DDT and malaria control in Africa

Greg Boyles

Three points:

1. Africa is arguably the least overpopulated of the continents.

If africa is not over populated then why does the continent suffer from perpetual famines, war, genocide and political instability etc?

2. Your statement is implicitly racist, suggesting that continued malarial deaths would be useful in reducing the alleged overpopulation of the continent.

Racist slurs are not a substitute for reasoned arguments.

And you are wrong anyway.

To coin a phrase my brother once jokingly used "I am not racist, I just hate everyone"

If westerners were advocating the use of DDT in the west to control malaria and prevent deaths I would be saying EXACTLY the same thing.......that their interests in not dieing from malaria do not trump the interests of future generations in not having their environment and bodies tainted with a toxin.

3. What evidence do you have that limited and controlled application of DDT in Africa would have a longterm global impact?

I don't need to provide evidence as it has already been done. DDT is found in the blood of nearly everyone on earth and in wildlife in the artic and antarctic. And there are strong links between DDT and diabetes and other human diseases.

OK. I think I see your thesis. You are opposed to altruism and have many selfish genes.

If WHO got their way and started wide scale spraying of DDT on houses across africa tomorrow then, at 45 yo, I would be unlikely to be signficantly effected by it.

So my concern is primarily with the environment and future generations of both westerners and africans who will have to live in it.

Who is to say that you and members of WHO are not being incredibly short sighted and reprehensibly selfish yourselves???

What are they going to do when mosquito resistance to DDT emerges due to its wide scale use? Are they going to try even more noxious chemicals and will you sit here and continue advocating their foolish behaviour.

The west really needs to get over this all consuming culture of the individual.

And how is saving african lives now only to have them die of starvation later being altruistic.

If aid organisations arose that respected ecological balance as it applies to humans and made substantial rather than token efforts to reduce fertility in compensation for decreasing the death rate then I would be all for them and donate willingly.

Until such time I remain a consciencious objector.

Edited by Greg Boyles