alloy equation question

rogerxd45

first off this is not home work, and second i hope i put this in the correct area if not i am sorry

so i have an alloy i made that is made up of coin silver (90%Ag and 10%Cu) and Tin

now i should have recorded the amounts of each i put in when i made it but i didnt so now i would like to know is there any way to mathematically figure out how much coin silver and how much tin is in the sample? i just want to know how much "coin silver" and how much tin is in the sample i dont need how much copper, silver and tin. (i hope that makes sense)

so the density of coin silver is 10.339g/cm3 (calculated by multiplying the density of silver and copper by the percentage of each in the coin (.90 * 10.5) + (.10* 8.89)= 10.339g/cm3) i believe that is the correct way to do it

the density of tin is 7.365g/cm3

the density of my sample is 8.454g/cm3

its mass is 30.9g

volume is 3.655cm3

i would really like to know how to solve it as opposed to just giving me the answer.

i dont even know if it is possible to figure out, im pretty sure it is but i have no idea how

Assuming that the densities do combine linearly, which I don't think is accurate in too many cases in general (I guarantee it does NOT except in special cases for liquids and gases; I admit I don't know about metals, but I'd think that melting two or more of them together would bring about some non-linear effects from the atom's interactions), your measurement of the mass gives you the data you need.

Remember that density*volume = mass. You have the mass from your measurement. And you have the parts that make up the density*volume (two or three parts, depending on how you want to look at it).