What are you listening to right now?

heathenwilliamduke

2 hours ago, beecee said:

Slim Dusty and Daughter Anne Kirkpatrick, singing, "Drovin all over this land

[...]

A song with high carbon and methane fingerprint, but beautiful nonetheless. ;)

Glad Anne didn't adopt dad's stage name to become Anne Dusty. ;)

I knew Slim Dusty from his version of Waltzing Matilda.

I love this version of Waltzing Matilda explained too:

5 hours ago, joigus said:

That's Rolf Harris, of "Tie me Kangaroo down Sport" fame, and of course the "Wobble board" 

Slim was also married to one half of the McKean sisters, Joy, another old Australain C+W singing duo.

One of my favourite Slim Dusty songs was the following...I hope I havn't put it up before??

Since we seem to be into all things Oz at the moment, another Australian icon like Slim Dusty was John Williamson. Here he is singing a song called "True Blue" at Australia Zoo, during a memorial service after the death of Steve Irwin. Quite touching.

Edited by beecee

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Airbrush said:

This is the sweetest version I've heard, better than Led Zeppelin's version.  Interesting instrument!

I loved the instrument, and the delivery is amazing. I can't say I like it better than Led Zeppelin's version though. This one is sweet. Led Zeppelin's is more... well, bittersweet. And I love both.

On 2/3/2022 at 7:50 PM, beecee said:

That's Rolf Harris, of "Tie me Kangaroo down Sport" fame, and of course the "Wobble board" 

Slim was also married to one half of the McKean sisters, Joy, another old Australain C+W singing duo.

One of my favourite Slim Dusty songs was the following...I hope I havn't put it up before??

Loved it!

@beecee,

I have a soft spot for working-class songs. One of the greatest American songs is, IMO, Sixteen Tons. So many unforgettable versions...

I'm looking for a version by Merle Travis which he ends by singing,

"I owe my soul to... Tennessee Ernie Ford". :D :D :D 

And the audience burst out laughing.

It's taking me some time to find it. But in the meantime, here's a version by ZZ Top and Jeff Beck.

Vinnie Colaiuta is at the drums. He's been praised as one of the best drummers of all time.

9 hours ago, joigus said:

I have a soft spot for working-class songs. One of the greatest American songs is, IMO, Sixteen Tons. So many unforgettable versions...

I'm looking for a version by Merle Travis which he ends by singing,

"I owe my soul to... Tennessee Ernie Ford". :D :D :D 

Not half bad! Every man and his dog was humming/singing that song when Ernie Ford first released it. Here's another interesting version, by the new Platters....

10 hours ago, joigus said:

I have a soft spot for working-class songs. One of the greatest American songs is, IMO, Sixteen Tons. 

Another of course was by a great American artist, and political activist, who was the first person to sing at the Sydney Opera House in the early seventies. Only the foundations were laid, but he did this for the workers on site during their lunch break.... Paul Robeson.....

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, beecee said:

A bouncy little Spanish number by the Greek Angel:

A Sevillana. And she's singing with Andalusian pronunciation. :D 

Pepe Marchena: "La Rosa del Jardinero" (The Gardener's Rose).

This is cante jondo (deep singing).

Edited by joigus
translation

A Sevillana. And she's singing with Andalusian pronunciation. :D 

She sings like a horse? 😉 

Nana of course is capapble of singing fluently in many different languages, and is actually up there as the biggest selling female singer ever, and she didn't have to get her gear off to achieve that like your Madonna's and Mariah Cary's etc. 😊

Even in Mandarin.....

A Greek song about the capital, Athena......

She sings like a horse? 😉 

Yeah, they wish!! 

All Andalusian horses are Andalusian; but not all Andalusians are horses, as you well know. ;) 

Nana of course is capapble of singing fluently in many different languages, and is actually up there as the biggest selling female singer ever, and she didn't have to get her gear off to achieve that like your Madonna's and Mariah Cary's etc. 😊

Amen. 🤣🤣🤣 

Weird that I like Matt Dillon, and atmospheric movies in exotic locales, and yet haven't seen this film.  Thanks for a nudge.

Currently listening to ragtime selections on youtube.  (once in a while, someone gets the tempo right, doesnt rush it)