Sudden appearance of small blue dots in my vision

I have had the blue dots appear, looking just like the little blue led on my phone that tells me I have a message, and they remain for about a second, and blink out.  They occur with eyes open or closed and sometimes seem to follow thoughts about spiritual matters, so that's what I think they are related to, a metaphysical phenomenon of some sort.  I asked my opthalmologist about them, and he said he saw nothing in my exam to explain something like that.  I've had them for several years now, usually at least once  daily.  If you have ever had visual field testing where blue dots are used that blink on and off, it's a lot like those look.

Edited by janetjanetbobanet

• 4 weeks later...

Over the last few days I have seen a tiny blue dot when my eyes are open, that quickly vanishes. Sounds just like Janet's (above).  

I also see the tiny twirling white dots, millions of them. They're most easily seen when looking at a clear blue sky away from the sun, but can be seen indoors too. I think anyone can see them if they try. You have to focus on open space. I thought they were energy particles unknown to science, but recently I read that they are just your own white blood cells in the blood vessels of the eyes.

I prefer to believe they are mysterious energy.   

• 3 weeks later...

I have been experiencing the same symptoms as Lara and a few others have described in this forum for a while now..

I was wondering if it could be related to strong bright levels of light in my vision

Some examples are....staring at my for iPhone screen long periods of time, and having bright, LED lighting at home, ect...

Im assuming and stating the obvious that, us as humans are not designed to stare at bright phone screens, and have strong light levels in our vision.

Is that something that could cause the blue dots and more recently plus rarely ( for me ) cause the white dots to appear????

Edited by wazjames

1 hour ago, wazjames said:

I have been experiencing the same symptoms as Lara and a few others have described in this forum for a while now..

I was wondering if it could be related to strong bright levels of light in my vision

Some examples are....staring at my for iPhone screen long periods of time, and having bright, LED lighting at home, ect...

Im assuming and stating the obvious that, us as humans are not designed to stare at bright phone screens, and have strong light levels in our vision.

Is that something that could cause the blue dots and more recently plus rarely ( for me ) cause the white dots to appear????

I think this is the phenomenon. There's a simulation on the page - Click link under quote:

Blue field entoptic phenomenon

The blue field entoptic phenomenon or Scheerer's phenomenon (after the German ophthalmologist Richard Scheerer, who first drew clinical attention to it in 1924[1]) is the appearance of tiny bright dots (nicknamed blue-sky sprites) moving quickly along squiggly lines in the visual field, especially when looking into bright blue light such as the sky.[2] The dots are short-lived, visible for a second or less, and traveling short distances along seemingly random, curvy paths. Some of them follow the same path as predecessors. The dots may be elongated along the path like tiny worms. The speed of the dots varies in sync with the pulse; they briefly accelerate at each heart beat.[3] The dots appear in the central field of view, within 15 degrees from the fixation point.[4] The left and right eye see different dots; someone looking with both eyes sees a mixture.

Most people are able to see this phenomenon in the sky, although it is rather weak, and many people do not notice it until asked to pay attention. The dots are highly conspicuous against a monochromatic blue background (~430 nm) instead of the sky.

Explanation

The dots are white blood cells moving in the capillaries in front of the retina of the eye.[5] Blue light (optimal wavelength: 430 nm) is absorbed by the red blood cells that fill the capillaries. The eye and brain "edit out" the shadow lines of the capillaries, partially by dark adaptation of the photoreceptors lying beneath the capillaries. The white blood cells, which are much rarer than the red ones and do not absorb blue light, create gaps in the blood column, and these gaps appear as bright dots. The gaps are elongated because a spherical white blood cell is too wide for the capillary. Red blood cells pile up behind the white blood cell, showing up like a dark tail.[6] This behavior of the blood cells in the capillaries of the retina has been directly observed in human subjects by adaptive optics scanning laser ophthalmoscopy, a real time imaging technique for examining retinal blood flow.[7] The dots will not appear at the very center of the visual field, because there are no blood vessels in the foveal avascular zone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_field_entoptic_phenomenon

• 1 month later...

I've seen the bright blue dot many times since I was a child. There was an article about it in a science magazine once explaining it. It's completely harmless and totally normal phenomenon. I don't remember the exact explanation anymore, but it had something to do with how the light-sensing cells of retina and optic nerve work. Something caused retina cells in a certain spot to work differently for a moment - hence the spot remains in the same location in your vision.

• 3 months later...
On 1/2/2012 at 11:48 PM, Lara said:

Since about 8 years ago I have been occasionally experiencing the sudden appearance of a bright blue dot in my vision. The frequency with wich it occurs also varies: sometimes I see them a few times a day, sometimes not for weeks. It is not longer present than 2 seconds and is not moving, even if my visionfield changes (= even if I look at something else). Also, they appear in different surroundings: regardless of lightintensity and coloursetting. They can appear with a background of a white wall in daylight, as well as in dark with different coloured background. I've never experienced a pressure on my eyes or head when it happens. In other words, I haven't discovered a common denominator when a blue dot appears.

Is there anyone with similar experiences or with a logical explanation for this phenomenon?

Same thing is happening to me exactly? Please tell me more

On 7/8/2018 at 12:56 PM, DeanM said:

I also often see a small blue dot the size of a sesame seed.  I saw it for the first time in the summer of 1967 when I was 12 years old.  At the time, I didn't know what it was.  After that, I don't remember seeing it again until I became an adult.  After I met Swami Muktananda in 1979, I started seeing the blue dot more often.  As described in the Hindu scriptures, the blue dot is the form of the individual soul.  It is a very rare and auspicious vision to see the blue dot, which is called Neela Bindu.  Sometimes, yogis are able to see the blue dot in meditation.  This blue dot contains the human soul--the essence of a human being.  Swami Muktananda spread the teachings of Siddha Yoga throughout the world.  He took samadhi in 1982, and his successor is Swami Chidvilasananda, known affectionately as Gurumayi.  Gurumayi created several new courses in Siddha Yoga.  Among these is "The Blue Pearl Course" and "The Blue Pearl Retreat".  I have taken both of these powerful courses.  In these courses, a seeker is able to personally experience the Blue Pearl, which is probably what you call the "blue dot".  Gurumayi says that seekers should meditate on the Blue Pearl.  She says that if a seeker meditates on the Blue Pearl with persistent effort, eventually it will stabilize, so that you are able to see it for longer periods of time.  If you then continue to meditate on the Blue Pearl, she says it will eventually explode, and then you will experience the world as a form of your own Self.  You will see yourself in everyone and everything in the world.  That is the highest reality.

Strangely enough, I sometimes see the Blue Pearl when I'm taking a shower.  Generally, I see the Blue Pearl with my eyes closed, but I have sometimes seen it with eyes wide open.  I can't control when I see the Blue Pearl.  The Blue Pearl is free.  It appears according to its own volition.  If you continue to meditate on the Blue Pearl, you may observe that it isn't a dot, but rather is a sphere.  It radiates cooling blue rays, like ethereal rays of moonlight.  These cooling rays bring peace and stillness of the mind.  If you are able to meditate on the Blue Pearl, your mind will become enchanted with its beauty and divine radiance.  Swami Muktananda said that it is this Blue Pearl which makes a human being radiant and beautiful.  When the Blue Pearl leaves the body at the time of a person's death, that body becomes nothing but a corpse.  Sometimes the Blue Pearl may appear to be red or black to a seeker at certain times.  Swami Muktananda said the Blue Pearl may appear to be red or black because of impurities in the seeker's system, but these impurities are eventually cleaned out by Kundalini Shakti.

I see the same thing this is exactly word for word what I’m experiencing please tell me more? If there is more to tell thankyou

I want to know as much as possible about this blue dot cause when it appears it’s presence is powerful, can people who know more please give as much knowledge on this as possible thankyou. 

Edited by Brendan123

• 5 months later...

I am also very happy to see other people experiencing this phenomenon. I think it's very helpful if we all explain our situation details to see if we're experiencing the same issue!

I have been seeing my tiny blue dot for about 5 years, I'm 29 years old. It is always in the upper left quadrant of my visual field (it never changes position, like others have said). It looks exactly like a tiny round LED dot like a light on some electronics. Bright, vibrant, royal blue. It comes randomly only for a second or less (I wouldn't even say 2 seconds), and doesn't seem to have a trigger. Like others have said, it can be many times throughout one day, or I might not see it for days or even a week or two. But, it always comes back sometime. When I am extremely over-tired and possibly stressed I think I do tend to see it slightly more often, but even when I am well rested and happy, it shows up randomly.

I have a history of migraines since I was about 14, and besides the headache part, my migraine symptoms often include numbing of my hands, unusual speech (words coming out that I wasn't thinking of), visual symptoms like a big grey hole in my vision, and one time I saw those wavy lines all across my vision. I have always attributed this blue dot (and some doctors think this too) to my migraine tendencies, and whatever is going on up there neurologically. 

I saw an 'eye doctor' a couple of years ago, and he checked my eyes thoroughly including as far as he could see down my optic nerve. He told me everything looks great and he cannot see any way this would come from a visual problem, so this makes me think that whatever is causing this, is starting in the brain.

This past year it seems that the blue dot has gotten a tiny bit bigger, it used to be just a teeny tiny pinprick of a thing, but now I would say its getting closer to a pinhead. Still tiny, but, still, I am pretty sure it's increase in size a bit. This is making me want to revisit a doctor.

Have any of you been to doctors for this, or has your blue dot progressed into anything else?

One or all of us should get some kind of brain imaging done!

It's so comforting to see other people alive and well with this issue. Please keep this thread alive with updates or more details of your blue LED light condition! I'm turning on my notifications for responses to this thread because I really would like to figure this out, at least a little, some day.

Edited by Myr

Myr, I have optic nerve damage in one eye that is over 40yrs old. I didn't start seeing these  blue dots until about 20yrs ago. I see them with my eyes open, closed , on me on the TV, & on other people.  The frequency of when they appear is not regular at all. The thing that struck me as odd is my husband sees them too and once a friend came over and I brought up the subject and she too was seeing them.  Prior to her confirmation I thought perhaps it was something environmental in our home.  I think we can strike that one off the list.  I kid with my husband and tell him we are mutating as human beings and are acquiring the ability to "see" into other realities or dimensions. One thing I would be curious to know is if there is  any commonality in the people posting on here. My husband,  the friend and myself are spiritual (not religious) people.  I think it's fascinating regardless of the reason.

On 2/2/2012 at 3:37 AM, CaptainPanic said:

Here's a link to an article about seeing spots (not necessarily blue though).

...I've experienced the low blood sugar spots myself a few times... and often when I was so engaged in something (mostly work or gaming) that I kinda forgot to eat or drink enough.

It's nothing that some fruit, a decent lunch or even some soft drink can't help. It went away within (approx.) 30 minutes. Obviously, there is no instant remedy - it takes a little while before your blood sugar is up again... but fruit sugars seem to be the quickest in my limited experience.

..."when I was so engaged in something (mostly work or gaming)".

Here is the answer to this question about this LED blue spot in your and our vision. It is not low sugar:). I got it recently as well, after I was scanned against coronavirus by the Germicidal UV-C device many times when traveling from NYC to Atlantic City on the buses that belong to Chinese-American company "Golden Express". I went to the eye doctor, who supposed to tell me what it was (Kenneth Wald at NYU Langone Health, professor, not some trainee). But after taking the eye pictures he said that he does not know what it is, he said he does not see anything... . The size of my LED blue spot is like a small bean, quite big. I see it very well on daily basis. And it is in the center always. According to science, if you look at UVC blue light more than 3 seconds - the retina of the eye will be burned.

I was looking at the UVC Germicidal anti-covid device very often traveling btw NYC and Atlantic City (whole July and beginning of August 2020) for more than 3 seconds each time. After I noticed this blue LED spot in my vision (It has same blue color like the UVC LED Germicidal device whe turned on), I started questioning what kind device the "Golden Express" was using - I thought it was the regular harmless metal detector. Appeared it was the dangerous anti-covid device that has UVC 260-280nm wave length. I learned a lot how dangerous this device after it was too late. I took picture of it and made some scary discoveries. There are many such devices for sale on eBay for $20-$25. Description said that these devices are dangerous and should not be used on people. This device called UVC LED Germicidal Wand, kills 99.9% of germs and viruses. It is unbranded, made in China. 

Now the really bad news: we all who have these blue LED spots in vision have burned retina. Next, expect cataracts. No way out. 

Now, I learned the hard way how dangerous UVC is. Now, 2 months later after I (my eyes) was frequently exposed to the Germicidal UVC device, I have on both eyes developing cataracts and have to wear constantly protective goggles glasses to stop their progress as much as possible. What happened can cause blindness and not reversible. I think doctors should be more open about dangers of artificial UVC and its consequences - blindness. I do not believe NYU LANGONE does not know anything about the UVC eyes exposure's consequences, blue LED spots in vision and burned retina...

20201206_081650.jpg

Edited by JustMe

• 5 weeks later...

I see the same blue light and it behaves exactly as it does for the original poster.  I have asked my opthalmologist about it and he saw nothing in my exam that would explain it. I had a brain MRI for another reason sometime back and it was normal. So there seems to be no medical explanation. I have been seeing the blue light for several years now, it blinks on brightly and goes off a second later.

Hi again,

Thanks Sherri for responding with your history! In a way, I think I do have the personality type that may be considered a bit 'spiritual' but am far too skeptical to really 'believe' in my spiritual tendencies as much more than a possible personality trait of a human animal. But, if it's true that many people experiencing this are 'spiritual', who am I to rule that reasoning out! It seems unlikely to me that something like personality would be connected to seeing a specific phenomenon like this, having an education specialized in the brain, including all kinds of things like vision, neurology, and personality. In all of my psychology background I have never heard of a symptom of this type being related to spirituality. But maybe it's possible! Who really knows.

In the past few weeks, for the first time since I started seeing it, my blue dot has become something a bit 'more'. I still see the same blue dot at times, but often I see it as a less specific and opaque phenomenon and at times in other areas of my vision (it was very fixed before). Still the bright blue LED colour, but sometimes a flash of it thats larger and more blotchy/transparent than most of us here have been talking about before.

I don't think that this has much if anything to do with some of the above suggested causes (covid devices, floaters, blue field entopic phenomenon, low blood sugar, or meditation/spirituality). Possibly those are causes of other visual phenomena, but it seems to me that the one we are talking about here is very specific (that tiny, LED bright blue dot that comes about RANDOMLY and is in a FIXED position), and those above causes refer to a different symptom than the one most of us are referring to.

Anyway, I just wanted to update that I am planning on getting my eyes checked again and then possibly trying to get in for an MRI or something, due to the increase/change in this symptom.

Has anyone else who has the fixed, random, bright blue dot experienced an increase in size, frequency, or change in location of the dot at any point in their lives? 

Do any of you get migraines or suffer from other neurological symptoms?

Please keep this thread updated with any new medical visits/tests that could shine more light onto this for all of us!

Happy new year to you all!

• 2 months later...

Hi guys! I recently “came out” from hiding this phenomenon. For years I’ve seen coloured dots but mainly, like another Said; blue and red. Over the years blue has been the dominant colour. I’ve had rare occasions where I see yellow but it’s very seldom. I came out with it to a new Doctor, I recently moved location. She said to get my eyes checked. The same thing like most here. It was found that I’m normal..I even had this odd eye drop experience to see the back of the retina but nothing all healthy and good. I like some of the thoughts that it could be spiritual or evolution but with no evidence or support to prove it. I feel like most, strange..I watch a lot on my mobile and laptop and thought maybe that’s why but who knows...I wish we could get some workshop or test. I told a friend for the first time and he was neutral. I would like to find more people in my community with this. 

On 1/2/2012 at 6:18 PM, Lara said:

Since about 8 years ago I have been occasionally experiencing the sudden appearance of a bright blue dot in my vision. The frequency with wich it occurs also varies: sometimes I see them a few times a day, sometimes not for weeks. It is not longer present than 2 seconds and is not moving, even if my visionfield changes (= even if I look at something else). Also, they appear in different surroundings: regardless of lightintensity and coloursetting. They can appear with a background of a white wall in daylight, as well as in dark with different coloured background. I've never experienced a pressure on my eyes or head when it happens. In other words, I haven't discovered a common denominator when a blue dot appears.

Is there anyone with similar experiences or with a logical explanation for this phenomenon?

Exactly same happening with me since around 12 to 15 years ..your post is old but .please reply to me if you now know something more about it ...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I have blue/purper dots over a few years now. It started with one blind spot in my left eye. The doctors could not find anything... In the meantime I already had 4 blind spots in my left eye (fixed spots) . The biggest two blind spots turn blue/purple for a few seconds when I look in to bright light or go from light to dark. This happens about 5 time a day. Sometimes I see tiny blue spots over my whole vision as well. Mostly when I wake up, this takes a few seconds. I have no idea what it is... The docters cant find anything. I have had a MRI,VEP, fluorescein angiography, visual field examination and other eye researches. Some docters think there is a connection between my symptoms and my history of migraine aura. But others say that is nonsense. It is scary because it slowly get worse. I also experience other migraine-like symptoms throughout the day not like the normal migraine aura. When I have a migraine aura it is different and over within 30 minutes. Sorry for my english, did the best I could ;)

Someone who recognizes this? Or any ideas what it could be? 

im clueless..

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Glad to see this forum is still going! I have also been experiencing for the past few months now a blue dot in my vision. I feel it’s important to say that I’m 18 years old with 20/20 vision, so I don’t think it’s related to any sort of macular degeneration. It comes and goes in a second, is always in a different spot in my vision, and doesn’t move. Like everyone has said, it seems to come on randomly. 

I recently saw an ophthalmologist and my results were all normal. I then had an MRI and those results were normal too. In a couple days I’m going to take an EEG, which I expect to me normal tbh but I can update regardless. All I can really say is maybe it’s because of looking at screens all the time? I mean before the pandemic I had a desk job, during the pandemic I had online school and go on my phone a lot on top of that so maybe my eyes aren’t used to looking at a screen for as long as I have? This is the only logical explanation I can come up with. My doctor thinks it’s an ocular migraine but I don’t get headaches at all. Even when I tell her this it’s the only explanation she can come up with; I don’t think that is the case. 

Anyway I’m glad I stumbled upon this page because no one else I know seems to have this issue (which is why I am very much uncertain about the screen reasoning cuz I know I’m not the only one staring at them a lot)

Update in case anyone is reading: eeg came back normal. My running theory now is perhaps my eyes are sensitive to light and when a change of light occurs those dots appear. My dr still wants to prescribe me migraine medication but I won’t do that since like I said I get no head pain

8 hours ago, Julia14 said:

My dr still wants to prescribe me migraine medication but I won’t do that since like I said I get no head pain

Migraines do not always involve headache pain.

If you don't trust your doctor you should get another doctor.

On 7/30/2021 at 4:09 AM, Julia14 said:

This is the only logical explanation I can come up with.

On 7/30/2021 at 4:09 AM, Julia14 said:

My doctor thinks it’s an ocular migraine but I don’t get headaches at all. Even when I tell her this it’s the only explanation she can come up with;

So we have your "logic" vs your doctor's opinion, and part of your criticism is that your doctor can only come up with one explanation, which is exactly what you've done. I'm not saying you aren't right, but you both have a single explanation about what's going on with your eyes, and she's had training and experience. I'll echo Bufofrog's reply about doctors and trust. You should get a second opinion if you doubt your doctor's advice.

12 hours ago, Julia14 said:

My dr still wants to prescribe me migraine medication but I won’t do that since like I said I get no head pain

I have a condition most people find painful, but for me it's more like a lack of sensitivity, a numbness. The medications for it are trying to alleviate the underlying condition rather than focusing on pain management, and I've heard migraine meds are the same. You may have migraines that don't affect you in a painful way. After hearing about others with my condition, I'm glad I don't have the pain, and I take the meds to keep it that way.

!

Moderator Note

Nobody here is qualified to diagnose you; you can get some tidbits of information, but beyond that it's a matter of you discussing this with a medical professional. Either asking your current doctor why they think it's migraine-related, and/or getting a second opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I've read a few stories in my research about this random blue dot phenomenon, but tonight, read them all, as this is literally the ONLY thing I can find that doesn't talk about floaters or seeing different colors, blood sugar etc. It sucks that no one has really found answers. I too have 20/20 vision, blood sugar is great and no migraines. I've been seeing this blue dot for about 6 months now. Started about once a day a few times a week to multiple times a day now almost every day. I'll be following, because maybe, just maybe, one of us will find out what tf is going on!

• 2 months later...

Hello to all. I'm so happy that i found this forum. I spet a lot of time to find info about this blue spot and i'm happy that it is not only me. 

I don't remember when i saw first time this blue point in view area. But when i saw it i was very confused because i felt like SB is wathing me, i felt like see led/diode like is im camera but not red - it was blue. This was my first filling. After this time i see this blue spot very randomly and in random site of view, sometimes in left up corner, another time in left down or center but always from left side. Maybe mg left side/eye is more sensitive? When i see it i'm not hungry/thirsty/tired etc

Realy it is very frustrating, it is showing for moment and disapear... It is good i'm Not Alone

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, Davidson Buchholz said:

I started seeing fixed blue, white, and purple orbs or dots. They only last a second.

That doesn't sound like a big problem, you should mention it to your Dr. on your next visit.

6 hours ago, Davidson Buchholz said:

I've also seen a man with glowing blue eyes in the middle of the day.

Hallucinations are a bit more concerning.  If this is a one off thing, I would not be too concerned, if this happens with any regularity you should definitely consult your Dr.