to you. Most of the books will be too advanced for you, but some will be more suitable. I am sure some of the 1st year books will be okay for a bright student at the AS level.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot. I will try checking that out.

I am a 14 year old student Kerala. I am intrested in chemistry. I like maths and physics. But these subjects are difficult to me. One of you please help me. I am a Malayalam meduim student. So please decrease the difficulty lf your English

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, I will recommend you that you start learning books of advanced grades. For example, if you are in 9th grade you should finish the syllabus and start learning 10th and 11th grade syllabus. This would really help you in advancing your knowledge.

You can refer to some online learning sources and also a nearby library for some good books. If you really want to get some advanced material from MIT's OCW(open course ware).

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

I am listing some websites here-

For Physics problem practice and learning you may visit- http://www.physicsclassroom.com (also read this book "fundamentals of physics by Halliday, Resnick and Walker)

For Chemistry- Well, you may try this I found this on net while surfing-http://www.chem1.com/chem1

For Mathematics- You should try this out-http://mathworld.wolfram.com (this one is very advanced for me, can't tell about you)

Edited by Sarthak Sahu