I have a speculation/theory

minimoman

13 Billion years is a long blip. "Blip" is not the word. Virtual particles blip in and out very fast.

"13 Billion years is a long blip."

13 billion years seems a long time to us, but thats relative to your local frame

2 days is a very long time to a may fly...

Depends how you look at it

If tiny quiantum particles constantly blip in and out of space, do you think that possibl your universe is a blip of space? Like the big bang was the blip into space and eventually we are just goignto blip out?

Virtual particles blip in and out of space, but as particle and antiparticle, then they combine again to cancel out. Where is the antimatter universe that is going to cancel us out? Is it invisible?

"...virtual particles are often popularly described as coming in pairs, a particle and antiparticle, which can be of any kind. These pairs exist for an extremely short time, and mutually annihilate in short order. In some cases, however, it is possible to boost the pair apart using external energy so that they avoid annihilation and become real particles....."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_particles

If tiny quiantum particles constantly blip in and out of space, do you think that possibl your universe is a blip of space? Like the big bang was the blip into space and eventually we are just goignto blip out?

There has been speculation along those lines. But the plain fact is that while the theory is pretty good back to about 10^-33 sec, no one has a clue what happened at the actual moment of the big bang, t=0, and we have no theory remotely capable of addressing that question.

Lawrence Krauss once proposed something like that.

He basically shows that the universe has no total energy (gravitational potential energy is negative) because it's geometry is flat. Now the interesting part is that with no total energy, the universe could have come from a quantum fluctuation; virtual particles popping in and out of existence.

Hmm I wouldn't criticise it just yet but i agree with airbrush, for the big bang theory to be a "blip" is highly unlikely. we cannot compare a virtual particle to the universe as the theories that apply to them a different ie, the general theory of relativity and the quantum mechanics principle, as string theory would say. however this is a hypothetical view based on string theory.

I think u might have to improve ur thought process/vocabulary, "blip" wtf, time is something we perceive, perhaps ur just a blip.

Ok sorry, yeah I'll try to take that seriously now. OK sure we can try to describe our time/space as a blip in a infinte "super" space. But all that we can try to do is make measurements within our own space/time. Perhaps from these we can infer that there is something greater - which we cannot measure, but I'm not sure if it's possible to do anything more than that.

To say our own 'personal' universe (Hubble volume/Copenhagen interpretation) has particles popping into existence that create a new universe should be testable, within our reach. If it isn't then who knows, and it doesn't really matter does it.

Edited by Sorcerer