The nature of time

Tres Juicy

Is this time???

Past (low entropy) -----X (the present)------ All possible futures (high entropy)

Where time is a wave and the present (point of observation) is where the wave (superposition of all possible futures) collapses.

So in effect the universe is created NOW and flows into the past because the future only exists as a superposition (observing it in the present causes it to collapse into a single state) the present is a static point which time flows through pouring into the past.

Also, when observing any superposition, you are effectively looking into the future (all possible futures of that object)

Just an idea I had, any feedback? feel free to shoot me down with science...

Edited by Tres Juicy

It might be worth mentioning that processes where dS<0 do not require time to commence "backwards".

Some casually refer to entropy as the "arrow of time" and perhaps it is in some sense, for the entire universe anyway.

I believe this might be a dangerous analogy though as it can get you into trouble under some circumstances.

It might be worth mentioning that processes where dS<0 do not require time to commence "backwards".

Some casually refer to entropy as the "arrow of time" and perhaps it is in some sense, for the entire universe anyway.

I believe this might be a dangerous analogy though as it can get you into trouble under some circumstances.

I'm not suggesting that time can flow backwards, quite the opposite in fact. The past is what has been created upon collapse of the superposition, it is what it is. The only way to "go back in time" is to remember it.

Similary it is impossible to travel into the future (any faster than we already are), because the future becomes the present as soon as it is observed.

My question relates to the nature of time, we measure time in movement but time is not movement.

What is it?? It fascinates me...

I just wanted some feedback from you guys as to what/how you believe it to work

How can someone measure the future in the present? Surely then it is no longer the future?

And if time is flowing, what is it flowing relative to?

Thats what I'm getting at, the act of observation collapses the wave in to a single state (Moving from "what could happen" to "what is happening" to "what has happened"). If there was some way to observe the future without collapsing the wave it would be very much like observing a superposition, everything possible happening all at once until it collapses into a definite single event.

As for the question of "flow", The future does not exist but the past does. We have evidence of its existence (everything around us is evidence of previous activity of some sort). So that leads me to speculate that since the future is merely potential and the past is "real" the universe is created in the present.

I hope that makes sense and I welcome any feedback you guys might bring to the conversation.

Thanks,

Alan

I'm not suggesting that time can flow backwards, quite the opposite in fact.

Alan

The time doesn't "flow" forward/ backward; it cannot flow at all; since it is a stable rule that constantly governs material processes.

When the processes are "flow", i.e. material objects change sequently their characteristics; first of all - all/any/ every the objects constantly move (change their position) in the absolute spacetime with speed of light.

More - see, e.g., http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.0003 (click on the link and then on "PDF only" in upper right corner)

Cheers

If you go along with big bang theory,where you start from a singularity,which expands outwards,then there would be an event horizon at outer edge of universe.Inside the event horizon time would be in the past,outside the event horizon would be future time,only the event horizon would be present time.Therefore there could be considered a flow of time across the event horizon.

This implies that we are all living on the event horizon(the surface of the bubble).

If the big bang expanded at the speed of light e.g 300,000,000m/sec the event horizon(e/h) would have no thickness,but if the rate of expansion slowed to 299,999,999 then the (e/h) could expand at rate of 1 metre/sec thickness,producing a 3 dimensional event horizon.

Edited by derek w

• 2 weeks later...

Among a lot of questions about nature of time there is one question that was never asked before. How a clock does interaction with flow of time? I guess nobody is able to answer that question.

"How a clock does interaction with flow of time? I guess nobody is able to answer that question."

I don't think clocks interact with the flow of time, thats like saying that using a ruler changes the length of an object being measured