A zero current circuit

Samm

Now I remember distinctly that one of my science teachers described to me a circuit that one could use to measure the potential difference of a galvanic cell; it's E0 value, ie. it's electric potential where there is no current. It involved a transformer, a micro-ammeter, the galvanic cell and a rheostat. I want to know how it works and possibly get more info on the subject.

Cheers.

Now I remember distinctly that one of my science teachers described to me a circuit that one could use to measure the potential difference of a galvanic cell; it's E0 value, ie. it's electric potential where there is no current. It involved a transformer, a micro-ammeter, the galvanic cell and a rheostat. I want to know how it works and possibly get more info on the subject.

Cheers.

I think you mean an adaptation of the circuit shown. The potentiometer would be replaced by two resistors, one fixed and the other a rheostat. I agree that there is no point in includind a transformer in a purely dc circuit.

post-22702-0-97464100-1324465676_thumb.jpg

Edited by TonyMcC

About the transformer, I meant a power source which, while DC, could have its voltage changed. Sorry for the confusion.

And yes, the pentiometer seems to fit exactly with what I remember about the circuit design.

Edited by Samm