Take a college class or do self study?

Genecks

I think this thread is more aimed at people who already have a college/university degree.

That's the intended audience, but others can chime in as well.

I often consider learning things in my own time, such as furthering my computer science knowledge or engineering knowledge. At the moment, I'm interested in furthering my mathematics knowledge. I'd like to further my knowledge of engineering in order to start moving toward the realm of neural engineering. That's another priority on my list of things to do.

However, I've often considered that it's better to take the math course rather than self-study. Why? Because it earns me college credit, and a grade acts as a way of saying how well I can beat an exam asking me about material that is relevant to the material taught in the course. I don't believe in the "mastery" concept.

Furthermore, it keeps a person within a time-frame, within a schedule of time required to complete the course. And as it adds to college credits, a person could eventually get another degree on the side.

What are your views on furthering self-education?

Take a class or self-study?

Edited by Genecks

However, I've often considered that it's better to take the math course rather than self-study.

Depends on the subject matter. What math class do you have in mind ?

Calculus II, for instance.

Possibly linear algebra in the future.

To learn calculus properly -- not to simply become proficient at symbol manipulation but rather to understand what limits, integrals and derivatives really are -- it helps to learn from an instructor who has a deep understanding of mathematics. Discussions with fellow students who are learning the same material can also be very helpful. That usually means a university.

That same comment applies to linear algebra, though less so. It is possible to lose sight of the forest of linear algebra in the clutter imposed by the trees (matrices). It is quite easy once you understand mathematical abstraction, but a good instructor can help you do that.

However, recognize that at some level, and at some stage of advancement, all learning depends on one's ability to teach oneself. So, a great deal depends on you, and the relevant qualities are impossible to judge at distance in a forum such as this.

Edited by DrRocket

I think this thread is more aimed at people who already have a college/university degree.

That's the intended audience, but others can chime in as well.

I often consider learning things in my own time, such as furthering my computer science knowledge or engineering knowledge. At the moment, I'm interested in furthering my mathematics knowledge. I'd like to further my knowledge of engineering in order to start moving toward the realm of neural engineering. That's another priority on my list of things to do.

However, I've often considered that it's better to take the math course rather than self-study. Why? Because it earns me college credit, and a grade acts as a way of saying how well I can beat an exam asking me about material that is relevant to the material taught in the course. I don't believe in the "mastery" concept.

Furthermore, it keeps a person within a time-frame, within a schedule of time required to complete the course. And as it adds to college credits, a person could eventually get another degree on the side.

I tend to agree. I'm completing a degree at the moment (part-time) as I work full-time, and I think the stricter timeframes forces you to knuckle down. Self-study is great to an extent, but I find for me anyway unless you have rigid deadlines to meet you can always put it off.