University prep. - Need Refresher for Math + Science

oldschool29

I'm getting older, and an opportunity to return to school has presented itself. But I'm worried that my math and science skills aren't up to par. I did very well in high school, but it's been a long time. I've forgotten basic things—very basic things; so basic it's embarrassing. After briefly researching these things online, I began picking them up again fairly quickly and it's like I never forgot them at all. But I still need some help.

Can you guys recommend any websites or books that offer a crash course refresher in mathematics? Science? I just need to get to freshman level - I'll have to take precalculus/calculus, as well as biology and chemistry, and I don't want to feel completely out of my element. I suspect that once I begin studying it'll all come back to me. I'm just not entirely sure where I should begin—I took a bad turn in my life when I failed to take college seriously the first time, and now I want to honor my new opportunity and correct my mistakes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR - I'm old(ish) and need you to recommend learning materials. I must (re)learn the prerequisite knowledge for college freshman level pre-calc/calc, biology, and chemistry. Websites or books would be helpful. Got about 5 months.

For physics, as a start I'd recommend hyperphysics...

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

I've always found it gives an understandable level of description for people on the cusp of learning a subject. I hope it helps if you come across any problems we're always happy to help here.

You might also find the "a-level" bitesize useful. A-levels are taken by 16-18year olds in the UK before starting university.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/websites/16/

Congrats on returning to school. I started out on a rough patch also. I returned to school after a lengthy absence with a 2.1 GPA and have significantly brought it back up since then! If your science and mathematics skills have been neglected for years you will be glad that you refreshed before tackling the classes head on! I restarted college with College Algebra at first and then began taking the classes I need toward my associates degree. I'm now going to start working on my bachelors in January at Uni.

Try Khanacademy for math and science, Patrick JMT on youtube for mathematics, ratemyprofessor dot com to find reviews of professors and instructors from students, and look on Amazon for study guides for the areas you will need a refresher in. Amazon has customer reviews and testimonials that are very helpful for the books that are on sale on Amazon.

I wish you the best!

Thank you for the helpful links, everyone. I've also found some PDFs that various professors put online, detailing the prerequisite knowledge for precalc/calc, with some sample problems. Those will be my goal, and so I think I'm set on learning materials for mathematics. Again, thanks so much!

I'm also looking for something similar on the prerequisite knowledge for a university freshman biology or chemistry class. Does anyone have a good idea about where my knowledge in these subjects should be at before I attempt the class? This site that Klaynos linked is pretty good (http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/websites/16/site/science.shtml) If I know the biology/chemistry/physics information in that link, will I be ready to begin college coursework in biology/chemistry? The science videos on Khan academy and academic earth (which are great websites, btw) seem geared toward a college student to begin with. I just want to make sure I have the prerequisite knowledge down first, thanks.

Thank you for the helpful links, everyone. I've also found some PDFs that various professors put online, detailing the prerequisite knowledge for precalc/calc, with some sample problems. Those will be my goal, and so I think I'm set on learning materials for mathematics. Again, thanks so much!

I'm also looking for something similar on the prerequisite knowledge for a university freshman biology or chemistry class. Does anyone have a good idea about where my knowledge in these subjects should be at before I attempt the class? This site that Klaynos linked is pretty good (http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/websites/16/site/science.shtml) If I know the biology/chemistry/physics information in that link, will I be ready to begin college coursework in biology/chemistry? The science videos on Khan academy and academic earth (which are great websites, btw) seem geared toward a college student to begin with. I just want to make sure I have the prerequisite knowledge down first, thanks.

It's possible to jump into beginning level biology classes without much previous knowledge.

It's a lot harder to jump into a microbiology class, though. And jumping into an advanced undergradute class doubly so.

For biology, much of making a decent grade relies on review, practicing recall, and study habits.

It's reasonable to take anybody and put them into a beginning biology class.

You could take a high school freshman and put them into college-level first-year biology course.

Much of the same material is covered but faster, and you need a good, strong work ethic and study habit.

Visualization skills are also useful.

Chemistry requires practice and critical thinking of the problems you're working on.

As does math and physics. So, a large amount of review and practice working with problems needs to be put in.

Physics and higher math requires usage of visualization of physical phenomena explain in mathematical ways.

Not so easy to take a high school sophomore and throw them into a college-level chemistry class or physics class unless the kid is pretty good at that stuff already.

High school is where many people start to think about visualizing mathematical ideas more often, I would think.

Edited by Genecks