Homework word problem

Vay

My homework says there are "3/4 as many teenagers as preteens". Does this mean, when x=teenagers and z=preteens, that 3x/4=z or x=3z/4? This is a word problem for linear equations. I have done it both ways, and the book supports the fact that the answer is x=3z/4 when I looked at the answer at the back of my textbook, but I thought it was 3x/4=z according to the word problem and the not intention of the writer, so I wanted to verify with you guys.

I think I am wrong, so how do you analyze this kind of problem involving "as"?

Edited by Vay

Well, if we let X = teenagers and Z = preteens, then since there are 3/4 as many teenagers, there are MORE preteens. So Z = (4/3)X or X = (3/4)Z.

This is backed up because Preteens = (4/3) * Teens, which supports the problem saying that there are more preteens than teens.

How about saying there are twice as many apples as there are oranges, so that for each orange there are 2 apples. Hence, 1 orange = 2 apples and 2 oranges= 4 apples, and so on? Is this the same?

There are twice as many apples as there are oranges, so does this mean for each orange there are 2 apples, so that if apples=x and oranges=y, then y=2x; 2y=4x, and etc? I think the fault might lie in my misinterpretation, or maybe the statement is ambiguous.

Edited by Vay

Let [math]x[/math] represent the number of apples and [math]y[/math] represent the number of oranges.

Then, if there are twice as many apples as oranges, then the number of apples ([math]x[/math]) will be two times the number of oranges ([math]y[/math]). Expressed as an equation, this means [math]x = 2y[/math].

Never mind, I am not thinking straight after doing my math homework for 6 hours straight, I will revisit this tomorrow. I get it when you explain it, I just have to repeat it in my head over and over again...

Edited by Vay