Which Processor is Best

Rizz84

Hello Friends,

I wana ask that if two processors Processor01 and Processor02 have same number of components but Processor01 had 16 registers on the other hand Processor02 has 64 registers. Which processor is best in terms of its speed, size and cost?

Take Care :rolleyes:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have posted this query on another forum here but I think it is more suitable so if mods like to delete unsuitable thread of mine then they can do but please inform me.

I'm less informed in the IT area of things, but from an electronics perspective- if both chips have the same number of components (assuming transistors here) then the one with the higher number of registers may have a greater allocation of components for it. If so, what areas of the chip have sacrificed numbers of components in order to provide the extra registers?

Also from my electronics background I can attempt to sus out the question a bit- then you can research what I've come up with and see if it is helpful. I've just done this off the top of my head from working with PICs and such- so there may be inaccuracies- but it should give you a starting point with which to research and work out the answer.

Ok, so for a PIC or similar type processor:

Register- the register will provide an amount of on-board memory for storing instructions and data values. The bigger the register the larger amount of data you can store or the bigger the program you can write without having to buy extra components (say (e)eprom chips) to store this data. Usually register size effects the price and size of a chip.

Speed- Speed depends on clock speed. Off the top of my head all but the high-end chips take 2 clocks per instruction- which means that the maximum clock limit should decide processing speed. Usually as the chips get more capable, the clock increases from 4 or 8MHz to 16 or 20MHz- so perhaps this could be what the question is after? The other possibility is the amount of time it takes to retrieve information from such sized registers? But this would most likely depend on the data aquistion circuits of the manufacturer of the chips in question.

Try looking along those lines and see if you can answer the question- if not Im out of ideas.