how to drugs damage the brain?

We've all heard the warnings: do to many drugs and you'll end up like Ozzy, permanently brain damaged. But I've done a bit of research when I was doing my psych degree and I found it extremely hard to find the studies that explain the exact details of how drugs do this, what kind of damage they cause, how much is too much, what kind of drugs cause what kind of damage, and so forth and so on. I don't doubt that the evidence is out there, but I'd really like to come across some good ones. Does anyone have any knowledge to impart?

Gibby

Right? Could you share with us the other forms of brain damage that don't involve killing brain cells? I'm not being facetious, its just I would have imagined that it was destruction of brain cells that accounted for most/all brain damage.

gib65, a speculation: I would imagine that specific drugs zero in on particular portion of the brain, causing localised damage.

Right? Could you share with us the other forms of brain damage that don't involve killing brain cells? I'm not being facetious' date=' its just I would have imagined that it was destruction of brain cells that accounted for most/all brain damage.

gib65, a speculation: I would imagine that specific drugs zero in on particular portion of the brain, causing localised damage.[/quote']

I do not want to be pedantic but sometimes a brain cell can still work, allthough not in the manner intended, short term, an example is getting 'high'

Your question's a bit broad. Each drug harms the brain is different ways, and not all the drugs harm the brain. Some drugs, like ecstacy cause a lot of long term damage, where as some drugs, like pot, don't. Narrow your subject a bit if you want any real answers.

I think, first, we need a working definition of the word "drugs". One of the best I've seen is: "A Drug is any non-food substance that affects body function."

From this, it is obvious that a drug does not contribute to the physical growth or sustinance of an organism, although it does affect or alter it in some way. Benign substances are not drugs. Therefore, the overall, net effect of drugs (by definition) is physically deficit, regardless of any percieved beneficial effect.

The projection, then, is that long term drug effects would be deletrious (ie. "Your Brain on Drugs").

If we look at the long term symptoms of addiction, we will see that Late Phase is where tissue adaptation occurs. Body tissues actually adapt to the presence of a drug, and will not function properly without it. Many of these adaptations are irreversible and remain, even if the individual stops using. So, it is indeed tissue damage... even if not destroyed.

An example may be found in whole organs adapting. Such as the liver, the body's incinerator - that burns all the garbage in the bloodstream. If operating at or near max., the liver will swell, actually be able to burn "more". But then, because it is running hot, will develope some small holes where the biles leak out. These biles are toxic and tend to float to the top of the skin (ie. "liver spots"). They could inadvertanly oxidize other tissues on their way there. So, yes, there is consequential damage due to tissue adaptation, and not neccessarily direct damage from the drug substance itself.

Indeed, most drugs are not toxic in so-called "normal" dosages. Overdose usually causes damage from consequential processes. Like in the case of a depressant drug slowing one's breathing to the point of asphyxia or the inability of a gag reflex to clear one's throat. Obviously, lack of oxygen causes brain damage.

Some drugs are, however, directly toxic. Alcohol is number one. Not only is it a solvent, attacking the mylar sheath around every neuron, but contains an OH- radical that is so strong it kills living tissue on contact! The burning sensation of a "stiff drink", is actually the tingling death of cells in the throat. A "good drunk" it is estimated, kills about 10,000 brain cells.

Cocaine has similar radicals in it's makeup, be they Chlorine or Hydroxy, responsible for ruptured nazal septums and other tissue damage. Unlike alcohol, which acts globally on the body, cocaine tends to lock itself to neural receptors, effectively blocking the re-uptake of endorphines. Without the natural balance of internal body chemistry, the individual will often harm themselves or others.

Nicotine is carcinogenic. Cancerous growths can impeded other normal body functions. Perhaps the most toxic ingredient in smoking tobacco is carbon monoxide. CO causes brain damage directly by oxygen starvation. Also, nicotine causes blood vessels to constrict acutely, putting up the blood pressure and reducing oxygen flow.

So, yes. Globally, specifically in long-term addiction/abuse, in each drug classs and for each substance, there are damages caused. Primarily because these are non-food subdstances, being introduced to our bodies for some "other" purpose.

Of course in that link you provided damion, one of the studies they constantly referred to was done by Georges Ricaurte. He has been one of leaders in the crusade to show how horrible exstasy is. In a landmark paper submitted to Science, he showed neurotoxicity in monkey's following exstasy use. Consequently, he retracted that paper, as he had mislabeled the drugs. Thus, one of the "backbone" studies showing the dangers of MDMA was thrown out the window.

One mechanism is through apoptosis, or "programmed cell death". Too much neurotransmitter release can also result in death; for example excessive glutamatergic or dopaminerigc stimulation (glutamate neurotoxicity and dopamine toxicity) is another mehcanism. My opinion would be dopamine toxicity can play a large role as it is associated with euphoric feelings, and has been correlated with the addicitice potential of drugs. I've even read that there needs to be a threshold level of dopaminergic excitation in order to receive a "high" from a drug.

There are probably a lot more. I would assume death also occurs through some type of signaling pathway (e.g. apoptosis) or through the production of some type of free radical which is toxic, or a similar mechanism. If I ever get some time I'll search medline and see what I come up with.....

I think' date=' first, we need a working definition of the word "drugs". One of the best I've seen is: "A Drug is any non-food substance that affects body function."

[/font']

The best definition i seen is "Any substance that is taken and has no nutritional value at all" Your definition of saying "any non-food substance" seems wrong...there are many drugs that are foods

BTW i know several old drug addicts quite alot of whom say it just feels like they are tripping permanetley all the time, is this due to what the drugs done to their body or is it because they probably have excess still left in their system? Does any one ever full recover from the affects drugs have? or does it depend on the drug?

Of course it is also possible to introduce a drug that will cause a beneficial effect, and theoretically there doesn't have to be disease present. This seems to be alot more difficult because of the complexity, interelatedness, and the fragile homeostasis of the body.

• 4 weeks later...

Ever since I dove into drugs I'll get tricked when I'm dreaming that I'm high. Plus I can sense times when I feel weird and compare it to when I'm really actually 'weird'. I dont know, I have a better but too insightful way on the world now. I'm no longer a virgin to the way the world works. I understand it better sometimes. But it doesn't last forever.

Yeah, the exact same thing happened to me when I first tried drugs. Before, whenever I'd dream and I realized I was in a dream, that's what I realized. But now, my first instinct is to assume that I must have taken some drug. I wish it would go back to the pre-drug phase so I can try some lucid dreaming.

i dont know too much but i do know a LITTLE about XTC as far as damage and side affects. wev all herd of the swiss cheese brain after prolonged use. We have also all herd of a high fever 106+ F killing brain cells. ofen people will take it and dance in and atmosphere that is hot leading to high body temps killing brain cells. the other side affect is depleting an amino acid (i dont know which one). having it too low caused the "down" people refer to making you feel like !@#$!!! the next morning. this can be countered by drinking a glass of milk. the deaths we all hear about comes to people who allready have heart probs. I dont know how true all of this info is because it was told to me by an E adict. i can say that i saw on the show "60 min" about 3 months ago were they said the FDA was leagalizing it again because its not as dangerous as its said to be. who knows, yes i know there are miss spelled words in here but i got to go buy eggs before the store closed so yeah...

Gib, you are basically asking for herbal hallucinogens.

Psilocybin mushrooms have an effect on the brain by blocking the act of serotonin (indole amine transmitter of nerve impulses) in brain tissue. Good article on the shroom to brain connection is:

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/25115

Marijuana has a chemical called THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), which is already in the brain as a THC receptor for THC and other related chemicals.

If you want an indepth research on THC here is a good website:

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/BRAIN.HTM

I'd type it out for you but I'd like to give credit where credit is due and just simply let you read the original articles I've found. Cheers.

Thanks. Those were good reads. It leaves me with a question though. I've always thought that THC must have some effect on increasing/decreasing the activity of the left and right brains. But the site you gave me says nothing of this. It only says that THC interacts with cerebellum and basal ganglia which are involved with motion and coordination, the hippocampus which is involved with memory, and the limbic system which is involved with emotions. Although these ring true with me based on my subjective experiences with marijuana, it hardly explains the whole experience. I had a theory that THC must supress the activity of the left brain and heighten the activity of the right brain. It makes sense if you think about it. All left brain tasks become exruciatingly hard when your high: reading, writing, speaking, comprehending speach, thinking logically, doing math, using common sense, etc. Meanwhile, all right brain tasks become extremely easy: visualization, creative thought, poetic fluency, wholistic thinking, inerpersonal impressions, metaphorical thinking, intuition, etc. I even used this theory to explain why some insights seemed undeniably true when high but then its flaws or stupidity became more and more appearant as I came down. That is, since the right brain is the more creative thinking brain, it comes up with all our spontaniously conceived insights (eureka moments) and then passes them over to the left brain for assessment. At the end of the day, the left brain has the final word on whether it's right or wrong, logical or illogical, acceptable or unacceptable, or whathaveyou. Since the left brain is seriously handicapped when high, it can't make these assessments, so whatever your right brain comes up with is accepted almost unconditionally.

Basically, what I want to know is, is there any evidence supporting my theory?

Gib' date=' you are basically asking for herbal hallucinogens.

Psilocybin mushrooms have an effect on the brain by blocking the act of serotonin (indole amine transmitter of nerve impulses) in brain tissue. Good article on the shroom to brain connection is:

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/25115

[/quote']

in my opinion the article is pretty bad..

i doubt that what they say there is correct. according to albert hofmann ("my problem child") there is no direct connection between serotonine blocking and the psychedelic effects. he tested with LSD though. but this should be almost the same..

there were tests with LSD deviants that only cause this serotonine blocking. however, there were no remarkable effects noticable. hence, there must be other mechanisms that make LSD/psilocin psychoactive. therefore, the conclusion on this site is wrong

The mysteries of drugs is further aided by the propaganda and floppy research of this last century. Research all over the internet isn't solid and reliable, many different mind sets and points of view.

For personal experience none of the drugs are good. Foreign material being put into your body isn't natural and safe. Even if its just a four hour mind warp. I'll look around for some real brain interaction articles affilliated with drugs but I'm not sure if theres much out there.