Strange self-induced feeling

Ahmad Baghaffar

I know I’m late on this. I can’t remeber how old I was when I first discovered that I can do this; I don’t know what it is or what I’m doing.

I’m able to induce some sort of strange feeling  in the core. Kind of like.. having butterflies? The longer I force it my body sometimes jerks and/shivers and I have to catch my breath

Im 23 year old male, and I had the same feeling/ability since I was a kid, I can relate to most of the feelings described in this thread, for me its feels like clenching a muscle in the base of the spine I can also deel it in the back of my head, it gets pretty uncomfortable the longer I hold it. The most noticeable feeling after doing it multiple times in a row is body heat I feel warmer to the point where I sometimes start sweating but just a little bit. Im actually interested if females do expirience the same feeling or its exclusive to males. I juste signed up in this forum, I wish you all the happiness in the world.

!

Moderator Note

There have been a lot of assertions that the phenomenon described in this thread is somewhat unusual. As they all have been very speculative the thread is moved. Going forward I request that folks put a bit more thought and reading into it and contrast it with related effects, e.g. due to meditation/yoga/exercise/whatnot before claiming strange superpowers. See the sticky in the thread for general guidelines.

I knew there had to be others with the same ????

Been able to do this for 25+ yrs.  The search for this online has been exhausting.  I'm glad you guys made the effort to be found.

For me, it's nothing like tingling goose bumps and hair standing up.  

As a kid I named it "Negative motion".  Whatever that meant to me then!  I guess because it feels like expending energy yet remaining still.

I can induce it at will.

Approximately 0.1 sec ramping from min. to max 'amplitude".  Can increase it very slowly as well.

At termination the sensation dissipates in approximately 1-2 sec. 

I can maintain it, seemingly, indefinitely at less than max.  Quite mentally tiring at max.

Mentally exhausting in proportion to duration and/or magnitude.

Heart rate increases slightly and briefly at start but returns to normal when reach "constant amplitude".

Initial surge of the sensation, then the sensation feels like a current maintained by voltage.

Can select individual arms/legs.  Upper or lower torso or both, front or back.  Head.  

Can smoothly and slowly transition to different areas or quickly switch.

If I don't focus consistently some muscle twitching occurs.

Can modulate frequency and or amplitude.

Damn.  All this and it's probably useless.

Would like to see if an EKG might detect it.  Lie detector?  Current or induced electro-magnetic field?

I wonder if the sensation is actually peripheral.  Maybe it's at the brain/nerves interface or deeper in the brain.

• 1 month later...

Same thing here. Are there any other threads or info on this sensation or is this the only one? Seems like a surge in interest on this topic over the last year.

Edited by Peekay

The strange feeling I get is generated by the number of first time posters in this thread who have joined simply to add legitimacy to the other first time posters. It's amazing that this many people have a strange self-induced feeling that drew them to this site for some reason.

6 hours ago, zapatos said:

The strange feeling I get is generated by the number of first time posters in this thread who have joined simply to add legitimacy to the other first time posters. It's amazing that this many people have a strange self-induced feeling that drew them to this site for some reason.

There's nowt as strange as folk. :)

• 1 month later...

Wow i know this,been wondering what it is..i had to sign up to reply.been looking for explanation to this like forever! So the weird thing or rather strange is that i knew about this feeling in a dream about 10 years ago (am 25) and i was evading a creature so my point of escape was through a wall a big wall so i wasnt left with any option all i had to do was crash into the wall and as i was doing that i naturally (in the dream state) felt the tingling feeling sort of came from inside my rib cage and felt abit weird but managed to somehow bypass the wall without crashing it into pieces...when i walk up i was like 'huh!' How was that possible...but dint mind much on that so after a couple days i had another dream and that time i think i was having a lucid dream because i could recall bypassing a wall from the other dream while in this dream (dont know how this is possible) then i tried to go through a wall and very VERY surprisingly i generated the feeling as i was walking through the wall and succeeded.i felt so amazed:P.but the shocking thing is that when i tried to walk through the wall again without making the feeling i could not pass it!!.so guys when i walk up i dint know how i did it but i was able to generate the feeling while awake i was so excited and thought i cud pass through the wall while i generated the feeling but to my disappointment i it failed.i actually thought i cud pass the wall because that feeling was so strange..(dummy me :D)...so from that day i was able to do it upto now and once tried to explain to someone and all cud get was a sloppy stare to my face.ooh and i was forgetting,upto to this day i am able  to do it almost in any lucid dream that i get and i recall one time generating the feel with an intention to go invisible to people in the dream and it worked!.....and another thing i get this feeling when i get sleep paralysis,it feels negative than when i do it intentionally  i dont know why.this feeling is realy hard to explain to someone but i just think the best way is to tell someone to fake being afraid assuming u have just seen something straight  from your worst nightmare....i think its a natural way the brain react to things cause i learnt it in a DREAM and i never knew this before until i dreamt  and naturally generated  the feeling without thinking to pass that wall (magically)...its amazing how God made us isn't it?

On 5/3/2019 at 5:45 AM, zapatos said:

And by way of proof

3 hours ago, Cullen J said:

Wow i know this,been wondering what it is..i had to sign up to reply.been looking for explanation to this like forever! So the weird thing or rather strange is that i knew about this feeling in a dream about 10 years ago (am 25) and i was evading a creature so my point of escape was through a wall a big wall so i wasnt left with any option all i had to do was crash into the wall and as i was doing that i naturally (in the dream state) felt the tingling feeling sort of came from inside my rib cage and felt abit weird but managed to somehow bypass the wall without crashing it into pieces...when i walk up i was like 'huh!' How was that possible...but dint mind much on that so after a couple days i had another dream and that time i think i was having a lucid dream because i could recall bypassing a wall from the other dream while in this dream (dont know how this is possible) then i tried to go through a wall and very VERY surprisingly i generated the feeling as i was walking through the wall and succeeded.i felt so amazed:P.but the shocking thing is that when i tried to walk through the wall again without making the feeling i could not pass it!!.so guys when i walk up i dint know how i did it but i was able to generate the feeling while awake i was so excited and thought i cud pass through the wall while i generated the feeling but to my disappointment i it failed.i actually thought i cud pass the wall because that feeling was so strange..(dummy me :D)...so from that day i was able to do it upto now and once tried to explain to someone and all cud get was a sloppy stare to my face.ooh and i was forgetting,upto to this day i am able  to do it almost in any lucid dream that i get and i recall one time generating the feel with an intention to go invisible to people in the dream and it worked!.....and another thing i get this feeling when i get sleep paralysis,it feels negative than when i do it intentionally  i dont know why.this feeling is realy hard to explain to someone but i just think the best way is to tell someone to fake being afraid assuming u have just seen something straight  from your worst nightmare....i think its a natural way the brain react to things cause i learnt it in a DREAM and i never knew this before until i dreamt  and naturally generated  the feeling without thinking to pass that wall (magically)...its amazing how God made us isn't it?

Maybe there's a PhD opportunity zap.

I've just signed up so I can join in and say I know EXACTLY what you guys are on about. I'm nearly 40 and I've done this all my life. I just Googled "how do I make my stomach and legs feel funny with my mind!?" and couldn't believe it actually worked and lead me here! :-D

I have been able to do this as long as I can remember. I would describe it as the feeling you get falling from a roller coaster in your stomach or legs except I can make it more or less intense and hold as long as I want and when its intense its like the roaster coaster X 10. The other thing that happens to me is that if something is about to touch my skin, especially right between my eyes and lower forehead, the skin feels very very tingly and when I perceive the object to almost be touching it will get intensely tingly and I can also control that feeling too but harder to get unless I stick something near my forehead -- not as easy as the legs.

From reading some of the posts here, it seems this isn't all that uncommon. But I have always wondered if this is some sort of super power and how to or if it is possible to harness it in some positive way for my life. So far I just use it to feel like I'm on a roller coaster ride when I am bored sitting on my couch. 

What do people do with this skill?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 4:17 PM, dimreepr said:

Join a science forum and post once...

Hi, it is my second post under that topic so I believe my powers are enhanced!

Aside from the joke. The reason I ended up here is that I want to find someone who has the same feeling and actually went for a medical test to get some scientific results. 

The thing I can add is that after I tried to hold this feeling for 1+ minutes and I ended up with some results. I shall not share the results now because I want everyone to try their maximum and share their experience after it. If I share what I had; it can affect you psychologically. 

I only will share that mine was unpleasant. 

I really want someone to come up with a scientific answer. 

Edited by Sarjax

A scientific  fact without reliable scientific data good luck. Much of what is described depends on the individual feelings. The descriptive are primarily interpretations so too are the descriptive. 

Edited by Mordred

They can more readily follow conjecture and verbal word play than mathematics or proper scientific analysis. Over 3 decades experience to see that habit lmao

Edited by Mordred

8 minutes ago, Strange said:

A scientific answer to what?

Why so many people are attracted to post to idiotic threads like this one?

Dear forum member, I am using this topic to find someone with the same thing and with more answers. Even someone who can tell me where to go to have a test this thing is welcomed.

Yet, offensive approaches like yours is not helping at all. Every scientific exploration starts with curiosity and you are nothing but an obstacle with that mean attitude. No one is claiming a supernatural power or something. We are just trying to figure it out by sharing experiences. 

Have a great day. 

In this case start with a large body survey questions. Design the question are with neurological processes in mind.

Ie tingling sensations is a sign of oxygen deprivation, look into other side effects that can be induced due to reduced oxygen levels to vital organs such as the brain. Figure out which feelings can be eliminated due to oxygen deprivation.

How is that for a start? 

Instead of immediately jumping into supernatural phenomena look into side effects such as the one mentioned above.

(For the record I have practiced meditation for several decades. I can induce a wide range of feelings throughout my body. At one time I could slow my heart beat to 10 per minute) Not once did I attribute any feelings to a supernatural reason.

Meditation has stress management health benefits. However one should never confuse self induced feelings with supernatural causes. The mind is cabaple of many different interpretations of signal responses from neurons.

Lol side note it drives my wife crazy that no matter how many mosquitos bite me I don't itch. (I taught myself to ignore that sensation)

Edited by Mordred

• 2 months later...
On 3/5/2019 at 9:47 AM, iNow said:

It amazes me how many people think this entirely natural phenomenon is somehow strange. All of y’all are normal. Chillax. 

Lots more attention than I ever thought possible when I posted this years ago!  Anyway loads of people kept veering towards that but I'm certainly not convinced by any of it.  Just genuinely wondering what it was I was doing.

On 6/14/2019 at 4:17 PM, dimreepr said:

Join a science forum and post once...

Sadly I was looking for a little insight not a whole bunch of "mee too"s 😂

On 7/29/2019 at 1:24 AM, Strange said:

A scientific answer to what?

Why so many people are attracted to post to idiotic threads like this one?

So you wasted a precious portion of your day to post on a thread you found idiotic?  Speaks volumes of your character.

On 7/29/2019 at 2:09 AM, Mordred said:

In this case start with a large body survey questions. Design the question are with neurological processes in mind.

Ie tingling sensations is a sign of oxygen deprivation, look into other side effects that can be induced due to reduced oxygen levels to vital organs such as the brain. Figure out which feelings can be eliminated due to oxygen deprivation.

How is that for a start? 

Instead of immediately jumping into supernatural phenomena look into side effects such as the one mentioned above.

(For the record I have practiced meditation for several decades. I can induce a wide range of feelings throughout my body. At one time I could slow my heart beat to 10 per minute) Not once did I attribute any feelings to a supernatural reason.

Meditation has stress management health benefits. However one should never confuse self induced feelings with supernatural causes. The mind is cabaple of many different interpretations of signal responses from neurons.

Lol side note it drives my wife crazy that no matter how many mosquitos bite me I don't itch. (I taught myself to ignore that sensation)

Just to clarify I am not insinuating any supernatural phenomena, you can read that in my original post, was looking for some general direction to assist in my search of what it is (lost interest ages ago until I was cleaning my e-mail inbox and saw notifications).

Jesus though I thought my post would receive ano comments let alone 2 pages worth 😂

• 2 weeks later...