2 questions on neutrinos

gib65

Hello,

A couple questions on neutrinos:

1) do they travel like photons? That is to say, as waves?

2) do they influence/interact with each other like charged particles do? For example, two electrons will repel each other due to their mutual negative charge. Do neutrinos affect each other in some way like this?

1) They might travel ''like'' photons. In this respect, the Weyl equation reduces to two de-coupled equations with a limit of M=0, where mass is equal to zero. It has been suggested you may even view the (very) small mass of a neutrino may act more or less as though it were a particle with no mass. In this case, you can find positive and negative solutions to the weyl equation which will represent neutrino's and antineutrino's. On the other hand, if you are asking if they act like waves, then all matter in the standard model has the state vector which corresponds to the wave function of a particle.

2) Not in respect to EM charge.

1) They might travel ''like'' photons. In this respect, the Weyl equation reduces to two de-coupled equations with a limit of M=0, where mass is equal to zero. It has been suggested you may even view the (very) small mass of a neutrino may act more or less as though it were a particle with no mass. In this case, you can find positive and negative solutions to the weyl equation which will represent neutrino's and antineutrino's. On the other hand, if you are asking if they act like waves, then all matter in the standard model has the state vector which corresponds to the wave function of a particle.

I barely understand the mathematics behind this (I am the farthest thing from an expert in this field) but I think I get the gist of what you're saying. I guess another way of asking this question is: does the quantum indeterminacy that applies to photons and other particles (with respect to their positions in space) apply equally to neutrinos... and I guess your answer is yes.

2) Not in respect to EM charge.

But in respect to any force? Or any means of interaction whatsoever?

1) Yes, the UP applies to every quantum system. Every system like this have what are called ''complimentary observables'' which are canonical commutation relations. This physical meaning allows them to be expressed as inequalities. Neutrino's are subject to the same laws.

2) They interact gravitationally for one.

Edited by Mystery111

2) They interact gravitationally for one.

Seems like rather a fine point. It is certainly a small interaction and not covered by any element of the Standard Model.

I would have expected to see it noted that neutrinos interact weakly, which is covered by quantum theory.

Seems like rather a fine point. It is certainly a small interaction and not covered by any element of the Standard Model.

I would have expected to see it noted that neutrinos interact weakly, which is covered by quantum theory.

You do, of course, he wanted an interaction, I gave him one, as negligable as it is.... mind you, I don't think he will be worried about remedial mathematics.

Edited by Mystery111

Yes, they have different mass.

So your saying a single neutrino and leave the surface of the sun, then for no reason gains and loses mass upon its journey to Earth? I'm not talking about different generations of neutrinos and electrons and protons, I'm talking about the changes of a single neutrino over distance.

Edited by questionposter

So your saying a single neutrino and leave the surface of the sun, then for no reason gains and loses mass upon its journey to Earth? I'm not talking about different generations of neutrinos and electrons and protons, I'm talking about the changes of a single neutrino over distance.

Not without reason... The oscillation of a neutrino (that would be fluctuations between different electron states) may seem like an odd case. Here, I suggest these readings;

http://carlbrannen.wordpress.com/2008/06/26/neutrino-oscillation-the-calculation/

Phys Rev D, vol 44 number 11 (Dec 1991) "When do neutrino oscillate ? Quantum mechanics of neutrino oscillations" by C. Guinti, C.W. Kim & U.W. Lee

Not without reason... The oscillation of a neutrino (that would be fluctuations between different electron states) may seem like an odd case. Here, I suggest these readings;

http://carlbrannen.w...he-calculation/

Phys Rev D, vol 44 number 11 (Dec 1991) "When do neutrino oscillate ? Quantum mechanics of neutrino oscillations" by C. Guinti, C.W. Kim & U.W. Lee

It seems like they have changing relative mass, not actual physical grams of matter I would hold in my hand, which still only results from the mixed measurements of the 3 different generations of neutrinos who interfere with each other. In other words, its not just a single particle, its a culmination of different types of neutrinos existing in the same relative location, and depending on when you detect them at what angle, you will get a specific measured mass generated by the interference between those neutrinos.

This seems just like how you can't distinguish between two different electrons in the same energy level so you only write one equation to describe both.

Edited by questionposter