Did Apollo really travel to the moon?

Godspower

There can be no doubt on the part of thoughtful, intelligent, reasonable people that Apollo travelled to the moon on more than one occassion. Individuals who think otherwise are either rather young and enjoying the excitement of breaking free from metaphorical parental bonds by challenging authority, or they are suffering mental challenges, or they are in league with the space aliens who command this sector of the galaxy and faked the moon landings.

If you don't believe that people can go to the moon... does that mean you also don't believe that airplanes can go 900 km/h, at 12 km altitude in quite low pressure... and do that for just 50 euro per ticket (if you book at the right time)?

Because, a lunar lander is essentially just a similar pressure chamber, but with bigger and more complicated engines.

i have learnt alot here.i dont have anything 2 contribute but i just want to ask a question.the question seem stupid,did apollo really travelled to the moon?

The obvious answer is - if the US faked the Apollo moon-landings, why didn't the Russians find out about it, and tell the world? It would have been a devastating propaganda coup for them!

Perhaps the Russians did find out - but Nixon threatened a nuclear strike if they blew the gaffe. Or perhaps Nixon said he'd release CIA tape-recordings, of pre-Gargarin cosmonauts, who died in orbit cursing Soviet incompetence.

I do however have a vague feeling, that there's something slightly fishy about Apollo.

The obvious answer is - if the US faked the Apollo moon-landings, why didn't the Russians find out about it, and tell the world? It would have been a devastating propaganda coup for them!

Perhaps the Russians did find out - but Nixon threatened a nuclear strike if they blew the gaffe. Or perhaps Nixon said he'd release CIA tape-recordings, of pre-Gargarin cosmonauts, who died in orbit cursing Soviet incompetence.

I do however have a vague feeling, that there's something slightly fishy about Apollo.

That might be because there was no one on the moon filming them landing on the moon from another vantage point...absolute irrefutable proof is not possible. You have to put ALL the evidence together to confirm it. There was a thread on on this some time ago and when all the evidence that was compiled in thread was taken together the only conclusion that could be drawn was that it DID happen. I was seven when they did it and the atmosphere at the time was momentous...unless you were around at the time of the Apollo landings it's hard to describe what an affront to all those who helped achieve this awesome feat what a suggestion to the contrary is. Every accusation, every point was trivially dismissed in that thread.

Too many people were involved in the project and too many people were watching for a conspiracy to deceive to be successful.

Here's the latest NASA pictures of remnants of those missions that are still evident on the moon:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/06/new_lunar_images/

Thanks StringJunky - those lunar pictures are amazing - the amount of hi-res detail they show! Almost..... too good be true?!

Of course, the LM descent stages, instrument packs etc, could have been deposited by unmanned vehicles. And the wheel-tracks made by a robot "Lunakhod". However, the wiggly dark lines flagged as "footprints" do look fairly convincing!

I was 21 years old when Apollo 11 landed. At that time, it never even occurred to me to question the authenticity of the event. Nor that of the later landings, especially when they had the improved TV cameras. If those live TV pictures were faked, NASA did a ruddy good job! No Pixar in those days.

It's possible that NASA did use some fishy still-photos, such as photos taken during mission simulations on Earth. That point's probably been covered in the earlier threads.

I don't seriously doubt the US astronauts did land on the Moon. What seems to cause some people's doubts, is wondering:

1. Could it really have been done with primitive (from our viewpoint) 1969 technology

2. Why did the landings stop, never to be repeated.

Thanks again for pointing me to the interesting pictures!

Thanks Schroedinger - I enjoyed watching the vid!:D

Edited by Dekan

Discovery Channel's Mythbusters did a show about this one. The conclusion was that it DID happen.

The lighting thing the photos had were explained. Though I really just stood there in agreement not understanding a thing. The waving flag was also credited to the fact that since they were in a vacuum, and therefore no air resistance, even the slightest of force on the pole (e.g. planting it on the ground) made it shake.

You should see it. It was a very fun episode.

I don't seriously doubt the US astronauts did land on the Moon. What seems to cause some people's doubts, is wondering:

One has to wonder if these conspiracy hounds have ever noticed people complaining about the budget or taxes. I mean, seriously?

It's possible that NASA did use some fishy still-photos, such as photos taken during mission simulations on Earth. That point's probably been covered in the earlier threads.

You mean like when FOX News covers a Tea Party rally but uses footage from a much bigger rally? I can see why FOX would need the deception, but why would NASA need to do that if they actually went to the moon? And which photos did you think were "fishy"?

1. Could it really have been done with primitive (from our viewpoint) 1969 technology

It's clear and observable that we built the rockets that went up. If the "primitive" technology could overcome the largest of the hurdles, what parts are left that were beyond our abilities?

The cost of the trips exceeded their value, which, after you count the advancements in technology, was mostly informational and inspirational. As for marketable goods, even if the moon was made of gold, it wouldn't be worth the cost of extraction and transportation back to Earth.

It wasn't a fake, they did go, as these pics recently released to the Register show;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/09/apollo_17/

Finally the truth has come out;

The B-52 in question crash-landed while carrying advance supplies for "Operation Stonebaked", a cunning plan to open a lunar pizza franchise, launched amid fears that the Soviet Union might be moving rapidly towards a boiled potato and vodka kiosk in the Sea of Tranquility, thereby causing an immediate extraterrestrial fast food gap which the United States would be hard pushed to close.

One might normally wonder why pizza and not McDonalds, but a bit of research will show that McDonalds were already well on their way to planetary hegemony at this time. Having secured footholds in most western nations and confident of the collapse of the Soviet Union by 2000, McDonalds thought that their future global domination was assured. This would have led to intense lobbying of Washington by "Big Pizza" in an emergency attempt to curtail McDonalds ability to spread beyond Earth and gain economic domination of the Solar system.

That this scheme was at least partially successful is demonstrated by the complete lack of McDonalds franchises on Luna. Unfortunately these attempts were in part thwarted by "Big Burger" and "Big Wal" as these leaked photos from the Mars Rover show;

mars-3.jpg

mars_walmart.jpg

However it is possible that even these two great consortiums were "pipped at the post" as it were by a newcomer in the race for Galactic Domination;

mars_starbucks.jpg

The truth is out there, you only have to want to believe.

Some more funny mars pics are here.

Edited by JohnB