Robots

michel123456

• 3 weeks later...

Funny, favorite topic of mine, plus I was just going to post big dog, myself. I never got over that thing, it's freaky, in this video, 'he' compensates for it if you kick him!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5349770802105160028

That video still creeps me out, lol. I have another crazy one, waaitforit...well, if I can find it...

Here it is, you ready??.

Amphibeous snakebot-- ok, some of you have probably already seen it but don't spoil it for me. :)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=139523333240485714

Whoa, PETMAN is crazy!

Last one, check her out...

http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/rent-a-robot-actroid-der2-fembot-3500-for-5-days

Hey, mich, those were cool posts, fun playing bots, good post.--Tomorrow I'll try to find the miniscule fly I saw a long time ago, so neat!

• 2 weeks later...

From another thread thanks to member nec209.

Put it here for anthology.

squid robot

---------------------

And this robot with bones

So that robot's gonna be like Mega Man? Remember, Mega Man is a famous science fiction hero who only LOOKS human, but he's a robot. The construction methods for the robot with bones may have been what Dr. Light used to build his own creations.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the latest petman I can't stop thinking that we will see humanoid robots in our streets within 10 years, they will work for us and will do all the unpleasant jobs, poverty will be history. You just need to make one and you make them all, since they will build themselves.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Published on Jun 8, 2014

Softbank and Aldebaran announced the new PEPPER robot that detects people's emotions and engages them in meaningful conversations. Softbank is currently demonstrating the robot in two Tokyo retail outlets and plans to release PEPPER for sale later this year. The robot will sell for approxiamately USD$2,000. Softbank expects the robot to see wide market adoption as a companion or assistant.

www.scienceforums.net/topic/61164-robots/

This form of robot will one day be useful around one's home. In the mean time, we can buy lawn mowers, vacuum cleaners, and 3D printers to help around the house. Do dish washers, clothes washer/dryer, and toaster qualify as robots? Where do you draw the line between common machine and robot?

• 2 weeks later...

Why are we fascinated with making anthropomorphic robots? The design of H sapiens is an historical accident, not a refined considered engineering project. Instead of trying to design out all the inherent weaknesses wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to design purpose built robots? That way they can be more effective in the chosen field.

I presume the fascination is due to some sociological factor (we like to play god) but I was wondering if there was an engineering reason.

Why are we fascinated with making anthropomorphic robots? The design of H sapiens is an historical accident, not a refined considered engineering project. Instead of trying to design out all the inherent weaknesses wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to design purpose built robots? That way they can be more effective in the chosen field.

I presume the fascination is due to some sociological factor (we like to play god) but I was wondering if there was an engineering reason.

Because they are anthropomorphic.

However, good point. +1

Purpose built robots exist from the beginning of the industrial epoch* and used to be fascinating but are not so much these days. The struggle to make a robot that looks like a human and eventually surpasses him is the goal today.

*sinple machine tools , then automated, then CNC machines or todays industrial robots

-------------------------

And also maybe because our entire developed world is made upon the specifications of the human body. Our cars, our buildings, tables & chairs are made for us. An anthropomorphic robot could drive a car, or step a staircase, or use a kitchen. It is a parallel evolution to that of the automated kitchen & car. Automated staircase exist from long ago.

Edited by michel123456

Some jobs, for example cleaning up the Fukushima nuclear disaster, have requirements that an anthropomorphic design is well suited to perform; debris and stairs prevent wheeled or tracked vehicles from access, and valves are designed for hands to operate. On the other hand, most military drones, crawlers and walkers don't look human. Additionally, some robots are designed to look as humans because they are designed to interact with humans; thus, they need to recognize and mimic human emotions and otherwise be human friendly, such as having a soft exterior to prevent accidental injury to people. Although the human design evolved, it is superior in many ways to other forms for doing many things. Hands, for example are both strong enough to lift hundreds of pounds (over 100kg) and delicate enough to perform operations on babies.