Sudden appearance of small blue dots in my vision

Since about 8 years ago I have been occasionally experiencing the sudden appearance of a bright blue dot in my vision. The frequency with wich it occurs also varies: sometimes I see them a few times a day, sometimes not for weeks. It is not longer present than 2 seconds and is not moving, even if my visionfield changes (= even if I look at something else). Also, they appear in different surroundings: regardless of lightintensity and coloursetting. They can appear with a background of a white wall in daylight, as well as in dark with different coloured background. I've never experienced a pressure on my eyes or head when it happens. In other words, I haven't discovered a common denominator when a blue dot appears.

Is there anyone with similar experiences or with a logical explanation for this phenomenon?

You'll also notice that these specks never seem to stay still when you try to focus on them. Floaters and spots move when your eye moves, creating the impression that they are "drifting."

I'm familiar with these 'floaters' & 'drifters'. The blue dots I descriped do not behave like these: they don't float. Just appear for one or two seconds and then vanish. Also, the blue dots do not seem to be an effect of some retinal disturbance. As far as I can gather from being reflective on my own perception ;)...

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a link to an article about seeing spots (not necessarily blue though).

It can be as simple as low blood sugar. But it can also be more serious.

Of course, getting professional advice is always a good idea. I certainly encourage you to see a doctor. But I would also take a critical look at your diet... and if you go to see a doctor be sure to mention your diet too - so you don't get diagnosed with something weird when you only should eat one more slice of bread at lunch, or occasionally take some fruit.

I've experienced the low blood sugar spots myself a few times... and often when I was so engaged in something (mostly work or gaming) that I kinda forgot to eat or drink enough.

It's nothing that some fruit, a decent lunch or even some soft drink can't help. It went away within (approx.) 30 minutes. Obviously, there is no instant remedy - it takes a little while before your blood sugar is up again... but fruit sugars seem to be the quickest in my limited experience.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

I believe my LED blue light dot flashes come from my neck. I got vestibular testing done last year. They did this one test where they put earbuds in my ears that sounded like a woodpecker knocking, and at the same time I had to turn my head to either side and lift it up slightly. Whenever I turned my head to the left side and lifted I saw the blue lights flashing over and over and over, in sync with the Woodpecker noise. It was very weird, yet comforting that it probably had something to do with my neck. Whenever I spoke to the neurologist about it, he said that he believes that I am having cervical migraines.

I have been seeing these blue flashing lights for a few years now. I also have been experiencing pain on my whole left side of my body for a few years, which is in connection to my neck and coccyx.

• 3 weeks later...

I also often see a small blue dot the size of a sesame seed.  I saw it for the first time in the summer of 1967 when I was 12 years old.  At the time, I didn't know what it was.  After that, I don't remember seeing it again until I became an adult.  After I met Swami Muktananda in 1979, I started seeing the blue dot more often.  As described in the Hindu scriptures, the blue dot is the form of the individual soul.  It is a very rare and auspicious vision to see the blue dot, which is called Neela Bindu.  Sometimes, yogis are able to see the blue dot in meditation.  This blue dot contains the human soul--the essence of a human being.  Swami Muktananda spread the teachings of Siddha Yoga throughout the world.  He took samadhi in 1982, and his successor is Swami Chidvilasananda, known affectionately as Gurumayi.  Gurumayi created several new courses in Siddha Yoga.  Among these is "The Blue Pearl Course" and "The Blue Pearl Retreat".  I have taken both of these powerful courses.  In these courses, a seeker is able to personally experience the Blue Pearl, which is probably what you call the "blue dot".  Gurumayi says that seekers should meditate on the Blue Pearl.  She says that if a seeker meditates on the Blue Pearl with persistent effort, eventually it will stabilize, so that you are able to see it for longer periods of time.  If you then continue to meditate on the Blue Pearl, she says it will eventually explode, and then you will experience the world as a form of your own Self.  You will see yourself in everyone and everything in the world.  That is the highest reality.

Strangely enough, I sometimes see the Blue Pearl when I'm taking a shower.  Generally, I see the Blue Pearl with my eyes closed, but I have sometimes seen it with eyes wide open.  I can't control when I see the Blue Pearl.  The Blue Pearl is free.  It appears according to its own volition.  If you continue to meditate on the Blue Pearl, you may observe that it isn't a dot, but rather is a sphere.  It radiates cooling blue rays, like ethereal rays of moonlight.  These cooling rays bring peace and stillness of the mind.  If you are able to meditate on the Blue Pearl, your mind will become enchanted with its beauty and divine radiance.  Swami Muktananda said that it is this Blue Pearl which makes a human being radiant and beautiful.  When the Blue Pearl leaves the body at the time of a person's death, that body becomes nothing but a corpse.  Sometimes the Blue Pearl may appear to be red or black to a seeker at certain times.  Swami Muktananda said the Blue Pearl may appear to be red or black because of impurities in the seeker's system, but these impurities are eventually cleaned out by Kundalini Shakti.

17 hours ago, DeanM said:

I also often see a small blue dot the size of a sesame seed.  I saw it for the first time in the summer of 1967 when I was 12 years old.  At the time, I didn't know what it was.  After that, I don't remember seeing it again until I became an adult.  After I met Swami Muktananda in 1979, I started seeing the blue dot more often.  As described in the Hindu scriptures, the blue dot is the form of the individual soul.  It is a very rare and auspicious vision to see the blue dot, which is called Neela Bindu.  Sometimes, yogis are able to see the blue dot in meditation.  This blue dot contains the human soul--the essence of a human being.  Swami Muktananda spread the teachings of Siddha Yoga throughout the world.  He took samadhi in 1982, and his successor is Swami Chidvilasananda, known affectionately as Gurumayi.  Gurumayi created several new courses in Siddha Yoga.  Among these is "The Blue Pearl Course" and "The Blue Pearl Retreat".  I have taken both of these powerful courses.  In these courses, a seeker is able to personally experience the Blue Pearl, which is probably what you call the "blue dot".  Gurumayi says that seekers should meditate on the Blue Pearl.  She says that if a seeker meditates on the Blue Pearl with persistent effort, eventually it will stabilize, so that you are able to see it for longer periods of time.  If you then continue to meditate on the Blue Pearl, she says it will eventually explode, and then you will experience the world as a form of your own Self.  You will see yourself in everyone and everything in the world.  That is the highest reality.

Strangely enough, I sometimes see the Blue Pearl when I'm taking a shower.  Generally, I see the Blue Pearl with my eyes closed, but I have sometimes seen it with eyes wide open.  I can't control when I see the Blue Pearl.  The Blue Pearl is free.  It appears according to its own volition.  If you continue to meditate on the Blue Pearl, you may observe that it isn't a dot, but rather is a sphere.  It radiates cooling blue rays, like ethereal rays of moonlight.  These cooling rays bring peace and stillness of the mind.  If you are able to meditate on the Blue Pearl, your mind will become enchanted with its beauty and divine radiance.  Swami Muktananda said that it is this Blue Pearl which makes a human being radiant and beautiful.  When the Blue Pearl leaves the body at the time of a person's death, that body becomes nothing but a corpse.  Sometimes the Blue Pearl may appear to be red or black to a seeker at certain times.  Swami Muktananda said the Blue Pearl may appear to be red or black because of impurities in the seeker's system, but these impurities are eventually cleaned out by Kundalini Shakti.

Sounds like it may be something like this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma
You should probably see a medical practitioner. 

Edited by John Cuthber

• 2 months later...

I have been seeing this single, small pinpoint of bright, deep blue light dot for years. For those of you saying see a  doctor, the blue light many of us see is not like those that come before a migraine or a floater.  When you turn your head, the floaters follow/move with you. The blue light stays where it is. It also appears at different depths in the room, sometimes right next to me, other times in thevopposite corner of the room.

After much research, I now know the blue light is absolutely some type of loving, almost protective essence. When I researched this years ago, the people who saw this light the most were those calling upon Archangel Michael often. 

I have never been religious as my parents are athiests, but I am open minded and aware enough to know such beings  exist. 

To me, my light is Archangel Michael. When I see the light, I use it as a reminder to get present and to know you I am loved and protected. 

10 minutes ago, Jenna P. said:

I have been seeing this single, small pinpoint of bright, deep blue light dot for years. For those of you saying see a  doctor, the blue light many of us see is not like those that come before a migraine or a floater.  When you turn your head, the floaters follow/move with you. The blue light stays where it is. It also appears at different depths in the room, sometimes right next to me, other times in thevopposite corner of the room.

After much research, I now know the blue light is absolutely some type of loving, almost protective essence. When I researched this years ago, the people who saw this light the most were those calling upon Archangel Michael often. 

I have never been religious as my parents are athiests, but I am open minded and aware enough to know such beings  exist. 

To me, my light is Archangel Michael. When I see the light, I use it as a reminder to get present and to know you I am loved and protected. 

You should see at least one doctor, maybe 2.

1 hour ago, Jenna P. said:

oh, John...you are in for a big surprise one day lol!  it's all good... one can only see from their current level of awareness. I only posted so others researching the blue light can get another answer outside of the doctor one. 

!

Moderator Note

This being a science forum means you should probably keep the outside-of-the-doctor explanations elsewhere. 

• 2 months later...

This is a subject that I have pondered for the last 5yrs. For those of you who seem to think that those of us that see the blue dot should see a doctor of some kind or that it is an angel may perhaps entertain another line of thought. When this first started I didn't say anything to anyone about what was going on. Finally one day I mention it to my husband and he said he had been experiencing the same thing. A few weeks later we had a visitor over and relayed the odd blue dot sightings to this person who immediately responded with a silent shaking of the head in an affirmation that she too had been experiencing the same thing. Now mind you I had already gone through the "well maybe it's environmental?... Maybe it's a vitamin or mineral deficiency?" But when this person as well as someone I ran across on a forum had the same experience I decided that there was something more to this. The theory I proposed to my husband was this: Maybe we are evolving as a species to have the ability to see into other dimensions. Any changes in an animals evolution don't happen overnight it comes with time as changes are needed to adapt to our environment. Who's to say we aren't witnessing a physical change in humans?

Edited by Sherri

• 3 weeks later...

first time i saw the little blue light was when i was probably eight or ten.  my great grandfather had just passed away the day before.  the light woke me out of my sleep and i called for my mom, who came into the room and turned on the light.  i could still see the blue light with the bedroom light on and kept pointing to it and asking her about it.  she didn't see it. 

as far as "science" goes... let us not limit our understanding of  to the gross physical stuff and chemistry.  metaphysics is physics too, only its about subtler, higher frequencies.

48 minutes ago, hu k. said:

first time i saw the little blue light was when i was probably eight or ten.  my great grandfather had just passed away the day before.  the light woke me out of my sleep and i called for my mom, who came into the room and turned on the light.  i could still see the blue light with the bedroom light on and kept pointing to it and asking her about it.  she didn't see it. 

as far as "science" goes... let us not limit our understanding of  to the gross physical stuff and chemistry.  metaphysics is physics too, only its about subtler, higher frequencies.

If it's not measurable it's not physics.

22 hours ago, hu k. said:

The frequency of what?

• 7 months later...

I started getting the "Blue Dots" or "Blue Sparks" in 1994. They would startle me at first. I thought maybe it was from using the computer and messing up my vision.  Thru the years, I have also seen Red Dots. And occasionally purple, yellow dots. But they are mostly Blue or Red.
I'm wondering what they are. Not many people have this visual defect. These are like small spark-like dots. They last a few seconds then fade away. They stay in one area and disappear. They are not floaters. They don't follow your eye movement like floaters do.
I still get them. What are these?