REAL intelligence tests...

TokenMonkey

I've been thinking about supposed IQ tests that are used to test "intelligence". What do they really test?

My point is this: intelligence, as I see it, is the ability to solve a problem in an unknown situation using the tools and knowledge one has.

IQ tests have all these questions which, to a large extent, are composed of maths (or math for the Americans) and language questions. But these things are a matter of education. One can be taught to do well in an IQ test.

But what if someone off the street, who has had no education, takes an IQ test, and can't answer 2+2, merely because he or she has never been taught maths. That person's results would be awful, and they would be seen as having a low IQ.

However, that doesn't mean that that person is incapable of solving a problem with the tools that they have. It's just that they don't have the means of solving those particular problems.

What do you guys think about this? Is there any way to really test someone's intelligence?

here is a thread about the reliability of IQ tests:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3800

(note there is a 2nd page)

we (this forum) came to a general conclusion that they are useless and do not truely represent someone's intelligence.

I am new here and have an average iq and I think that the environment you grow up in and what u are lucky enough to be taught and what foods u eat. The main producer of raw smarts is brain chemistry, how your head works ? all these things boil down to luck even the idea's that people have are random and unpredictable making me dumb today and smart tomorow, or a bad reader but a mathematician.

I partially agree. If you are lucky enough to get intelligent parents, in a good environment, with good schools, then you have an excellent chance of having a nice looking IQ. But will, determination, and pure work is a major factor. You can spend 5 days a week debating, but speed drills will make you the best there is. you can spend all day in school, but if you dont apply your knowledge outside, and exorcise and hone those abilities, they will not grow. You will simply be a student, not a learner- or a student, and not a microbiologist :)

I spend a lot of time doing rapid eye movement exorcises, and reading a lot of books. (I also eat a lot of crappy food) and my IQ is 189. Someone with the same classes, and even a higher GPA (something like 5.0), could have an IQ of 120.

As was discussed earlier, IQ doesnt determine intelligence, it determines how fast you can solve a problem in your head- mental reaction.

But, as useless as it is, Im quite content with mine :)

I partially agree. If you are lucky enough to get intelligent parents' date=' in a good environment, with good schools, then you have an excellent chance of having a nice looking IQ. But will, determination, and pure work is a major factor. You can spend 5 days a week debating, but speed drills will make you the best there is. you can spend all day in school, but if you dont apply your knowledge outside, and exorcise and hone those abilities, they will not grow. You will simply be a student, not a learner- or a student, and not a microbiologist :)

I spend a lot of time doing rapid eye movement exorcises, and reading a lot of books. (I also eat a lot of crappy food) and my IQ is 189. Someone with the same classes, and even a higher GPA (something like 5.0), could have an IQ of 120.

As was discussed earlier, IQ doesnt determine intelligence, it determines how fast you can solve a problem in your head- mental reaction.

But, as useless as it is, Im quite content with mine :)[/quote']

Myself I never made it past the first 2 weeks of grade 7 but I own my own contacting buisness and made 100 000$ when I was 22 I know alot of my friends who have done 4 yrs in chemical engineering and electrical and math courses of wich 2 make almost what I do.I am tryin to say I agree with your quote from life experience I learned drive and ambition was realy the only reason I dont work at mcdonalds and the past 150 years the stronger man was geneticly superior way back to our first upright steps, the brain controls all of these funtions. I would like to find out my iq but it realy would mean nothing no matter what I get cause i know I am good a building a roof but crappy at understanding why people are religious lol.

Myself I never made it past the first 2 weeks of grade 7 but I own my own contacting buisness and made 100 000$ when I was 22 I know alot of my friends who have done 4 yrs in chemical engineering and electrical and math courses of wich 2 make almost what I do.I am tryin to say I agree with your quote from life experience I learned drive and ambition was realy the only reason I dont work at mcdonalds and the past 150 years the stronger man was geneticly superior way back to our first upright steps, the brain controls all of these funtions. I would like to find out my iq but it realy would mean nothing no matter what I get cause i know I am good a building a roof but crappy at understanding why people are religious lol.

Good job!

I dropped out of school myself when I was about 15, got my GED and went to work (I was on my own and had to support myself). I did Landscaping for awhile, then got into marketing and sales with an entry level firm. I have always wanted to go back to school and get a degree to follow my dreams of becoming a physicist/engineer and work with space technologies. The opportunity finally arose and I started school this year so hopefully in 4 or 5 years i will be able to get a good job doing what I have always wanted to do.

I really enjoyed Landscaping though. It was hard work, but it was good honest work and it paid the bills.

I had to leave school to work and I always resented the incompetence of my bosses lol (most of them), if u want something done do it yourself was always my motto.I now regret not getting a regular education but I at least learned to read and write which allowed me to learn on my own and what I choose to learn which has done me well but I still want to be on the same level of people I greatly respect like Burt Rutan, Tesla, Hawkings. I work now to save enough capital to open a comany one day and do what dream of doing small scale orbital launch vehicles and get into the space race even if I am making space toilets it would still be a contribution and I could even get one named after me lol :)

Guest xinyangxu

IQ test is just a joke for these really smart ones!

they laugh at the questione-maker: how do they know there is ONLY one solution?

his math system is too small! that's the reason!

it's ridiculous.

What is landscaping?

Well, i use to think that IQ really determines your intelligence and thought that many people have the same perception too. Glad to know that cause my IQ is kinda of low.

I agree with MolecularMan, it all boils down to hard work. All the way man. and some luck, i guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...