What are you listening to right now?

heathenwilliamduke

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2022 at 8:29 AM, Alex_Krycek said:

Authentic dub.  Haven't heard this in a while.  

Good vibes.

Thanks Alex.  Your name reminds me of the fact I saw every episode of X Files. 

I was 27 when I discovered reggae music on my radio dial after Bob Marley had died in 1981.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beatifully made, very motivational, educational videos on paleontology, geology, and the entire history of the Earth:

The extra code just takes you to the list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_a_xU2KQdE&list=PLoOkB6QkDW_S7fdqmfW-_lwS_Kp_uwfeo

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Peterkin said:

I finally understand, rather than just know, what's meant by "tickling the ivories".

It's incredibly clever, especially played from memory. But I'm afraid emotionally it left me a bit cold. 

Here are two of my all time instrumental favourites, that really stir me up inside too

I'm not a big jazz fan, but have always been partial to acoustic guitar. That goes back to a Segovia when I was in high school, then Narcisco Ypes, Julian Bream (my first LP, before I'd save up for a record player) John Williams, Leona Boyd... and there are some very fine youngsters still coming up. 

Just lately, though, I've bean learning to appreciate choral music. All sorts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inBKFMB-yPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6AxTDrthl8

I also don't listen to a lot of jazz, however, there is not a musical genre that doesn't include some of my favorite music. (Which makes it very disconcerting for anyone who is listening to my music collection!) That was an excellent version of Take Five! 

+1

2 hours ago, mistermack said:

It's incredibly clever, especially played from memory. But I'm afraid emotionally it left me a bit cold. 

Here are two of my all time instrumental favourites, that really stir me up inside too

Yeah, Am in P might be an acquired taste for some.  I connected with it (and all things Gershwin) at an early age, then learned to play some of the Daly transcription when I studied piano. (It's brutal and I can only get through a few passages)  I like both Brubeck and Class Gas, and play them on the piano from time to time.  Both Take 5 and Blue Rondo are within my playing ability, thanks to the fact that Brubeck when young broke his hands in a car accident and thereafter opted for chordings that favor stiff hands.  A lot of his transcriptions are in the public domain, so I can just download pdf files for free.   

10 hours ago, Peterkin said:

I finally understand, rather than just know, what's meant by "tickling the ivories".

Yes!  When I hear that phrase I think of that golden piano era when ticklers like Fats Waller, Zez Confrey and Jelly Roll Morton were wowing audiences with their superhuman fingerwork.  And most keyboards were composed of actual ivory.  

In my youth I attended concerts regularly. Hearing certain songs gives me warm memories of those times.

While I was fortunate enough to see many great performers, high up on the list was a concert by the Allman Brothers with Elvin Bishop as the opening act. They played together at the end of the Allman Brothers' set. Still remember that show...