light over vast distances

tyler1

Kind of a random thought from someone who has no business dabbling in quantum theory but i was wondering if this has could have any validity...

Theorists have derived that the universe is expanding more rapidly over time by studying the changing differences in distance between bodies in space. (bodies that are millions of light years from here) They then compare these changing distances to the changing distances of closer bodies in space. (im sure your all aware of how this works but bear with me...)

They are basically looking farther back in time the farther away they look.

My question is...

Could light over vast distances (3,000,000,000 light years or so) cause an acceleration or deceleration of time within that light stream? Could EMR from major events like a supernova be distorted or distorting the space time continuum and causing ripples in our data?

Im not trying to dispute the expansion of the universe, I'm just wondering if mass amounts of radiation over long distances could be manipulated by themselves and possibly other forces like gravity.

Kind of a random thought from someone who has no business dabbling in quantum theory but i was wondering if this has could have any validity...

Theorists have derived that the universe is expanding more rapidly over time by studying the changing differences in distance between bodies in space. (bodies that are millions of light years from here) They then compare these changing distances to the changing distances of closer bodies in space. (im sure your all aware of how this works but bear with me...)

They are basically looking farther back in time the farther away they look.

My question is...

Could light over vast distances (3,000,000,000 light years or so) cause an acceleration or deceleration of time within that light stream? Could EMR from major events like a supernova be distorted or distorting the space time continuum and causing ripples in our data?

Im not trying to dispute the expansion of the universe, I'm just wondering if mass amounts of radiation over long distances could be manipulated by themselves and possibly other forces like gravity.

What are you even saying? The light from those distances gets stretched out some, and that's the only distortion I know of.

• 2 months later...

Despite how far in the past you look, the color shift will still tell you if it accelerating and decelerating, and as for the distortions when you deal with an object as big as a galaxy it's very hard to distort all of the light, maybe small amounts of it but not all of it and thus you would still see the red shift. The only thing I could think of that would distort a whole galaxy would be a blackhole about halfway between it and the observer. Even then the blackhole would be moving so the distortion would not last long.

If the universe was expanding faster in the past then the light from the more distant past would have more red shift than the light produced today.

Looking at light that was produced 13 billion years ago to measure the red shift gives you the red shift from 13 billion years ago - not necessarily what it is today.

We won't see that light and be able to measure its red shift for another 13 billion years.

How can we tell how fast the universe is expanding today? (certainly not by looking at something 13 billion miles away and 13 billion years ago.

Paul

• 1 month later...

hello tyler1

Correct PaulS1950: .....The Light specks we see today have to be different now than when the got under to here. The red shift, bending as they pass: black holes, massive stars and Galaxies ..... are surely different now than 3 billion years ago. By now they can be dead, turned to "Dark Matter" or the materials making the light has changed.

To your question of Space Time ripples, I am no expert; but t seems to me that some light could be moving away or that others could be moving away so fast that its relative lightspeed is now traveling faster than its "shock wave" thus it will no longer arrive here.