What is the difference of computer science and computer engineering?

albertlee

engineering: the creative application of engineering methods to the design and development of hardware and software.

science: the systematic study of algorithmic processes that describe and transform information: their theory, analysis, design, efficiency, implementation, and application - basically the science behind computers

they are both studies of computer hardware and software similar, but slightly different.

Science-

The branch of engineering science that studies (with the aid of computers) computable processes and structures

Engineering-

The application of science into commerce and industry through technology (ie-software and hardware)

Both useful in the technological world, and essential in business around thw world

From my experience, Computer Science is purely using electronics to accomplish certain goals. Computer Engineering is more geared towards actually understanding how all of the electronics works, and how to create different electronic circuit boards and whatnot.

in computer engineering, you're more likely to develop hardware/software development tools than anything else (to the best of my knowledge)

with computer science, you're more likely to create software... complex, math heavy software, assuming you use the skills you learn in college

I don't know about computer engineering studies... but CS studies are very, very math based... math is the language of science... a CS major is the guy that goes between the scientist and the computer

computer science is mainly software and algorithms etc... although it can be used i hardware... surely quantum computers and other advance computers made in labs would classify as computer science even though it is actual engineering?

I'm pretty sure that quantum computers would primarily be the work of engineers

... as a computer science student you are trained to know tons of logic behind comuter programs... but very little about how computers actually work...

I'm pretty sure that quantum computers would primarily be the work of engineers

but the entire way it works (all the hardware) everything would be designed by the scientists.

maybe it is an apporixmated definition to say the scientists design the stuff and the engineers build it?...

well, in general case, scientists are mostly dealing with experiments....

And they design the apparatus and build/carry it out themselves....

but, engineers are less dealing with experiments....

They probably only learn the knowledge the scientists have discovered and use it for practical aspects?

Albert

that'd be a good way of putting it... for some things, anyway

really, both fields are so broad that you can't classify them, except in a very broad sense

also, they each train one for such a broad group of tasks that almost any job in the field will require some additional, more specialized training (even if that training takes the form of "just doing the job"... most programmers are more of a burden than a help to their company during their first few months of working, until they get the hang of things)