Nicotine and Self Discipline

achoice2live

Hi all,

I recently stumbled upon an article suggesting nicotine addiction directly affects a part of the brain that impacts our self discipline. Unfortunately, I did not bookmark this article.

I am having a hard time locating peer review literature relating specifically to this topic.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to help me answer the following questions?

1. Does nicotine addiction negatively impact a persons ability to maintain self discipline?

2. Is there evidence to suggest that ex smokers significantly increase self discipline and is this a result of training the part of the brain that influences self regulation, through cessation attempts?

Please note that I am looking for links to peer review articles from the neurosciences and psychology sciences

Thanks!

It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I love this cool little review article; it's a discussion of how and why cold-turkey is still the most efficacious quit method. I think you'll find some items of interest there.

Thanks PhDwannabe, it's a good article and I have already used it :)

Though, I am actually looking for data suggesting self discipline is directly affected by nicotine. Thanks for the reply.