Photons

DarthDooku

I was thinking about the so called vacuum of space a while back, and wondered how gas takes the form it does in a perfect vacuum. In a perfect vacuum, all the particles of gas would just sink, like anything else. I saw on the science channel recently that there is something called antiparticles. I cant remember for sure, but i think that is what they were called. And these antiparticles seem to appear and disappear in and out of the physical world that we know of. So this accounts for part of what could make up the "atmosphere" of space.

To get to my point, on the same show they were talking about photons, particles of light. I thought, there are endless numbers of photons shooting through the universe at any given time. So wouldnt particles of light, photons, be another thing that proves that space is not a perfect vacuum.

Give me your thoughts on photons and antiparticles(if thats the right term im thinking of).

space is not a perfect vaccuum

it is impossible to create a perfect vaccuum as particles have a tendency to spread out. thus you end up with a gas at very low pressure. theoretically in a google (sp) years space will average like 1 hydrogen atom per cubic lightyear (expanding universe) but still will not be a perfect vaccuum.

as to photons they are not considered matter and thus are not counted for when talking about density.

Photons do not have a mass so in space there are photons but due to them not having mass they dont affect space being vacuum, however space is not a vacuum because of antimatter or dark matter as they are also called.

Photons do not have a mass so in space there are photons but due to them not having mass they dont affect space being vacuum, however space is not a vacuum because of antimatter or dark matter as they are also called.

Antimatter and Dark matter are not synonymous.

Oh yes thamks for correcting me how stupid :embarass: dark matter is completely different it has nothing to do with pairs of matter and anti-matter.

it is impossible to have a perfect vaccuum.

even in particle accelerators that cost billions they are incapable of creating perfect vaccuums.

in leo orbit the vaccuum is much weaker than the vaccuum on the moon. and likewise in interstellar space it is the strongest.

however stars are constantly propelling atoms of hydrogen and helium out into space at very high speed in the solar wind. onto that add neutrinos which also have a mass and are flying throughout space.

in conclusion space does have an atmosphere even without quantum fluctuation's