Heterosexual Spread of AIDS

blike

I was talking to a friend earlier who was doing a research paper on AIDS. He mentioned that it is arguable that HIV can infect males through vaginal intercourse. I thought vaginal intercourse was just as high of a risk factor as any other. I looked at some papers on the internet and some people don't even think it can spread in this manner. Though there are a number of heterosexual cases each year, some of these involve anal sex, which is a high risk. Some argue that the remaining cases are men who don't want to admit homosexual intercourse.

Is there any documented proof that an HIV positive woman can infect a male? I came up with very little on my search. Unfortunatly, all cases rely on patient honesty when trying to asses the etiology of the disease.

Just look at Africa. They believe having sex with a virgin cures it. No wonder two thirds of some areas have it (obviously if the percentage is above 50, some females have it). Furthermore, haven't you ever heard of pregnant women concerned about passing it to their kids? Anyone who thinks aids only affects homosexuals is wrong and ignorant.

Just look at Africa. They believe having sex with a virgin cures it. No wonder two thirds of some areas have it (obviously if the percentage is above 50, some females have it).

There was a study published recently in the International Journal of STD and AIDS that concludes the numbers of heterosexual cases of AIDS in africa are grossly overstated, and that the transmission is occuring primarily through unsafe medical practice.

Furthermore, haven't you ever heard of pregnant women concerned about passing it to their kids?

Yes? But this has to do with what?

Anyone who thinks aids only affects homosexuals is wrong and ignorant.

I said through vaginal intercourse..

Originally posted by blike

I was talking to a friend earlier who was doing a research paper on AIDS. He mentioned that it is arguable that HIV can infect males through vaginal intercourse. I thought vaginal intercourse was just as high of a risk factor as any other. I looked at some papers on the internet and some people don't even think it can spread in this manner. Though there are a number of heterosexual cases each year, some of these involve anal sex, which is a high risk. Some argue that the remaining cases are men who don't want to admit homosexual intercourse.Is there any documented proof that an HIV positive woman can infect a male? I came up with very little on my search. Unfortunatly, all cases rely on patient honesty when trying to asses the etiology of the disease.

Yep, there is always going to be a problem when the attempt to determine aetiologal factors of an epidemic is dependent to any degree on self-report, as nobody wants to 'take the blame'.

However, in answer to your question, we need to be clear on the difference between what is possible and what is probable. It is most certainly possible for males to become infected through vaginal intercourse. However a male becoming infected during vaginal intercourse with an infected female is much less probable than a female becoming infected through vaginal intercourse with an infected male.

This has to do with a number of factors, e.g. the difference in the types of skin cells involved. The penis is quite well protected with more or less normal skin, whilst the delicate (flattened epithelial) cells of the vaginal lining, rectal lining and buccal membranes are more prone to lesioning and HIV invasion.

Another factor is viral count. Semen from an infected male contains a much higher viral count than vaginal secretions of an infected female. Whilst it may be argued that it only takes one virus to infect a body, this is misleading. Hepatitis-B for example, is around 300 times more contractable than HIV. It takes exposure to significantly fewer viral particles to become infected with Hep-B than HIV.

In short, an infected male having vaginal or anal sex will innoculate his partner with large numbers of virus directly into regions lined with more susceptible and more easily damaged cells (anal sex frequently results in lesions to the anal lining, and these lesions - however small - significantly increase the risk of infection as they allow the virus direct access to the bloodstream.

An infected female having vaginal sex will expose her partner to lower numbers of viral particles, and the male penis is better protected overall. Thus, the probability of a male contracting HIV from an infected female is much lower than a female (or 'passive' male partner) of an infected male becoming infected, but it is by no means impossible. All it takes is one little lesion; abrasion of a few cells and the virus has a way in.

yes. its like any other std. if you blow ur load in her throat, its gonna contain hiv. then if her body doesn't kill it off, shell get it :/. btw, vaginal is less likly to spread it because the vagina kills off alot of stuff down there. the butthole doesnt, so therefore its more probable to get it anally then vaginally.

(dont know if you already said it)

A very active male who has intercourse multiple times with a woman on a good night or long weekend sometimes has tears or abrasions cus willy wears out. these would let the virus in easily. I don't know if that happens with anal sex more frequently?

Just aman

Originally posted by Sayonara³

I think the question was "Which is more probable, active partner in male-male couple infected or active partner in male-female couple infected?"

All other thing being equal. the active partner in male female couple has the higher probability as the vaginal secretions of an HIV infected female do contain the virus, whereas there are no anal secretions to speak of. However, the probability is still very low. Having said that, all other things are very rarely equal, and unprotected anal sex is more likely to result in lesioning of both the rectum and penis which increases the risk of transmission considerably. So in reality I would have to say the active partner in male-male couples is at greater risk.

So is HIV transmissable to a female through oral intercourse with a male (assuming no open wounds)?

Yes. The vagina has a number of defensive strategies against infection. The secretions are acidic and the environment is quite hostile, even to sperm. The buccal membranes of the mouth, whilst lined by the same kind of tissue, do not have such defences. Whilst saliva has certain antibiotic properties, HIV being a virus, is unaffected by it. Both buccal and vaginal secretions contain the secretory immunoglobulin Ig-A but, as the spread of the disease would suggest, this is not a particularly robust defence against the HIV virus.

• 6 months later...
blike said in post #4 :

There was a study published recently in the International Journal of STD and AIDS that concludes the numbers of heterosexual cases of AIDS in africa are grossly overstated, and that the transmission is occuring primarily through unsafe medical practice.

This paper (by Gisselquist et al) said the number of heterosexual cases might be overstated. I think a figure of 40/50% was given for possible heterosexual transmissions, even which if true accounts for millions of cases.

The gisselquist paper was based on epidemiology studies published up to about 1998 and included no newer studies. WHO have also rejected its suggestion, stating unequivocally that the majority of cases in africa are heterosexual.