help!. acetic anhydride

lewang

could anyone help me ?

I have a research on designing the production unit of acetic anhydride (used in the manufacture of aspirin),

I will be thankful if u support your reply with necessary details/ resouces and pictures or anything related to the

design of this unit.

Thank u so much Jakke for your reply.

As I know acetic anhydride can be used to generate aspirin. What I want exactly is to get about 50 kg of aspirin per day.

So, my question is how much it will cost to build or design a production unit of acetic anhydride that covers my need?.

I'm a little bit new to deal with such situations. Please, If you have any details or documents that can help me, I'll be thankful

I'm sorry, but I cannot quite see what you are asking for... Would you mind to specify for a foreigner?

I would have to side with Phi for All, for whom are you doing this research?

Acetic anhydride can be used for some very nasty things, so I would not be comfortable sharing that without at least some plausible background. It is also restricted in many countries.

I agree with the other posters here. If you need an industrial strength process & reactor for making acetic anhydride I am sure you can contact the the chemical engineering department of any university familiar with your company or perhaps where one of the employees in R&D or process chemistry might have graduated from - and they would be more than happy to give you a consultation on designing a process and purchasing/building the appropriate reactor/system if necessary.. You can also typically contact industry consultants that may have even built said reactors for other companies etc...

Best of luck with your research..

Cheers,

Spin

Edited by spin-1/2-nuclei

thanks alot for everyone . I just plan to apply for PHD scholarship and my thesis will be about acetic anhydride and its medicine products. Knowing such things will help me to come up with an optimal solution in order to make balance between the cost of the production unit and the output of that unit. My idea isn't related to specific country and honestly, I'm out of nasty things. As I told you, I just want the use of acetic anhydride in medicine and that's it.

• 3 weeks later...

Acetic Anhydride

the preparation of acetic anhydride, where Ac is an acetyl grop, and AcOH is acetic acid.

4AcOH + 2SCl2 --> 2AcCl + 2Ac2O + S + SO2 + 4HCl

It should be obvious that this reaction cannot be conducted with more than a very small ammount of water present,and that most of the SO2 and HCl will be evolved out as a gas. Alternatively, dry sodium acetate can be used. Sodium acetate can be dried by heating to the pure compound's melting point, while stirring vigorously as the water boils out. Another reaction uses the volatile and highly poisonous PCl3 reacting with acetic acid to form acetyl chloride CH3C(=O)Cl,and phosphorous acid H3PO3. The acetyl chloride then reacts with anhydrous sodium acetate and acetic anhydride is distilled out. Acetic anhydride can also be prepared by fast pyrolysis (at 700 degC) of acetone, producing ketene CH2=C=O, which is then reacted with glacial acetic acid to form the final acetic anhydride product.

sulfur dioxide forms an addition product with sodium acetate, which reacts with chlorine to produce either acetyl chloride or acetic anhydride, depending on the proportion of sodium acetate used. (German Patent 210805, year 1910) Acetic anhydride which contains a small quantity of acetic acid boils at around 138 degC. Cold acetic anhyride can remain unhydrolyzed in contact with water for a considerable period of time, but at 20 degC the hydrolysis proceeds rapidly.Acetic anhydride reacts with nitric acid at low temperature to form a compound with the formula C4H9NO7. This compound is probably (AcO)2NO2H·H2O Acetic anhydride reacts with N2O5 at low temperatures to form acetyl nitrate. (Pictet and Khotinsky, year 1907)

Edited by Anders Hoveland

Acetic Anhydride

the preparation of acetic anhydride, where Ac is an acetyl grop, and AcOH is acetic acid.

4AcOH + 2SCl2 --> 2AcCl + 2Ac2O + S + SO2 + 4HCl

It should be obvious that this reaction cannot be conducted with more than a very small ammount of water present,and that most of the SO2 and HCl will be evolved out as a gas. Alternatively, dry sodium acetate can be used. Sodium acetate can be dried by heating to the pure compound's melting point, while stirring vigorously as the water boils out. Another reaction uses the volatile and highly poisonous PCl3 reacting with acetic acid to form acetyl chloride CH3C(=O)Cl,and phosphorous acid H3PO3. The acetyl chloride then reacts with anhydrous sodium acetate and acetic anhydride is distilled out. Acetic anhydride can also be prepared by fast pyrolysis (at 700 degC) of acetone, producing ketene CH2=C=O, which is then reacted with glacial acetic acid to form the final acetic anhydride product.

sulfur dioxide forms an addition product with sodium acetate, which reacts with chlorine to produce either acetyl chloride or acetic anhydride, depending on the proportion of sodium acetate used. (German Patent 210805, year 1910) Acetic anhydride which contains a small quantity of acetic acid boils at around 138 degC. Cold acetic anhyride can remain unhydrolyzed in contact with water for a considerable period of time, but at 20 degC the hydrolysis proceeds rapidly.Acetic anhydride reacts with nitric acid at low temperature to form a compound with the formula C4H9NO7. This compound is probably (AcO)2NO2H·H2O Acetic anhydride reacts with N2O5 at low temperatures to form acetyl nitrate. (Pictet and Khotinsky, year 1907)

Copied directly from this website.

Typically when copying information directly from another web site, it is considered courteous to include some sort of reference or form of crediting information. Since this requisite formality obviously slipped your mind when making this post, I've done it for you. Don't worry, I've got your back.

Edit to add: I realise that you are the author of said web site, however it does not change the fact that all copy/pastes warrant a citation.

Additionally, regarding the proceedures you have mentioned. A few of them are somewhat dangerous and don't answer the OP's question, which was related to a more industrial synthesis of acetic anhydride.

Edited by hypervalent_iodine