Vacuum distillation setup

boris_73

vacuum distilliation will allow for a higher purity product. This is safer if you want to consume it or use it something that will be used to make a consumable. ie/ remove toxic solvents

Its safer because you can do a distillation without heat.

It can be used to isolate compounds that are in a mixture of compounds with similar boiling points. ie/ biological compounds

http://www.epa.gov/nerlesd1/chemistry/vacuum/default.htm

All this is easily found by searching the internet...jsatan.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Distillation%20Processes

Boris, I'd check http://www.ebay.com. Or consider 'borrowing' one from a school lab or something and cleaning it well.

@(*disco*)

If you are trying to say that I should go do a search for something that is not for me then go rethink your actions. I was only saying what I know, why do some people have to be so negative or condescending all the time.

@(*disco*)

If you are trying to say that I should go do a search for something that is not for me then go rethink your actions. I was only saying what I know' date=' why do some people have to be so negative or condescending all the time.[/quote']

and posting something totally useless, unreadable and annoying....has a point?

seems like time wasting to me.

and posting something totally useless' date=' unreadable and annoying....has a point?

seems like time wasting to me.[/quote']

And did that have a point?

There is a thing called chatting, which me and boris do.

If you feel the need to go and let eveyone know about pointless post there is a lot here if you want to look, in some ways it may seem pointless to you but not to all.

I'm making my own vacuum pump using a few simple items.

a syringe and 2 one way valves, the syringe will hold out easy, as it got warm water to boil in side by blocking it and pulling (its 100ml, big).

I'll let you know how it goes.

i have found the perfect devise for a vacum it was in my garage, i dont know what you call it but the whole idea of it is, you put some weedkiller in it you pump a handle which cause's a vacum and that helps spray out the weedkiller, its amazing what you can find in you garage, ect :D

i have found the perfect devise for a vacum it was in my garage, i dont know what you call it but the whole idea of it is, you put some weedkiller in it you pump a handle which cause's a vacum and that helps spray out the weedkiller, its amazing what you can find in you garage, ect :D

Sorry but I think the spray you are talking about uses positive presure. A straw goes into the liquid and has a valve in it with the nozzle attached. The pump forces air into the bottle above the liquid which puts the liquid at higher pressure than the air outside the nozzle so when the valve opens it pushes its way up the straw and out through the nozzle. You may like to try the inflatable pumps that are around as most of them suck to deflate as well. You could try a small compressor but attach the hose to the inlet. Hope this helps.

I don't know what kind of vacum you are wanting to generate.

• 4 months later...

I remember a water driven vacuum pump from my earliest chemistry classes.

It involved a water inlet, a water and air outlet - and a vacuum err... outlet?

It DID create a vacuum at the side xxxlet, so it must have been a vacuum outlet.

Mightn't something like that be constructed from pipes and fittings?

Hi.

A refrigerator compressor makes the best of all easy to get vacuum pumps. It really sucks ! :)

You will be able to distill at room temperature.

Many are discarded in good working condition. Get one, the size of choice, it is simple to plug and runs nearly silent and u$ually free. Keep its rubber mounts.

Miguel

• 3 years later...

No matter if you decrease the pressure in the system even a little bit, it will depress the boiling point of the substance to be distilled. It will decrease the vapor pressure above the liquid, so even a small change in vapor pressure (small being at least 5 kPa) will help it to boil easier

you can make your own vaccum pumps below using just sheer force of you pulling something away from a container.

ex

.........A..........C

.........|..........|

|..................................|

|..............B..................|

|_____________________|

ignore the periods

A is a syringe with a ball check valve on it to let only air out of the device

C is an outlet tube that is connected to your set-up

and B is a rigid container

you can just keep filling up your syringe, and actually I made one once that got down to pretty low (as evidenced by the pain which I felt on my fingertip that I was using to plug the outlet tube.... not smart, but I didn't have any pressure gague at the time....stupid, I know, but all's ok that ends pretty good...)

Your best bet is still a refrigerator compressor I would think, although you can buy vacuum pumps online

Just remember, you have to keep your distillate cold enough so that you don't have nitric acid gas going through your pump.... this is NOT good. Have a great condenser, and a freezing ice bath underneath you collecting flask, and of course, use standard glass tapered joints

Actually, an allihn condenser is a little bit better I think because if you get some of the vapor to condense then other vapor can condense on that liquid sitting in your condenser

And actually, liebig condensers are the cheapest and least helpful condensers there are. Graham condensers are the very best because they provide max surface area

Something like this is what would be your best option for a condenser

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=140263399377

assuming you don't have other jointed glassware