The mind's eye

charles brough

We all know we day dream ourselves to sleep at night visualizing scenes. For example, if you drive all day, at night, you will still see road ahead.

I find the same thing happens with cards. In my case, if I play ten games of Freecell in the afternoon, it will take seven hours before I can go to bed that night, close my eyes, and not see the game in front of me;

I can even play the game---somewhat. It is not vivid enough to be sure of any single card and when I am looking for the best place to put it, it is apt to change so that when I put it down, it no longer goes there! Rather than fight that, I stop playing Freecell seven hours before bedtime.

Anyone else have "mind's eye" experiences?

• 1 month later...

We all know we day dream ourselves to sleep at night visualizing scenes. For example, if you drive all day, at night, you will still see road ahead.

I find the same thing happens with cards. In my case, if I play ten games of Freecell in the afternoon, it will take seven hours before I can go to bed that night, close my eyes, and not see the game in front of me;

I can even play the game---somewhat. It is not vivid enough to be sure of any single card and when I am looking for the best place to put it, it is apt to change so that when I put it down, it no longer goes there! Rather than fight that, I stop playing Freecell seven hours before bedtime.

I suppose you concentrate a lot when you do things? Like if you are in the middle of something and someone calls you, you would jump? I think that's when things stick to your mind.

Sometimes when people tell me about some stories or situation, I would visualize the scene and almost see it. Is that what you're talking about?

Edited by LXH

It's as if your mind when quiet refers to something of interest and pass time, unfortunately it won't rest until you have made a guess, also will last until you are either sure and give up or just give up. Testing the limits of the layout itself, to find how much of a high or low there is and your approximate where-abouts within the limits, what you settle for. It's a positive symptom of a curios mind ! or it's detached from you and is charting space, although I think it's best to stick with the first diagnosis. Have you tried anything similar ?

"free your mind neo", or just work with it ;-p

Edited by caffeine

• 2 months later...

My pre-sleep visions are never in relation to anything, always being colours shifting into shape as I 'travel' along it all. I can guide myself and create and construct it all, allowing myself to fly, turn, fall, etc..

By contrast, my dreams are vivid and realistic (regardless of how mundane or bizarre), and usually memorable after waking.

It sounds like you're engaged in whatever you do (Freecell or whatever, as per LXH) however I am slightly dissociative, remaining somewhat detached from anything I'm involved in including games or puzzles. Not sure if this is really a viable consideration, or just a non sequitur.

If your experiences bother you you could try what I do. I have a radio which can be timed to switch off after a set period. I set it to give me half an hour of a mainly music program. I start to listen and think about the music, but find I usually drop off quite happily before the half hour is out.

• 3 weeks later...

Blind people see shapes too. Coming off some meds does that to you. I would think it causes stronger activity in the occupital lobe.

Same thing happens to me with Tetris. If I play it for too long, I start seeing falling blocks and can semi-play the game in my head.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...