(21 deg. C): M

(60 deg. C): U

Sulfuric Acid, Fuming

(21 deg. C): U

(60 deg. C): U

Source: HDPE Chemical Resistance Chart

Edited by Ceti Alpha V

• 1 month later...

First, I doubt you actually have 98% w/w sulfuric- typicallly, reagent grade is closer to 95-96. Still, dangerous stuff. Second, sulfuric is NOT corrosive to plastic HDPE. Only thing over time (2-3 years), it will discolor the natural poly appearence, but never corrode/weaken the bottle. But, do not store it in an un approved poly, but only UN rated sg 1.9 DOT bottle.

Glass is excellent. But, heavier, on top of having to deal with the 1.86 +/- sg of the sulfuric.

To answer your Q, HDPE bottles discolor and weaken, it is advised you not use them for too long, I used some for ~4 months, they're

hanging in there but I will change them out. The best options in terms of plastic bottles are ETFE, FEP, TFA, PFA. I like glass OK but poly bottles

are now made to be drip resistant which is a high bonus for me. If you're handling H2SO4, you don't want even a drop on your gloves, to be

cautious.

If you are about to buy, go for the better quality since you don't have to worry about it for a while at least. (Try VWR)

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I was wondering if concentrated (98%) H2SO4 will degrade a HDPE container.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by mskittykat

• 2 weeks later...

To answer your Q, HDPE bottles discolor and weaken, it is advised you not use them for too long, I used some for ~4 months, they're

hanging in there but I will change them out. The best options in terms of plastic bottles are ETFE, FEP, TFA, PFA. I like glass OK but poly bottles

are now made to be drip resistant which is a high bonus for me. If you're handling H2SO4, you don't want even a drop on your gloves, to be

cautious.

If you are about to buy, go for the better quality since you don't have to worry about it for a while at least. (Try VWR)

"you dont want even a drop on your gloves"?? Why? Thats what gloves are for. I suggest you change glove brands/type, or you are taking some risk there. Thats the whole purpose of gloves. Also, suggesting HDPE is not suitable for sulfuric is baseless. It is known industry wide that 1.9 sg UN bottles are more than adequate for sulfuric. 4 months?? I have had HDPE bottles with conc H2SO4 for over 12 years. darkened yes. "weakened", I can not say as I have not tested them, but I you can not have a UN rating on 1.9 sg bottles if that were the case.

and as for VWR- yes, if you want to pay "store front" prices. Do not ever pay catalog price from VWR. Ask for a 40% discount or tell them you will shop elsewhere.