NOT "faster than light neutrinos.”

pantheory

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sort of nanosecond resolution do you need for a signal that travels up and down by a mile, for example?

I am looking for a claimed accuracy of about +/- 5 nanoseconds. I could probably settle for one that claims +/- 10 nanoseconds but not less. I would first test on the level "shooting" north-south to get a null result. Then I would shoot east-west and would hope to see some small difference in light speed based upon the rotation of the Earth. Finally I would shoot from a mile high altitude with two fiber optic cables stretched downward for about 1 mile. If I would get a statistically significant positive result I would shoot the same set-up many times as well as exchanging timers and the set-up. I would continue for maybe several days/ weeks to get an average. After being satisfied with a positive result I would find another location to repeat the experiment. If I would continue to get a positive result as I expect, I would look for the best university affiliation that I could find to initially confirm and then endorse the results. After that I would publish probably with a post-grad co-author.

//

Edited by pantheory

Hm. Would you need a timer at each end, or would an effect be visible if you bounced the signal back and detected it at the same place it was emitted from?

Yes, I would need a timer at each end to measure the time for a one way trip, first one way then the other -- going back and forth many times. A reflector would give me the average speed of light which would be nothing new :)

//

Edited by pantheory