Human Design

Questions about the Darwinian theory of evolution fill my mind constantly. There is no question in my mind about Creationism -- I think it is utterly wrong. I accept the evolutionary theory, however, I cant help but feel that we are missing some important aspect of it. Whether this aspect is discovered in a year, twenty years, or five hundred years, I believe it is important and it is out there and we are to find it.

My question here is simple. Take a look at da Vinci's human proportions drawing:

Sk03daVinci.jpg

I find it amazing that we are so proportional and how we fit so perfectly inside the circle and the square. Why would this be an advantage to surviving in nature? I would think that maybe our arms would be bigger, or our legs, but not both, and not both exact (our height equals our arm span, right?). It seems too perfect to me. What other animals display a design such as this? How would it have come to be?

What your asking about is the balance between spiritualism and science, the occult and the arcane from which alchemy stems and from that modern science. That's where this vein of knowledge resides, away from the mainstream for good reason. In amongst what you can learn is enough gibberish and half-truths to drive you crazy, should you try and take it seriously.

It's argued that all genuine science is motivated by spiritual ideals, it is not what we see or hear, or even our intelligence, that dictates how we perceive the world; but it is our own moral structure that defines our world around us.

What that means is you can take any set of events however you wish, the human form for instance being a physical representation of evolution, or gods supreme will. It just depends which argument happens to be more persuasive to yourself.

Foucault's Pedulum (by Umberto Eco) is a good book to read if you like those types of oddity's.

Originally posted by Tau

I find it amazing that we are so proportional and how we fit so perfectly inside the circle and the square. Why would this be an advantage to surviving in nature? I would think that maybe our arms would be bigger, or our legs, but not both, and not both exact (our height equals our arm span, right?). It seems too perfect to me. What other animals display a design such as this? How would it have come to be?

I think you're looking at it backwards, a bit like saying "isn't it amazing that I have evolved arms just long enough to reach the handlebars on my bike?"

The human came first, the drawing second. The drawing works because humans evolved that way (and in reality, it wouldn't always work as people don't all have those proportions). Humans could have evolved with arms like gibbons (if that provided a significant evolutionary advantage), in which case the drawing would not exist in that form.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Sayonara³

Humans are actually asymmetric, internally and externally.

This is true.

There is research to show that (with respect to external symmetry, obviously) people are most attracted to those who most closely approach physical symmetry (particularly facial symmetry). It is thought that we have evolved to percieve (on a non-conscious level) symmetry as a sign of health and (evolutionary) successful and viable stock, whereas asymmetry is percieved as a sign of poor genetic stock or an indication of some underlying pathology or defect in the individual.

Having said that, if you have ever seen a photo of somebody you know made symmetrical (i.e. two left sides or two right sides, one inverted and pasted together), one of them will be shockingly hideous and one will be really quite attractive.

Odd that, huh?

I like tall blond women with round faces, round nose, and nice long legs.

I'll have to see some pictures, but I can not think of too many people who are not symmetric. I will have to start looking, maybe I'll find some CRAZY FREAKS.

Any creatwure can fit into a cirecle/square if you set its dimentions right. And so can every object for that matter. Just try it, I think you'll dissapoint yourself with success.

Evolution has nothing to do with truly geometric shapes, in fact evolution doesn't like geometry. To prove this, you've never seen a square animal :P

Originally posted by YoungStrife

Any creatwure can fit into a cirecle/square if you set its dimentions right. And so can every object for that matter. Just try it, I think you'll dissapoint yourself with success.

not in a pretty symmetrical way like vitruvian man, with something like the naval at the dead centre though.

symmetry is extremely important for living organisms...and all organisms have soem sort of symmetry...however, most people are now referring to perfect symmetry...and that belongs in the physics forum probably.

most animals are bilateral symmetric and this means that specific body axis have to be established during the development of an organism. And these exis create further positional information which is then used to create even more positional information etc....

in short...symmetry can create complexity

Originally posted by Sayonara³

Is it just me or is his willy at the center of the square?

aah yes, I was talking about the circle... which wasn't actually leonardos observation.. I forget the name of the guy whose idea he based his drawing on now.

and yes, it is. Old keo always did have a bit of a thing for the male member apparently.

Originally posted by spuriousmonkey

if you think humans are perfectly shaped you should ask the question why we have hemorrhoids

Perhaps, but as my fiend say, :Life has had almost 4 billion years to work on it." Now, what I don't understand is....why Asteroids are in SPACE but Hemorrhoids are not in the Hemisphere??

Just a question.

Bill