Methionine information

navg

Hello everyone,

I am re-crystallizing dl-methionine and I am trying to remove it's smell. I would imagine that it's the sulfur that is causing the smell? Could anybody help me on how I can remove the sulfur from it? Or the odor some other way?

Thank you!

Thanks for your reply, we sell it without smell, it's not used for food or feed, I order on a daily basis what is tested to be dl-methionine crystals with no odor, we've tried many tests with it and there is no odor from it at all!

So instead of ordering all the time, we want to produce our own for more profit. There must be a way to remove the thiol? I don't have a strong background in chem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Why do you want to remove the smell?

If it has a foul smelling odor, then it'l probably be due to some of the demethylated methionine (i.e. the free thiol) as it is the thiol group that is mostly responsible for smells.

Well the thing is, I don't believe there is an impurity in the product, dl-methionine just has a foul odor which I researched online, seems that it is sulfur caused, and it's probably the hydrogen sulfide that's causing the odor. Which is a normal characteristic of dl-m. I want to remove the hydrogen sulfide (if I am correct) this should remove the smell completely. Any idea on how I can target and remove/eliminate hydrogen sulfide from an amino acid?

Thanks again.

How are you making it? IOn my experience, its easier to avoid getting impurities in your sample than trying to get them out again.

Actually it doesn't matter. I just need methionine crystals, so as long as I can have this without the odor it will be fine. We don't care if methionine does not remain. I've tried with leucine as well but we did not have same result in appearance. So essentially if methionine does not remain all the better!

Actually it doesn't matter. I just need methionine crystals, so as long as I can have this without the odor it will be fine. We don't care if methionine does not remain. I've tried with leucine as well but we did not have same result in appearance. So essentially if methionine does not remain all the better!

Also, are you aware of another amino acid that naturally has no odor and almost identically resembles dl-methionine? I just need to crystals to look like dl-m crystals and have no odor.

Thanks again.

If you do that, you won't have methionine anymore. Presumably you bought methionine instead of isoleucine because you actually want methionine, yes?