My central circadian clock is definately off. How to adjust it back to normal?

Guest wild_card_my

Guest wild_card_my

A month ago, in the duration of about 2 weeks, I have been very busy. They could be the busiest days of my life. I had my SAT preparation, my finals preparation, and a time and energy consuming assignment to be completed a week before SAT, which I took about 3 weeks ago....

There was once when i DID NOT sleep for 3 days, about 68 hours, I calculated. There were also 2 casses when I didn't sleep for 2 days. So, basically, I felt like I was going to die at that time. My mind hovered like I was high, my muscles seemed very weak, I could easilly drop a pencil when i was writing, speech didn't make much sense, and I muter a lot. It was a state of dyingness. I really felt like my body couldnt take it anymore and my mind could siply shut down anytime.

But they did not. My body didn't die, my heart is still running. I sat for the SAT in a considerably good condition only that:

I did not sleep the night before the test. Why? My internal clock had gone haywire. I can't tell night from day anymore, i sleep at 10am and wake up by 6pm. Sometimes the other way around. This is really tough. I can't seem to adjust my sleeping pattern back to normal. Occasionaly I force myself to stay awake during the day and try to sleep at night. But my body would break the self imposed rule, I still sleep at my messed up sleeping pattern. I could hold on from sleeping until 2pm, and I will wake at 10pm and the unhealthy sleeping pattern continues.

Can someone help me adjusting my sleeping patern back to normal? I would really appreciate your help.

p/s 3am and I'm not sleepy at all. I just woke up 4 hours ago at 11pm, yes, the time people start going to bed.

• 2 months later...

There was a study done a couple of years ago on this.

I am a psychology student, and I have heard the following recommendations. I represent that I have no qualification to diagnose, treat, or cure any type of psychological or phisiological ailment. Use this information at your own risk.

Organize when you think you should be sleeping and and describe when you do actually sleep and for how long.

Start incorperating larger than normal chicken and turkey portions into your dinners. These products are high in tryptophane, an amino acid that brings on tiredness, and also is released during periods of excersize.

Start exersizing regularly, this will increase the amount of tryptophane released in your system.

Basically my 'cure' for this particular case is a structure of excersize and increase in the poultry content you consume. With the increased levels of tryptophane you will be able to fall asleep more readily, and soon, with the proper routine, shock your body into sleeping when it should, and waking when it should.

If this does not work, consult your doctor about a perscription for Ambien.

Get back to me via PM or AIM with your results, i am anxious to see this previous research replicated on another test subject.

~Steve