Self awareness graph

I believe the solution to that problem resides in a basis algebraic expression that is a basis of logic thought: If a=b and b=c, then a=c. Cognitive skills (a) are evidence of some reasoning process (b) and reasoning (b) is evidence of consciousness (c); therefore, cognitive skills (a) are evidence of consciousness (c). In my opinion, there is very little distinction between cognitive skills and consciousness.

Possibly, but then again organisms that show a recognizeable (to us) fear of death must be as conscious and self aware even if they lack the same level of conitive skills as us.

A lack of consciousness and self awareness would mean that an entity has no concern about its own destruction, e.g. one of our robots. Consciousness is an evolutionary mechanism for self preservation that in turn makes it more likely that an organism passes on its genes to the next generation. Therefore surely in is inconceivable that evolution would bring about higher animals with little or no consciousness.

Perhaps we need to distinguish between lower and higher animals. With lower animals like insects flooding the environment with large numbers is as important or more important than a intense drive for self preservation.

But with hgher animals, and their generally higher resource requirements, flooding the environment with large numbers (on the same scale as insects) is not ecologically possible. Then an intense drive for self preservation becomes more important, hence consciousness and self awareness.

Perhaps there is a base level of consciousness that all higher animals possess but cognitive skills refine that conciousness to a higher level. Would make sense in terms of evolution. The higher you are in the food chain the fewer individuals and the more important (in terms of evolution) one individual is.

I believe the solution to that problem resides in a basis algebraic expression that is a basis of logic thought: If a=b and b=c, then a=c. Cognitive skills (a) are evidence of some reasoning process (b) and reasoning (b) is evidence of consciousness (c); therefore, cognitive skills (a) are evidence of consciousness (c). In my opinion, there is very little distinction between cognitive skills and consciousness.

http://reptilebehavior.com/target_training_to_reduce_aggres.htm

I am certain you would argue that reptiles, specifically alligators, or not intelligent therefore not conscious.

But read the above article.

It is possible to train alligators to be less aggressive when it comes to food. More specifically, it is possible to teach them to respond to human commands including calling their names.

Now cognition is linked to learning and learning is linked to intelligence. Therefore can we be so sure that reptiles do not have intelligence and are not conscious???? Even though they lack cerebral hemispheres that are traditionally associated with intelligence.

It is said that the brain is 'plastic' so perhaps even the reptilean R complex has limted plasticity that allows them to learn in ways that humans would understand as intelligence.

http://reptilebehavi...duce_aggres.htm

I am certain you would argue that reptiles, specifically alligators, or not intelligent therefore not conscious.

But read the above article.

It is possible to train alligators to be less aggressive when it comes to food. More specifically, it is possible to teach them to respond to human commands including calling their names.

Now cognition is linked to learning and learning is linked to intelligence. Therefore can we be so sure that reptiles do not have intelligence and are not conscious???? Even though they lack cerebral hemispheres that are traditionally associated with intelligence.

It is said that the brain is 'plastic' so perhaps even the reptilean R complex has limted plasticity that allows them to learn in ways that humans would understand as intelligence.

In my view consciousness does not necessitate intelligence; a species could be considered conscious and not have the measure we consider intelligence. Consciousness, at its most basic level, is merely suggested by some evidence of awareness. What distinguishes our measure of consciousness from lesser forms is a mind that enables responses beyond those considered instinctual; e.i., our measure of mind enables proactive behaviors rather than those consider reactive, programmed, or instinctive.

In my view consciousness does not necessitate intelligence; a species could be considered conscious and not have the measure we consider intelligence. Consciousness, at its most basic level, is merely suggested by some evidence of awareness. What distinguishes our measure of consciousness from lesser forms is a mind that enables responses beyond those considered instinctual; e.i., our measure of mind enables proactive behaviors rather than those consider reactive, programmed, or instinctive.

Found this on Wikipedia:

In medicine, consciousness is assessed by observing a patient's arousal and responsiveness, and can be seen as a continuum of states ranging from full alertness and comprehension, through disorientation, delirium, loss of meaningful communication, and finally loss of movement in response to painful stimuli.[5]

Found this on Wikipedia:

I'm not sure of the statment you are making here. That reference doesn't appear to support the idea that intelligence is essential to consciousness. It appears to be a references for the "continuum" of consciousness as measured in humans. It is my view that basic consciousness, relative to all animal species, is suggested by some basic evidence of awareness such as "arousal and responsiveness" to stimuli, which does not require intelligence to engage.

I'm not sure of the statment you are making here. That reference doesn't appear to support the idea that intelligence is essential to consciousness. It appears to be a references for the "continuum" of consciousness as measured in humans. It is my view that basic consciousness, relative to all animal species, is suggested by some basic evidence of awareness such as "arousal and responsiveness" to stimuli, which does not require intelligence to engage.

I posted it as it was medical support for my original idea that consciousness is a spectrum rather than a light switch.

• 7 months later...