What are you listening to right now?

heathenwilliamduke

I will accept no variation - although Clapton et al and Tom Petty et al both had fair stabs at it at the tribute concerts. The above, well...

And the ultimate cover version is Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah. Cohen's orginal is good - but Buckley's version on Grace is IMN-S-HO the best individual track ever recorded

I'm not saying a thing - i find my house increasingly built of glass.

Oh yeah, missed that. Not heard Counting Crows before, but i do like Vanessa Carlton.

How about suggestions for covers that are better than the original?

Original:

Cover:

Trent Reznor - said it was like losing a girlfriend, that was his song till he heard Cash and knew it could never be his again.

I often wonder how artists feel about someone covering their songs and doing it better than they do. Heart did and or does cover lots of Led Zeppelin songs. Hearts rendition of Stairway to Heaven moved Jimmy Page to tears during a tribute to Led Zeppelin a couple years ago. Ann Wilson likes to sing Led Zeppelin tunes and her voice is difficult fault...

Manowar - The Gods Made Heavy Metal

Now DIO - Metal Will Never Die

\m/

This one speaks to a lot of us methinks...

Edited by ajb

Manowar - The Gods Made Heavy Metal

Now DIO - Metal Will Never Die

\m/

This one speaks to a lot of us methinks...

I was a headbanger in my early teens when Halford was the lead singer.

This is a good cover of Floyd's Time:

One of my first concerts was Elvin Bishop opening for the Allman Brothers. Elvin came back out and played about the last five songs with the Allman Brothers. One of the best concerts I've ever been to. Ah, good times...

Elvin Bishop had a degree in physics... so we approve his music! ;)

--------------------------------------------------------

Together we are stronger... fu*king leave voters.

Edited by ajb

I never really got into queen ... still a good band.

They were huge when I was a kid. I wouldn't say one gets 'into' Queen because they were a fun band really but the band were very good musicians and Mercury had an awesome voice imo... no one like him. Notably, that I can remember, he was never openly derided for his openly camp and gay persona, even in the early seventies when homosexuality was still very much in the closet and largely scorned..He was always a popular guy.

Edited by StringJunky

Fat Bottom girls was released in 1978 - the same year DIO left Rainbow... a little fun fact for you there.

Dio then joined Black Sabbath in 1979 -- that lead to this beast of a tune

I remember Dio more for his later stuff, but of course including Black Sabbath. I really like is live works including in London 2005 \m/

-------

Maybe is is worth saying 1978 was the year Judas Priest released the album Stained Class.

Edited by ajb

I remember Dio more for his later stuff, but of course including Black Sabbath. I really like is live works including in London 2005 \m/

-------

Maybe is is worth saying 1978 was the year Judas Priest released the album Stained Class.

Rock on AJB!!! I didn't realize that we have the same taste in music. \m/

-------

Metalhead you are aren't you? I must admit I've been pulling out the heavy and hard tunes on Yutoob....ah memories and damaged ears from the gigs. :) YT blows me away because I'm finding gigs that weren't shown much in their day; like that Rainbow stuff. It was all LPs then.

I also like heavily guitar-oriented like this wailing Kossof track:

Yes... I wonder if people I meet a suprised by that. I don't wear tight black jeans and a leather jacket anymore.

It doesn't surprise me because quite a few of the metal-loving kids I knew at school were pretty clever. I was more the hippy type. Long-hair, tight jeans and Floyd t-shirt. I've only just this year got rid of my long hair.which I've had, on and off, since I was 15.