Cytoplasm

Brainteaserfan

I did look it up, and I did discuss it with my teacher and biology help sites. They are not in agreement.

I'm not surprised you are confused to be honest, even multiple wikipedia pages which link to each other say different things. :blink:

The correct answer is that the cytosol consists of 70% water, hydrophilic proteins that aren't organelle bound, ions (K+ Na+ ect.) and polar macromolecules.

The cytoplasm consists of the cytosol, cellular organelles (apparently excluding the nucleus, not sure if that is true though) and non-polar substances in suspension as well as starch, glycogen and lipid droplets.

This means that free ribosomes and contained within the cytosol with is part of the cytoplasm.

I'm not surprised you are confused to be honest, even multiple wikipedia pages which link to each other say different things. :blink:

The correct answer is that the cytosol consists of 70% water, hydrophilic proteins that aren't organelle bound, ions (K+ Na+ ect.) and polar macromolecules.

The cytoplasm consists of the cytosol, cellular organelles (apparently excluding the nucleus, not sure if that is true though) and non-polar substances in suspension as well as starch, glycogen and lipid droplets.

This means that free ribosomes and contained within the cytosol with is part of the cytoplasm.

Thanks a lot Psycho! That is sort of what I had concluded from research, but neither my teacher nor the "help line" for (one of) my biology books agreed with that. So, now you have answered my question, there is one more thing. Is there a good source that you know of that states this so that I can show my teacher? (psycho says isn't going to be believed :)

Thanks a lot Psycho! That is sort of what I had concluded from research, but neither my teacher nor the "help line" for (one of) my biology books agreed with that. So, now you have answered my question, there is one more thing. Is there a good source that you know of that states this so that I can show my teacher? (psycho says isn't going to be believed :)

Link

That papers abstract starts by saying the ribosomes are soluble (therefore if free in the cell must be part of the cytosol)

Link

On page 4 Fig 1. shows the constituents of the cytoplasm to scale including ribosomes (it is described under the figure if you can't work out what the hell is going on in it :P)

Edited by Psycho

Link

That papers abstract starts by saying the ribosomes are soluble (therefore if free in the cell must be part of the cytosol)

Link

On page 4 Fig 1. shows the constituents of the cytoplasm to scale including ribosomes (it is described under the figure if you can't work out what the hell is going on in it :P)

Awesome (+1 :) )!