Underestanding proof. Y U NO WORK

markus.dnd

Good day.

I was working on my set theory home assignment when I found out that I got no useful knowledge on how to construct proofs. I all ready have tried reading about proofs and making sure I can read simple proofs (As should be the one I need to construct) but now I have understanding that I do not have any real understanding about what proof exactly is nor how it should be formally constructed.

That is the reason I am here. I would like to get some tips and ideas on how to understand proof and help on working my way to create proofs.

PS, I am a University 1-st year student and actually have really bad math background. Also, I have been working on electronics and mechanics during my vocational training. Which means that I have 2 years between high-school and university... I feel it now.

Also, the date for the homework is not Sunday (as people usually come for help when the due date is tomorrow.) but the 8-ht of November. I believe that my involvement in the ESTCube ADCS subsystem managing should excuse my late waking on the homework. Thou 4 days should be enough to be able to create simple proofs.

I do thank in advance every one who will bother themselves with trying to help me and also am sorry for my bad English as it is not my native language.

Best regards,

Markus Järve

Good day.

I was working on my set theory home assignment when I found out that I got no useful knowledge on how to construct proofs. I all ready have tried reading about proofs and making sure I can read simple proofs (As should be the one I need to construct) but now I have understanding that I do not have any real understanding about what proof exactly is nor how it should be formally constructed.

That is the reason I am here. I would like to get some tips and ideas on how to understand proof and help on working my way to create proofs.

PS, I am a University 1-st year student and actually have really bad math background. Also, I have been working on electronics and mechanics during my vocational training. Which means that I have 2 years between high-school and university... I feel it now.

Also, the date for the homework is not Sunday (as people usually come for help when the due date is tomorrow.) but the 8-ht of November. I believe that my involvement in the ESTCube ADCS subsystem managing should excuse my late waking on the homework. Thou 4 days should be enough to be able to create simple proofs.

I do thank in advance every one who will bother themselves with trying to help me and also am sorry for my bad English as it is not my native language.

Best regards,

Markus Järve

The only method that I have ever seen be successful is to actually cponstruct proofs for yourself. There is no recipe for proofs. For any given theorem there may be several proofs. The mark of a good proof is clarity and valid logic. Elegance is nice but that comes with practice and increasing insight.

Some people catch on quickly. Some never do. Elementary set theory is a good place to start. Good luck to you.

You might also consider getting a copy of Daniel Velleman's How to Prove It. I'm afraid I haven't yet read it myself, but I've heard it's quite a good read, and the Amazon reviews, if they mean anything, seem generally good.

Proof-writing was something I struggled with somewhat when I was first introduced to it in high school geometry, but I've found them easier to deal with in college. I suppose it's just a matter of finding an explanation of the process that's compatible with the way your mind works, and as has been mentioned, practice is essential. Seeing an elegant proof, and especially constructing one yourself, can be a very satisfying experience, even if it's just an exercise that involves proving something trivial. Good luck, and have fun. :)