Strange self-induced feeling

Ahmad Baghaffar

• 1 month later...

Alright, so I've done some research on this topic (I've had this sensation for quite some time now, being able to trigger it at will), and the sensation is called ASMR . 

"ASMR is described by some of those susceptible to it as "akin to a mild electrical current...or the carbonated bubbles in a glass of champagne".[8] The tingling sensation on the skin in general, called paresthesia, is referred to by ASMR enthusiasts as "tingles" when experienced along the scalp, neck, and back.[15][16] It has been described as "a static tingling sensation originating from the back of the head, then propagating to the neck, shoulder, arm, spine, and legs, which makes people feel relaxed and alert".[5]  

So all this 'superpower' that you guys have been talking about really is, is a relaxing sensation that some people just naturally have, and others really want (just look at the insane mass of people watching all the 'ASMR' videos on youtube).

Yeah, nothing too extraordinary.

wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASMR

Edited by reio2k
wiki-link

20 hours ago, reio2k said:

Alright, so I've done some research on this topic (I've had this sensation for quite some time now, being able to trigger it at will), and the sensation is called ASMR . 

"ASMR is described by some of those susceptible to it as "akin to a mild electrical current...or the carbonated bubbles in a glass of champagne".[8] The tingling sensation on the skin in general, called paresthesia, is referred to by ASMR enthusiasts as "tingles" when experienced along the scalp, neck, and back.[15][16] It has been described as "a static tingling sensation originating from the back of the head, then propagating to the neck, shoulder, arm, spine, and legs, which makes people feel relaxed and alert".[5]  

So all this 'superpower' that you guys have been talking about really is, is a relaxing sensation that some people just naturally have, and others really want (just look at the insane mass of people watching all the 'ASMR' videos on youtube).

Yeah, nothing too extraordinary.

wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASMR

I look forward to your 2nd post.

• 1 month later...

I can do this too, and I'm interested in trying to learn more about the phenomenon from a practical/scientific perspective. I do not experience goosebumps, nor temperature changes, though many of the other descriptions match my experience. I'd describe it as akin to an adrenaline rush without negative emotional associations like fear, though I've never had an adrenaline rush that occupied my whole body like this sensation does. Mine is activated immediately behind my sternum, then radiates to my extremities. If I max it out, minor tremors can occur.

After reading through the thread, I will try testing the SNS theory by having my partner observe my pupils for dilation etc. I've also been experimenting with activating the sensation at less than 100%, then "pulsing" it so that it never gets so intense that I feel I must stop before I blow a gasket. Initial results indicate that this method causes the euphoric feeling to persist for some minutes, even after I'm done activating the sensation. It may have also given me a bit of a headache.

I know this is a science forum, and I'll do my best to respect that. I'm so thrilled to find a group of people that share my experience, so please be gentle even if the topic feels like a strange fit for this context. If we can figure out how to control this sensation, it could really help our community out! I'll do some tests then report back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, to make a long story short I can induce this sensation within my body as well as direct it to different parts of my body. The way I would describe it would be liken to electricity, not in the fashion of being electrocuted but rather overestimulated, like the feeling youd get if u were being tickled to death but without the tickle part (if that makes any sense). I can induce the sensation in 0 secs flat and can control how intense the sensation is (when inducing slightly I get a light asmr buzzing but as I intensify it turns more into electic like pressure that can cause me to jerk if I completly relax myself without applying any form of motor control ). When i use it to the max my heart rate increases, my pupils enlarge, I heat up and sweat, and goosebumps form. Immediately after prolonged use or maxing out I feel somewhat fatigued and altered (like taking a hit of pure air) for only seconds and it feels like I've worked something out in the back of my brain. I would really appreciate some feedback on this one. Does anybody know what this is? Is it an ability or something? Psycho-physical interactions maybe? Anyway thanks guys 

Your higher critical functions can affect your more autonomous functions. Think of a fear or attractive loved one and your heart accelerates. Think of a gentle breeze or waves at the beach and your heart and related functions slow. 

I may not fully comprehend what you’re describing, but my first instinct is that this is not only common, but expected. Our thoughts and breathing have a tremendous impact on our physiology. It’s at the heart of meditation.

Some of what happens within us occurs even absent executive control or higher critical intervention, but this does not mean these same processes cannot be influenced or affected or overridden by those higher processes. 

For example, you can consciously decide to hold your breath and stop breathing... but only to a point. Eventually, the more archaic reptilian parts of your brain will say, “hey idiot, stop that” and will take over so these processes persist even if you pass out. 

Honestly, this just sounds like you’re focusing on some things and noticing physiologist changes while you do that. Not really a big deal unless I’m totally missing what you’re trying to describe. 

I wouldn't say totally off ,where we differ is that what I'm talking about feels like a normal body function (no different than getting up or any other voluntary bodily function we have-essentially things that cause ATP exersion) your speaking about thoughts which in turn cause emotions/sensations. To me the big deal is the self induced part, meaning not focusing on a thought but rather turning it on and off simply by "willing it". For example if we were in a face to face conversation, while we're speaking, I would be able to flex it on and off over and over again or hold it sustained until I get bored or exhausted . 

My own experience says my memories and imagination can evoke emotions and my emotions can evoke physiological reactions. I can trigger the reaction by choosing to remember something. Do that enough and I expect my brain will know where I am going with that and skip directly to it. I have no doubt people can trigger ASMR and other bodily responses at will - if they want to train themselves to it. Biofeedback comes to mind and I think Mindfulness type meditations can be healthy and beneficial - something I practice off and on. Perhaps for haptics - ie interfacing with our tech?

Edited by Ken Fabian

Hello! I’m 33 and have been trying to find the right words to be able to successfully google this powerful, voluntary sensation.  This thread is the only thing on the internet that describes exactly what I’ve been trying to find answers to. 

i can to do exactly what the original post describes. However, this post taught me that the feeling can be manifested into physical warmth and directed to a specific part of the body... which I can also validate.

I know the original enquiry was posted years ago and I’m wondering if there are any updates or recent findings?  I grew up thinking it was something everyone could do and just never talked about but as an adult I sense it could be something more specific to fewer people. Also realizing there is zero information about it online makes me hungrier for an explanation. 

Edited by HunterCordell

11 hours ago, HunterCordell said:

i can to do exactly what the original post describes. However, this post taught me that the feeling can be manifested into physical warmth and directed to a specific part of the body... which I can also validate

Isn't this just focusing your attention on what you are feeling in a specific part of your body though? Couple that with the brilliant capacity of the human brain to imagine things and self hypnotise itself and you can feel all sorts of things.  For example, if I concentrate on my toe I can feel a sensation in that...  if I focus on my body and imagine a 'chi' like energy...  I can feel a warmth and sensation...  I can move it around too... like in tai chi....  this doesn't mean I have chi... it just means I can focus my perception upon specific places in my body.  The brain and body ate extremely complex.

Edited by DrP

On 7/13/2020 at 3:50 PM, DrP said:

Isn't this just focusing your attention on what you are feeling in a specific part of your body though?

No, in the situation you posed involving your toe; instead of simply observing the sensation in it, you would activly be sending out some kind of mental force (for lack of a better term) in which the body interprets as the electric like/self induced sensation we keep talking about ( keep in mind this thing requires no focus meaning i think toe, turn the sensation on, and thats it, no true focus required just a direction.)

it just means I can focus my perception upon specific places in my body.

It's alittle more than that. In addition to this statement should be " .....my body as well as create some kind of neural impulse within that so said percevied body part using some kind of motor function that derives from the mind that causes physiological changes such as sweeting, enlarged pupils , increased heart rate, etc.

21 hours ago, imtss said:

It's alittle more than that. In addition to this statement should be " .....my body as well as create some kind of neural impulse within that so said percevied body part using some kind of motor function that derives from the mind that causes physiological changes such as sweeting, enlarged pupils , increased heart rate, etc.

That's just how the body works. It reacts to changes in your psychological state. You are just 'feeling'. Most people can do it.  I read an article recently that mentioned that some people can reach orgasm just from thinking. The connection between body and mind is strong and complex. It's not some magical power.

A question for those who know exactly what we are talking about and still looking for answers:

I’ve read through the entire thread on this topic and thinking this not the right subject matter for this site. I don’t think we are going to get answers here. 
If anyone is interested in moving this topic to a more receptive community please respond to this by saying “yes.” 
If I find another resource out there on the internet I can connect anyone still searching for answers : ) 

and if anyone else find a different resource please link in reply. 

1 hour ago, HunterCordell said:

A question for those who know exactly what we are talking about and still looking for answers:

I’ve read through the entire thread on this topic and thinking this not the right subject matter for this site. I don’t think we are going to get answers here. 
If anyone is interested in moving this topic to a more receptive community please respond to this by saying “yes.” 
If I find another resource out there on the internet I can connect anyone still searching for answers : ) 

Moving forward I am going to post on other forums around the internet to see what feels like a match. I ask that you patient and give this some time for productive conversations to develop. 
I will make note of all who reply “yes” and let you know if anything gains traction in a helpful way. 

and if anyone else finds a different resource please message me w links. 

before this thread I thought this was a common biological function that I just didn’t know the name of.  It feels as easy to do as moving a finger or blinking, however I’ve never heard anyone in my life talk about it. So today I asked some close friends who I trust and they have confirmed this is not a common occurrence which makes me more curious so I’m willing to do the footwork. 

On 7/14/2020 at 9:21 PM, DrP said:

That's just how the body works. It reacts to changes in your psychological state. You are just 'feeling'. Most people can do it.  I read an article recently that mentioned that some people can reach orgasm just from thinking. The connection between body and mind is strong and complex. It's not some magical power.

???not to be rude in any form or fashion but I never said anything about magic( sorry, it's just,I've been to so many forums ,honestly looking for an answer but instead received this response or dismissive things along the line of this ). Can you induce the sensation that were talking about ?;(even as I'm typing this I'm turning it on and off).Your saying most people can do it (which is true if people were more "activly inward looking (applied introverted sensing)" )but how is that when research has shown that only a small portion of the population can induce ASMR (or pilioerection to be scientifically correct) without a stimulus and this subject being somewhere above that; instead of pleasurable tingles that causes goosebumps  (which people who are able to do this can enact if they turn it on lightly) these individuals recieve neural impulses?/excited neurons?/electric-like sensation (the self induced sensation). Last thing, the psychological states. I agree. Psychological states do have an effect on the body which every individual can feel; wether thats bored, sleepy, mad, sad , analytical , off in a day dream, even sleep, etc. However, in each of these state's the "Self Induced Sensation" can still be deployed regardless of what state were in and if anything, the sensation becomes more intense than usual and can still be localized. Just want to say again, my intentions are not to be rude or mean (we have enough of that in our daily lives lol ) i just...... Would like a true, defined , concrete answer after all these years of being on the hunt.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 3:53 AM, imtss said:

Would like a true, defined , concrete answer after all these years of being on the hunt.

I don't think there is one as far as I'm aware. Not a scientifically studied one anyway.

Edited by DrP

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

I think I found out something interesting.

I am having sleep paralysis on a regular basis since I was 12 (I am 25 now); at least 1 or 2 nights a month; mostly on days that I am highly anxious or having lack of sleep. I experience short terms of paralysis and get back to normal in 1-1.5 minutes. An unpleasent disorder caused by my brain but I am quite calm and ok with it after all these years.

Last week I realized that I am having that electrical feeling during the sleep paralysis just as I feel when I trigger the "thing" that we are discussing under this subject. 

I  think, this is something closely related with a disfunction that my brain has. Maybe a neurodegenerative disorder. 

Do you experience sleep paralysis too, oftenly (at least once in a month)?