Things I hate...

Externet

Fuel price advertised as $ 3.199 as telling the public is stupid, they won't notice it is $3.20

Airline fares; meant to wring wallets instead of honestly charging for a service.

Laziness in writing and talking; where the correct wording fades by lack of use, as in Gasoline, Identification, Laboratory, becoming clipped as Zoo, Hippo, Math, and no institution cares nor does anything about.

Referring to night as anything after ~2 in the afternoon. Night starts at sunset.

The abuse of acronyms.

Seeing a $14.99 item at the fancy store when you bought it yesterday at the 99cent store. I suppose the reverse would be worse; but you could return the merchandise.

Losing your job because the manager decided the best way to get himself a raise and medals from the stockholders is to downsize and deal with chinese.

Having to listen a conversation with a dozen "you know" per minute content, specially after asking something. On television too.

Whining homeowners that cannot afford mortgage when they willingly overpayed a home aiming to make many thousands easily speculating instead of working.

Fathoms, nautical miles, acres, liquid ounces, doudecimal, farenheit, furlongs, bushels, mils, knots, ... ... ... endlessly.

Insurance companies bringing the economy down to the level of your soles instead of simply paying the doctor as in the great fifties. Medicines too.

Nintendos and other mind crippling toys for the youth.

Capitalizing every word.

I would hate to continue this post to the point of boring. Your turn... :)

I hate that we're losing a more supportive village mentality while sitting in our home fortresses trying to recreate the village with Facebook, smart phones and reality TV.

I hate that all the good curse words are tied to our anatomy and bodily functions, so that we end up constantly affirming a negative aspect of our sexuality.

I hate that so many people who barely passed high school are convinced they're right.

A government that goes on about "gold plated" pensions in the public sector when the average is about £4500 (which is well below the poverty line), especially when the MPs talking about it have one of the most generous pension schemes ever known.

Come to think of it, lying bastards in general, but especially the ones in power.

The phrase "British English".

I hate that we spend so much money and still get abominable roads to drive on.

I hate that I can't always tell the difference between market demand and corporate marketing. The first is based on what the consumer wants to buy and the latter is based on what business wants to sell.

A government that goes on about "gold plated" pensions in the public sector when the average is about £4500 (which is well below the poverty line), especially when the MPs talking about it have one of the most generous pension schemes ever known.

I hate that, intellectually, we claim to prefer the unedited truth, but our brains seem hard-wired to respond better to sound byte lies.

Fuel price advertised as $ 3.199 as telling the public is stupid, they won't notice it is $3.20

I hate it when people overestimate the public, because psychological pricing works.

And I hate it when the public overestimates the abilities of science, the government or in fact any abstract organization... because those organizations consist mostly of the public itself, which even falls for the old .99 cents trick.

Stuck up posters. That's great, you're educated, that's a lot more than I can say about myself, but I'm sorry, you'd have nothing to memorize and fuel your pompous attitude with if it weren't for speculation & some good uninhibited, creative discussion…. everything we know didn't just pop out of nowhere. Plus, this is a forum, free for anyone to join… we're not here discussing tomorrow's experiments at the large hadron collider where we work. (p.s. if you do work there, and are reading my stupid rant, please turn off your computer and get back to that). so chill out.

I hate pinup posters. They work loose, you re-pin it in a different hole but it's never quite right again, eventually you have too many holes and need to spackle and repaint, the paint never matches unless you do the whole wall, then THAT wall looks weird so you have to redo the whole room. All for some self-centered celebeauty who probably thinks an equation is an ugly Chinese person.

People who mock me -_-

I won't mock you. I'll just say that by the standards of many, perhaps most, of the contributors to this forum I am not very qualified as I don't have a degree. Sometimes I can make a useful contribution if a question is asked concerning basic principles in what has been my field of work but most of what is discussed is above my head. I have also floated an idea or two which have not been too well received - one of which has been described as the height of hubris. However I like this forum very much, people seem to listen to me and I welcome comments whether I personally like them or not. I have learnt quite a lot since I joined, although much of that comes from googling when some high flyer discusses something that I don't understand at the the time. People who live and work in ivory towers can sometimes appear be condescending but don't let that put you off learning from them and developing an interest in things scientific.

Edited by TonyMcC

I won't mock you. I'll just say that by the standards of many, perhaps most, of the contributors to this forum I am not very qualified as I don't have a degree. Sometimes I can make a useful contribution if a question is asked concerning basic principles in what has been my field of work but most of what is discussed is above my head. I have also floated an idea or two which have not been too well received - one of which has been described as the height of hubris. However I like this forum very much, people seem to listen to me and I welcome comments whether I personally like them or not. I have learnt quite a lot since I joined, although much of that comes from googling when some high flyer discusses something that I don't understand at the the time. People who live and work in ivory towers can sometimes appear be condescending but don't let that put you off learning from them and developing an interest in things scientific.

Thanks for the nice response. I think you're right. =)

• 2 weeks later...

Beyond hate; the concept of CAR/vehicle insurance.

Insurance is a good thing to have, but not the way politicians have managed to push it. And nobody reacts; blindly paying for it instead of fighting it.

It should be DRIVER's insurance.

If you happen to have two cars, and something else, as a boat, motorcycle, RV... No matter which of those five vehicles you drive; four of them pose zero point zero risk. And the insurance companies still fatten their pockets with them every minute. Why are we forced to pay insurance for a vehicle in a garage :angry:

There is no remote way in this planet you can drive even two or more vehicles at the same time.

DRIVER's insurance; to cover YOU/thirds driving ANY vehicle. Be your car, the rental one, auntie Emma's van or the neighbor's lent truck.

I hate the way a good story, with a good moral backbone, has brainwashed the world, into thinking that everything we know on this planet, and in this known universe was created in 6 days!!

I hate the fact that it's not butter!! I love butter!!

I hate paying taxes on everything!!

I hate that my grammar sucks it makes me sound stupid.

I hate that my ISP has blocked port 80 and wishes to charge me an extra $40/month to unblock it, reduce my dl speed by 10Mbps, and give me a static IP . . . . .

I hate that due to multiculturalism the average man outside my family, and in my community, is short and thin. I also hate how in general people stare up at me . . . .

I hate people who give me crap for excessive use of ellipsis . . . . I am an emotional person and people need to know when I am being emphatic!

I hate scar tissue and wish someone would find a cure dammit . . . .

I hate the cold, needles, shoes that blister my feet, growing old, getting fat, not having the money to buy a new outfit everyday : D

I might come back to this one, I forgot one of significant importance and . . . . . I hate forgetting things all the time.

I hate that editing my posts leaves a stupid message and all I've done is speel check . . . .

Edited by Wuz Here

God, I could go on all night.

The indie crowd - they've become a parody of themselves.

Olives.

Following through.

Sweating.

Happening upon a beautiful woman, at an inconvenient moment.

Regret.

Ignorance – that covers a hell of a lot, I know!

PR.

Gossip magazines.

Celebrity programmes.

The X Factor.

Trapped wind.

Cheap mattresses.

Inane chatter.

Losing.

Self-doubt.

Worrying – again, that's a big old net.

Nerves.

Many of the misguided decisions I made in my youth – it's unfortunate how difficult you can make life, for yourself.

I hate scar tissue and wish someone would find a cure dammit . . . .

The cure for scarring is to regenerate like salamanders do. We have everything we need to do it, but scarring has been selected because we don't burrow to hide when wounded. Or at least we didn't when we were hunters. Now it would be great. We'd even get our teeth back, probably.

I hate scar tissue, too.