What are you listening to right now?

heathenwilliamduke

• 3 weeks later...

Only "discovered" him about a decade ago,  which means four decades of my life bring poorer than they could have been.   Effortless and stunning guitar playing,  amazing baritone with Scottish pipes droning deep within.  A friend recently quoted from Down Where the Drunkards Roll,  which made me think of him and the necessity to revisit his work and recharge my soul.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A group this time from Canada who called themselves "The Diamonds and had two big hits in Australia with She say and Walkin Along......

They did have another that I near forgot...little darlin...........................

Edited by beecee

Tonight we'll have a cover version of another great song, made famous by the Platters, and sung by Gene Pitney in this one...................

This may get some glockenspiel's  up and working...Anna Netbreko and a couple of other turkeys.....

RIP Stephen Sondheim.   Listening to Sweeney Todd later.  Maybe some clips from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.   A towering eminence of musical theater.  I recall an interview where he said his only past work that embarrassed him was the lyrics of "I Feel Pretty," because he has this young Puerto Rican immigrant using vocabulary more suited to Noel Coward.   Hey, you were 27, give yourself a break.

13 minutes ago, TheVat said:

RIP Stephen Sondheim.   Listening to Sweeney Todd later.  Maybe some clips from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.   A towering eminence of musical theater.  I recall an interview where he said his only past work that embarrassed him was the lyrics of "I Feel Pretty," because he has this young Puerto Rican immigrant using vocabulary more suited to Noel Coward.   Hey, you were 27, give yourself a break.

Extraordinary talent requires extraordinary self-criticism?

Edited by joigus
minor correction

12 minutes ago, geordief said:

https://lyricsjonk.com/john-martyn-big-muff.html

Anyone care to explain what he is talking about?

("muff" is slang for the vagina)

John Martyn sadly missed.

"Co-written with Lee Perry, "Big Muff" originated when Martyn and Lee were having breakfast with Blackwell and his girlfriend Marianne with tea cups shaped like animals.[15][27] Martyn recalled: "Scratch is going, ‘Boy, look at the muff on that!’, looking at this horse. ‘Now put this with the pig, see? Now boy, this is one big muff!’ And he was going on about his big muff, and how it was going to get away with the powder puff and everything. That guy’s sense of humour is in the song. It’s silly, Jamaican silly."[27] The pair wrote the lyrics together at the breakfast table while Martyn later added the song's simplistic chords.[15] Described by critic Vivien Goldman as resembling "a new musical form, jazz-dub" -Wiki

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

"Co-written with Lee Perry, "Big Muff" originated when Martyn and Lee were having breakfast with Blackwell and his girlfriend Marianne with tea cups shaped like animals.[15][27] Martyn recalled: "Scratch is going, ‘Boy, look at the muff on that!’, looking at this horse. ‘Now put this with the pig, see? Now boy, this is one big muff!’ And he was going on about his big muff, and how it was going to get away with the powder puff and everything. That guy’s sense of humour is in the song. It’s silly, Jamaican silly."[27] The pair wrote the lyrics together at the breakfast table while Martyn later added the song's simplistic chords.[15] Described by critic Vivien Goldman as resembling "a new musical form, jazz-dub" -Wiki

Yes ,I had also found that but who is the man on the spiral staircase?A voyeur? ;)

Edited by geordief

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 11:03 AM, beecee said:

Love these tunes... There's something about waltz. And there's something about folk songs...

Nightmarish tho. ;) 

Edited by joigus
minor addition

Steve Bronski died on December 9th 2021 at the age of 61. He was largely responsible for the emergence of the Synth Pop movement in the early 80's mainly through this wonderful track. This track was one of the reasons I got into music and DJ'ing later in my life, I was 9 when this came out in 1983, it was revolutionary and it started the whole synth pop movement in Europe.

Edited by koti