Chirac KO's Bush offer

Douglas

Well, I watched and listened to everything Bush said, I do not remember him saying I will use new muscle to defeat terrorism. I might have missed it, but I know for a fact it was not in the same sentance as what is quoted: "I earned political capital in the election and I intend to spend it."

Mr Bush also said he will use his new muscle to defeat terrorism. He said: “I earned political capital in the election and I intend to spend it.”

Two very different things mixed together to sound the way the author wants them to sound to the reader = 0 credibility

The Sun is not exactly the most reputable commentator on diplomatic matters.

And it sounds more like petulant sour grapes from Chirac than the turning of any 'knife'.

I see it as turning the knife.

As for the Sun, I was listening to a Brit on Talk radio, he said that all U.K. newspapers are from a little left of center to far left......No?

I'm wondering how Blair will fare in the next election. If Blair loses, does England scrap (move further from the U.S.) it's ties to the U.S. and move closer to the E.U. with Chirac in control?....Or do I have it all wrong?

I see it as turning the knife.

As for the Sun' date=' I was listening to a Brit on Talk radio, he said that all U.K. newspapers are from a little left of center to far left......No?

I'm wondering how Blair will fare in the next election. If Blair loses, does England scrap (move further from the U.S.) it's ties to the U.S. and move closer to the E.U. with Chirac in control?....Or do I have it all wrong?[/quote']

Britsh newspapers span from right of centre to the left.

The Daily Telegraph is right wing, pro Bush, pro war. The Guardian is left wing, anti Bush, anti war.

If Blair loses the election it will probably be to the Conservatives. In this case Britain will move politically closer to the USA and further from Europe.

Where do you get most of your info about British politics? I hear that the US media tends to be quite insular.

Britsh newspapers span from right of centre to the left.

The Daily Telegraph is right wing' date=' pro Bush, pro war. The Guardian is left wing, anti Bush, anti war.

If Blair loses the election it will probably be to the Conservatives. In this case Britain will move politically closer to the USA and further from Europe.

Where do you get most of your info about British politics? I hear that the US media tends to be quite insular.[/quote']

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the daily telegraph. Most U.K. and perhaps the Aussie folks on this forum seem to be anti Bush.

I figured if Blair loses, the reins would fall into the hands of the most liberal party.

The U.S. media is fairly insular, but, the daily mirror hit the news today, and I found the Sun on the Drudge report......I think we know what's going on.

Please don't judge Britain by the Sun or the Mirror. They are our gutter press tabloids.

There is a fair bit of anti Bush sentiment in the UK, i'm afraid some of it seems to come from prejudice as much as genuine political disagreement. But don't think everyone holds those opinions.

Please don't judge Britain by the Sun or the Mirror. They are our gutter press tabloids
I'd be more concerned if people started judging us by the content of the Daily Mail.

For the non-Brits here, it's probably the most right-wing conservative rag in the country. They are of course quite positive about another 4 years of Bush: -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/uselections.html?in_article_id=324716&in_page_id=1832&in_a_source=&ct=5