EMP bombs – Weapon of mass destruction

AlinGaf

EMPs occure as a side effect of nukes, and the EMP its self is not very destructive (unless you are on life support or in a plane) so it would be caled a weapon of mass disruption, much like how biological and chemical/radiological (dirty bombs) they don't cause damage by destroying a vast area in one area nor can they change the landscape (destroy mountains) unlike the nuke blast that emmits the EMP. so a weaponized EMP would be more of an inconveanience than a threat.

But since you are indiscriminately targeting civilians, it would fall under the same umbrella as a cyber attack that did similar things.

yes but cyber attacks do not cause death, and nethier do non nuclear EMPs

yes but cyber attacks do not cause death, and nethier do non nuclear EMPs

Not directly, but when either one shuts down a hospital, or snarls traffic so first responders and ambulances are delayed, or other situations, there will be deaths caused by the attack.

Not directly, but when either one shuts down a hospital, or snarls traffic so first responders and ambulances are delayed, or other situations, there will be deaths caused by the attack.

death is not a direct result, it is abit like major flooding, those who survive the wall of water will have to contend with diseases... my point is that an EMP might indirectly cause death but it woud cause chaos and panic over vapourizing hundreds of civies

I have read a very interesting article and also I see a documentary about

EMP bombs Weapon of mass destruction

If the Russian will build something very smaller and sell it I think will create a lot of mess in this world.

What do you think about this "bombs" ??

EMP is over-hyped in the press. It is fairly easy to protect against high altitude EMP (HEMP), which is basically a plane wave pulse of high amplitude..

I once stood in a full-scale threat-level EMP test bed, and had forgotten a cheap credit-card calculator in my shirt pocket. It was exposed to a full threat-level pulse -- with no ill effects.

This is not to say that EMP is no threat at all. But if a decision is made to shield from HEMP then protection is relatively easy to implement. Source region EMP is another kettle of fish entirely.

Edited by DrRocket

EMP is over-hyped in the press. It is fairly easy to protect against high altitude EMP (HEMP), which is basically a plane wave pulse of high amplitude..

I once stood in a full-scale threat-level EMP test bed, and had forgotten a cheap credit-card calculator in my shirt pocket. It was exposed to a full threat-level pulse -- with no ill effects.

This is not to say that EMP is no threat at all. But if a decision is made to shield from HEMP then protection is relatively easy to implement. Source region EMP is another kettle of fish entirely.

faraday cages would protect agaist EMPs, so if you have an iphone and are worried about EMPs stick it into your budgees cage at night...